It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2012, 07:39 AM   #1
(male)

riley1977 HB User
little embarassed... but here it goes

ok, i am 4 days post op on a l5-s1 microdisctectomy. i was feeling great, the radiating nerve pain that i had prior to the surgery was gone.... i had not "pooped" for three days...so yesterday i put in a fleet suppository, and found out why i hadn't "pooped". it is because i was compacted...after the straining and bearing down, the deed was done...the next day upon getting out of bed, the radiating nerve pain was back....now i am a pretty positive person, and the pain is nowhere near what it was before the surgery....but is it possible that i re injured myself due to the straining and bearing down when i was "pooping"?

Old 04-06-2012, 09:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: little embarassed...but here it goes

Welcome to the board. Never be embarrassed by any question. Getting systems of the body back to normal is a big deal.

Try not to worry. While it is possible you may have reherniated, it is more likely that you have just irritated some tissue that was still a bit inflamed, causing it to swell a tad more -- just enough to press on the nerve again.

You might try icing your lower lumbar back -- 15-20 minutes per hour, being careful to protect the skin -- to ease the pain and help with any new inflammation.

Continue to follow all the surgeon's instructions, being careful to avoid twisting, bending and any weight restriction you were given. If the pain is increasing during the next week, you may want to call your surgeon.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
riley1977 (04-06-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

cheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB User

I asked a very similar question post-fusion. My Dr Dad (his partner did my surgery...he's also a neuro) said straining might bumpb up soreness but tha it would not cause any real harm and that I didn't need to worry about "breaking anything" or "messing it up"

The Following User Says Thank You to cheryl1213 For This Useful Post:
riley1977 (04-06-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 07:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]The one thing that you need to make sure is that you get enough fiber in your diet so that you avoid this. You also need to make sure that you keep up your water intake and get as much walking in as you can. It will help with keeping you regular......adn welcome! /FONT]

Old 04-06-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
(male)

SFlorida HB User

If you have trouble pooping the best thing for me is to drink 2 or 3 cups of coffee. It goes right thru me. In fact I had to stop drinking coffee when my back started hurting for fear that I would not be able to get up and go to the bathroom in time. I'm a little constipated from the Vicodin, but I'm only taking one a day so it's not too bad. Still won't go back to coffee until I am feeling much better.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:31 AM   #6
(male)

riley1977 HB User

I have been up most of the night, soratic pain very much equal to what it was prior to surgery...any pointers??? i have been icing, and walking, to no avail.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #7
(male)

MauiJohn HB User

I feel your pain. I experienced a similar problem after my last multiple-level fusion. Hadn't gone for several days. Strained so hard and the pain was so bad I thought I was going to pass out. Actually put myself into a panic attack. (had never had one before and I thought I was going to die). When the hospital's doctor came around and heard that he went overboard and ordered a suppository, 3 enemas, AND had me drink an entire bottle of a magnesium drink they use before a colonoscopy. Cleaned me out but good. Couldn't stop going for several days and it took away all the strength I had to where I couldn't even stand up for days. Surgeon did x-rays and said nothing was amiss even though I had strained it felt like I had broken everything in my back. Told me it was all just muscle strain which can feel like that. I know it sucks, but you will get better.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: little embarassed... but here it goes

If you are taking pain medication, you might want to take a stool softener and be sure to drink LOTS of fluids, and high fiber foods. You don't want to have to strain again. Prune or blueberries and their juices are good for most people.

Keep icing and take short walks, but do not tire yourself out. Rest is every bit as important.

When I have sciatic pain, I always feel better if I can lie flat on the floor and put my legs up on a big bolster from the knees on down, or rest them on a sofa or chair. Maybe it would help you, too.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #9
(female)

Live4them HB User

I went thru the same thing. I started taking 1 Metamucil capsule every day with plenty of water. It has been a life saver and no bad stomach pains that I can not stand

Old 04-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #10
(female)

Live4them HB User

[QUOTE=riley1977;4957281]I have been up most of the night, soratic pain very much equal to what it was prior to surgery...any pointers??? i have been icing, and walking, to no avail.[/QUOTE]

As for the pain , take your medicine . I had the same issue 1 week after and thought the surgery was a waste of time. But you probably just are having a flare up . Be patient , lay flat with your legs elevated at the knees and think positive thoughts , I will keep you in my prayers . I know how frustrating it could be but it will get better .

Old 04-08-2012, 06:32 PM   #11
(male)

SFlorida HB User

[QUOTE=riley1977;4957281]I have been up most of the night, soratic pain very much equal to what it was prior to surgery...any pointers??? i have been icing, and walking, to no avail.[/QUOTE]

I find that sleeping on my stomach helps me feel better, even when I get up. I used to sleep on my stomach but with my legs around a body pillow, I don't do that any more, now my legs are flat. My back pain is getting less as each day passes thank God. I am able to turn over a little better than before. I can almost bend down to reach something now, if it's about a foot off the ground and I am holding on to something I can bend my knees and get it. Good luck for a speedy recovery.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:05 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Hi Riley! Glad you are through with your surgery and on the road to recovery. I've got my 12th spinal surgery coming up this Thursday and will have an extension of an existing fusion from C4-T4. With this surgery my spine is fused from C4 thru S1, fused SI joints and a hip replacement. I am on a very high dose of pain medication daily for chronic pain and I know constipation! I would have to agree with the other posters about the issue of straining to have a bowel movement and the chances that you could re-injure your spine or undo all the work of the surgeon. I would like to say though that I did cause damage to an existing fusion after one of my surgeries because of the intense straining that I had. But I'm suffering from severe osteoporosis which makes it difficult for screws and hardware to stay well anchored. Since my surgery is Thursday I started my "bowel process" early yesterday morning - 3-4 laxative tablets in the morning, 2 more last night. Four more this a.m. and 3 more this afternoon. Tonight I will try a Fleets enema but I probably will STILL NOT have a bowel movement until late Wednesday night after another round of laxatives/enemas. BUT....I'll at least go into surgery knowing that my system is cleaned out and I won't be focusing and worrying about having to strain to go to the bathroom. When I get home from the hospital I'll continue doing whatever it takes to be able to keep things moving. Good luck to you and I hope your have a speedy recovery! BB

Closed Thread