It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
(female)

KaraKaraKara HB User
Post Low LOW back coccyx pain during and after sitting and standing...

For the last few months I have been experiencing SEVERE pain in my coccyx area with some discomfort when sitting but the REAL pain is RIGHT after I stand up after sitting for awhile. I've been researching like crazy and I've come up with Coccydynia, but no I haven't fallen and fractured my tail bone, no I have not had children, and no I don't ride bikes. I did start jogging recently and I also have a job with a lot of lifting/pulling. I think this pain is getting worse. I've found:

"Coccydynia is a common type of tailbone pain, characterized by a deep ache in the tailbone region, sharp pain when switching between sitting and standing, and pain during bowel movements and sexual intercourse. Many times the source of coccydynia is unknown, but it can develop if you apply pressure on the tailbone for an extended period of time, such as you might do while cycling. The condition is often treated with anti-inflammatory medicine and physical therapy, but it can sometimes require surgery to remove the coccyx."

I do not have pain during sexual intercourse or having bowel movements, my pain is strictly to discomfort when sitting and EXCRUCIATING pain once standing.

-Is this common?
-What could be wrong with me?
-Should I see my doc, and will she take me seriously?
-What do my next steps need to be? (MRI, physical therapy?) I'm not too game for being "violated" and re-adjusted. Surgery to remove coccyx?

PLEASE HELP AND THANKS!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2012, 12:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User
Re: Low LOW back coccyx pain during and after sitting and standing...

Your doctor should take you seriously. While waiting for your appointment, you might try icing the area and using NSAIDs, as long as both are safe for you. You might want to keep a pain journal so that you can try to pinpoint the time of day the pain is worst and if you have done any activities that exacerbate the condition.

Your pain could be coming from the coccyx itself, but it could also be referred pain from a different area of your spine. Most doctors will tell you that pain is not normal, so if your doctor does not listen to your pain complaints, then it's time to find a new doctor.

There are many different techniques that might be performed for diagnostics and pain relief, including MRI and cortisone injections. I would suspect that surgery would be used as a last resort, and only if the pain interferes substantially with your life. Good luck and let us know how your appointment goes.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:09 AM   #3
(female)

lauri446 HB User

I could have written this myself. I recently noticed tailbone pain after sitting at the movie theater. Did not injure it, it just hurt to where I could barely sit. I have no other symptoms, just the tailbone pain and am hoping it will just go away, but it has been about 6 weeks off and on now. Just driving in the car is painful. All my research has lead to what you have found also. Coccydynia...and of course, a possible cyst or tumor. But I don't think you can research anything these days without a tumor being a possible cause. I am interested to see if you end up going to the dr. and what she has to say. I just started working full time and have very little time to go until summer vacation...good luck.
Would love to hear from anyone else who has had this and see what steps were taken to feel better.

[QUOTE=KaraKaraKara;4955888]For the last few months I have been experiencing SEVERE pain in my coccyx area with some discomfort when sitting but the REAL pain is RIGHT after I stand up after sitting for awhile. I've been researching like crazy and I've come up with Coccydynia, but no I haven't fallen and fractured my tail bone, no I have not had children, and no I don't ride bikes. I did start jogging recently and I also have a job with a lot of lifting/pulling. I think this pain is getting worse. I've found:

"Coccydynia is a common type of tailbone pain, characterized by a deep ache in the tailbone region, sharp pain when switching between sitting and standing, and pain during bowel movements and sexual intercourse. Many times the source of coccydynia is unknown, but it can develop if you apply pressure on the tailbone for an extended period of time, such as you might do while cycling. The condition is often treated with anti-inflammatory medicine and physical therapy, but it can sometimes require surgery to remove the coccyx."

I do not have pain during sexual intercourse or having bowel movements, my pain is strictly to discomfort when sitting and EXCRUCIATING pain once standing.

-Is this common?
-What could be wrong with me?
-Should I see my doc, and will she take me seriously?
-What do my next steps need to be? (MRI, physical therapy?) I'm not too game for being "violated" and re-adjusted. Surgery to remove coccyx?

PLEASE HELP AND THANKS![/QUOTE]

Old 10-19-2012, 07:35 AM   #4
(female)

Janster HB User

I'm dealing with the same issue.... and I've had this pain for about 7 months now. Back in May when it started, I thought it was just a pulled muscle or tendon. I had some other issues that popped up back in May - so I got those diagnosed first and foremost. I don't know if they are related.

I've recently gone to my Doctor who originally thought it was hemorrhoids. They didn't find anything, so I was sent to a Gastroenterologist to have a camera probe my colon and they didn't find anything. I was put on some sort of Rectal Spasm medication for 2 weeks and that didn't help.

My next step is seeing an Orthopedic doctor - appointment is in November.

My other issues (spinal) - I was put on Prednisone for 2 weeks several months ago. I thought that would fix the tailbone issue, but it didn't. It's been the same since May - but now, I think its getting worse. I feel a 'dull ache' almost all the time now. I'm on my feet all day at work and I very rarely sit for long periods - aside from sitting here at the computer or watching TV. I'm usually busy on my feet.

Just curious to know if you found anything!!??? Good Luck!

Old 12-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

CT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB User

My back pain started with a sharp pain to the left of the coccyx about 6 years ago. It turned out to be pressure on a sciatic nerve root. There are branches of the sciatic nerve which extend out all over the lower back, buttocks, and down the legs, so you can feel referred pain in any one of these areas if the sciatic nerve is being pushed on by disc material, a cyst, or bone.

