It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2012, 08:56 AM   #16
(male)

One day HB UserOne day HB User
Re: Sacroiliac pain and Acupuncture?

[QUOTE=josh1982;4961829]One day - I think you are right about my L5-S1 disc and nerve root (not my S.I joint)

When i palpate near/around the facet joint at L5-S1 on the right side. I can increase the intensity of my burning butt/leg pain on the right side. I get the best effect when i am standing.

Be cautious when trying to diagnose on your own. My symptoms have constantly changed from one week to another. From a lumbar disc protrusion with S1 nerve compression to an iliolumbar ligament tear to piriformis syndrome to S.I joint pain and now back to a lumbar disc protrusion with S1 nerve compression. My MRI seems to be true.

I will assume your doctor had requested an MRI of the SI joints[/QUOTE]

Josh,

I'll I can say is that we've spent well over 20,000 trying to figure out what is wrong. After several lower back MRI's and one SI joint MRI - they still don't really know for sure. My PT thinks it's SI joint instability mixed with lower lack issues. My Dr. has constantly sent me for scan after scan with no clear "there it is".

Because of the "it could be this or that" the Back Dr's have backed away for any long term plan.

My SI MRI showed a right multifidus tear. Which they can't figure out.

One thing for sure - these back issues are not like any other injury! When I had knee surgery it was one month of therapy, then surgery, then rehab - done. These back issues can drive someone mad.

It's like this:

Me - Dr. I can't place any weight of my left leg and I keep falling down in severe pain.

Dr. - Well, you've had this issue for several years.

Me - yes. Can we fix it already?

Dr. You've already been told that nothing can be done. Perhaps a change in jobs? You're not 19 anymore

Me. I've already changed jobs, Dr. And it isn't about my job because I can't even take vacation with my family because I can't sit down more than 15 minutes. I want my life back

Dr. We could send you for more injections?

Me - I can't afford paying 2800 for one week of cure. We've already tried 14 different shots and my bank account can't deal with any more. I want this fixed

Dr. what kind of seat do you have at work?

etc,etc,etc

Sorry for the rant. If i miss one day at work my job is history and I can't do much of anything right now. I start work at 3 this afternoon

Last edited by One day; 04-15-2012 at 08:59 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2012, 04:24 PM   #17
(male)

josh1982 HB User

I am happy to say that after 19th treatment of acupuncture. The professor Cheung has tried another approach. He is needling the disc protrusion at L5-S1 and breaking apart the disc material for what felt like a half hour. I am feeling less pain in my legs and my back pain has eased considerably. I would not trust this with any acupuncturist it has to be at the hands of one who truly knows what they’re doing.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:27 PM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

twohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB User

Josh, you really need to get evaluated by a spine surgeon who does lumbar spine surgeries in addition to SI joint fusions. This doesn't mean you have to have surgery. It just means you need to have the right doctor evaluate and diagnose your problem(s). Most spine surgeons are not trained to evaluate the SI joint, so you need to do research to find out if the one you're seeing is.

There is a very strong ligament that runs from the SI joint on each side to the L4-L5 disc space, so very frequently lumbar spine problems and SI joint problems go hand in hand.

There has been research done that has shown when people complain of back pain, very frequently it's found the source of pain is actually their SI joint or hip. Pain in all three of these areas tends to be somewhat diffuse, and patients often can't tell for sure.

If your pain truly is coming from your SI joint, there are several newer methods of fusing the SI joint which are showing great promise. Remember, however, that the science of fusing the SI joint is in its infancy in comparison to lumbar fusions.

Best wishes!

The Following User Says Thank You to twohands For This Useful Post:
josh1982 (04-16-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #19
(male)

josh1982 HB User

That is the iliolumbar ligament. It gave me a lot of problems for the last few weeks. It was very swollen on the right side. A lot of my back pain shot up the iliolumbar ligament. After long walks the ligament became like an "aura" of sharp pain. As a matter of fact it is swollen now. When i perform the straight leg test laying down, the pain is felt along the ligament at about 30 degrees.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #20
(male)

josh1982 HB User

What is your height to weight ratio? This plays a rather important role in whether you rapidly heal from an injury.

Try looking at a height to weight ratio chart and see where you stand.

Also, have you ever been diagnosed with Celiac disease? This is a gluten intolerance that causes a lot of pain in the SI joint area. This may be as simple as eliminating gluten from your diet.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-16-2012 at 11:48 AM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website, for any reason.

Closed Thread