It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
(female)

tdiorio HB User
MRI reading 8 weeks post op

Hopefully someone can tell me what this means. I am 8 weeks post discectomy/laminectomy minimally invasive.
MRI reports- There is more extensive enhancing epidural tisssue as well as some enhancement of the left S1 nerve root. Much of the tissue likely represents granulation tissue, however findings are suspicious for a recurrent disc extrusion with progression of loss of height of the L5-S1 disc and more extensive enhancement of the disc and the adjacent endplates. There is enhancing granulation tissue extending into the bilateral neuroforamina.
Any insight into this would be appreciated.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
(male)

SFlorida HB User
Re: MRI reading 8 weeks post op

How did you get your results and why didn't you ask your doctor?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Was your surgery on the L5-S1 disc?

Old 04-05-2012, 11:48 PM   #4
(female)

tdiorio HB User

I was given a CD and a copy of the report from the hospital. Yes it was L5-S1. I have an appointment with the neurosurgeon on the 10th, I just wanted to know if anyone could tell me now what it all meant. I get the part about another rupture, I was wondering I guess what granulation tissue is. I guess I will just have to wait till the 10th. Sorry to have posted here.

The following user gives a hug of support to tdiorio:
SFlorida (04-06-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 12:52 AM   #5
(male)

SFlorida HB User

It's good you posted, maybe someone who knows the answer will respond before your appointment. Good luck.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:44 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

My guess is that you are still having pain that you had not expected at 8 weeks post-surgery. I can give you a general idea of the report, but as always, a MRI is one piece of the puzzle which needs to be correlated with the surgeon's physical exam, a basic neurologic exam and your report of your current symptoms to be meaningful. Sometimes we read the words on the radiology report and tend to think the worst without really understanding the full picture.

That being said, granulation tissue is a collagen rich tissue that fills in after surgery. In some cases it is pretty much the same as what is often referred to as scar tissue. However, it can also just be tissue that forms as the surgical site heals.

It looks like there is additional tissue that is enhancing the S1 nerve and also taking up space in the foramen at this segment. The report indicates that this "tissue" could be the granulation tissue or it could be disc material that is being expressed from the disc (as you state, perhaps it has ruptured or reherniated).

It may be that you still have quite a bit of inflammation from surgery and that is accounting for this enhancement. If that is the case, your surgeon may try a round of prednisone or a steroid, or perhaps want you to have an ESI to see if it will move the tissue off the nerve and out of the foramen.

You just have a couple more days to wait until you get the details from your surgeon. Please let us know how you are doing.

Closed Thread