The pains I thought I had over the years - possible tendonitis, a hip injury, etc. - all turned out to be sciatic nerve pain. It took an MRI, and the sciatic pain getting bad enough that it affected my left leg down to the ankle, for me to finally realize that had been the problem all along.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:57 AM   #6
(female)

GunnersMama01 HB User

Do some reading on Pilonidal Cysts.
I has severe tail bone pain off and on for years, and no doctor could tell me why. 4 years ago, the pain came on and after a week or so, I noticed a small lump almost directly over my coccyx. I couldn't sit, stand or even lay down without pain. It grew in size over another week, and turned to be a Pilonidal Cyst that had become infected, and I had to have it excised. Many people feel embarrassed or feel a stigma due to the common cause of these cysts, but it does happen to many people, and some are predisposed to it.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:12 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

It could be a lot of things, such as piriformis syndrome, a problem with the sacroliiac joint. a bone spur on a facet joint, etc. A good first step would be an x-ray and an MRI. For this you'd need to go to a good neurosurgeon or orthopedic surgeon who specializes in spinal surgery. If you're lucky, the cause will be very evident. Sometimes they see nothing wrong on the MRI but can diagnose you based on symptoms and certain physical tests they do in the office.

The most common cause is something pressing on a sciatic nerve root. I investigated all the above causes for years and found mine was a synovial cyst inside the spinal canal which was putting pressure on the sciatic nerve. The cyst was in the middle of my back, but the referred pain ran across the top of my buttock, the front of my hip, and eventually affected my ankle and foot. I got the cyst removed last week and all these pains are now gone.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:01 PM   #8
(male)

JerseyPhil HB User

CT:
My coccydyna started two weeks after L3-L4 decompression surgery (to resolve left leg sciatica, successfully, 6 months ago). Now I have left side anal, levator ani, and medial coccyx pain, along with minor leg pain (the leg pain is only a slight symptom). Since I also had L4-L5 stenosis at the time of my surgery, perhaps the remaining untreated stenosis is pinching nerves in my butt? One surgeon wanted to decompress both levels six months ago, but I went for the single level surgery. Was your butt pain significant and how did they suspect that it is from your back (as opposed to coccyx misalignment or levator ani or piriformis syndrome)?
Thx,
JerseyPhil

Last edited by JerseyPhil; 03-12-2013 at 07:24 PM.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:24 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

[QUOTE=JerseyPhil;5145975]CT:
My coccydyna started two weeks after L3-L4 decompression surgery (to resolve left leg sciatica, successfully, 6 months ago). Now I have left side anal, levator ani, and medial coccyx pain, along with minor leg pain (the leg pain is only a slight symptom). Since I also had L4-L5 stenosis at the time of my surgery, perhaps the remaining untreated stenosis is pinching nerves in my butt? One surgeon wanted to decompress both levels six months ago, but I went for the single level surgery. Was your butt pain significant and how did they suspect that it is from your back (as opposed to coccyx misalignment or levator ani or piriformis syndrome)?
Thx,
JerseyPhil[/QUOTE]

My cause became evident after we did an MRI which found a synovial facet joint cyst putting pressure on my L5 sciatic nerve root. We tried injecting it first to rupture it before surgical removal. The rupture was unsuccessful, so the injected cyst was then twice as large; pain increased and spread from my lower back across the buttock, to the front side of the hip and along the ankle. Pressure on the L5 nerve root was responsible for all these things - as soon as the cyst was removed, pain in all these areas went away.

It sounds like your pains are probably from a part of the sciatic nerve that is under pressure or perhaps just temporarily inflamed from your surgery. Have they done an MRI since?

Another way they can diagnose where pain is coming from is with nerve block injections.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:52 PM   #10
(female)

MSJAZZZZ HB User

I, too, could have written what you wrote (except I don't intentionally do physical exercise) LOL.

My physician had me X-rayed. That showed nothing; so next I'm going to the Neurologist (although I think this will be a waste of time).

One thing different about my situation is that I've lost 126 pounds over the past year. My bones are all of a sudden hitting the seats...whereas before, they did not. So I can imagine that he will say..."you'll get use to it."

Last edited by Administrator; 03-31-2013 at 08:33 PM.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:41 PM   #11
(male)

JerseyPhil HB User

One more suggestion: see if your Doc will arrange for a seated X-ray. A typical lying down X-ray may show a nice straight coccyx. But, upon seating, the small bones may be dislocated or ms-aligned causing pain.
My pain Doc did that and my bottom coccyx segment is shifted backwards upon seating. Injections and physical therapy may help.

Phil

Old 03-31-2013, 06:59 PM   #12
(male)

JerseyPhil HB User
Low LOW back coccyx pain during and after sitting and standing...

CT:
Yes, I obviously thought that the surgery had a direct effect (due to the coccydynia starting 2 weeks afterward). I did have two MRIs since, nothing remarkable. But, I had one sitting Xray that showed a slightly dislocated bottom coccyc segment (upon leaning backwards). I also get the butt pain immediately if I sit w/o a coccyx cushion. Odd that a pinched nerve or other lumbar/back effect would be so immediate. Lot's more investigations underway...
Thx,
JerseyPhil

Closed Thread

Tags
coccyx, pain