It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
(male)

ryandelut HB User
Really skinny wrist/body

Hi, Im 18 but I am really concern about my body. First, I am really skinny and I eat a lot. My wrist is about 4-5 inch circumference. In school, i have the tiniest wrist in all my classes. My dad and mom do have a small body type but my wrist is too small. Is there a way to help me?

Old 04-12-2012, 11:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User
Re: Really skinny wrist/body

Hi there -- welcome. I don't know if you're getting to get a lot of answers, as most of the people who read this area have back-specific stuff going on.

Does your wrist hurt? Or, do you have weakness in your wrists? If not, I wouldn't fixate on your wrists too much. But, if you have trouble gaining weight, you might have an underlying disorder. For example, Krohn's disease is a disorder of the intestines that causes difficulty in absorbing nutrients and makes it really difficult to maintain a healthy weight. Have you had a regular doctor's check-up recently?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2012, 06:00 AM   #3
(male)

ryandelut HB User

Thanks for replying!! Nothing hurts in my body. I did look up Crohn disease, i found that I do get diarrhea frequently but i just thought, it is just the food i eat. I havent been to a doctor for 3 years since I dont really get sick. Do you think its time for me to go?

Old 04-13-2012, 07:51 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

peps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB User

Celiac disorders also could be a factor. That is an intolerance to wheat gluten, which is in a lot of our foods. My mom was diagnosed with that a couple of years ago. Have you had an issue with anemia at all? If not, then celiac is not likely, but still one other thing to consider.

Hyperthyroidism is something else to consider if you are not holding weight.

A check up with your doc, and some tests should be enough to tell if you have some health condition behind things. If there are no underlying health conditions then you possibly just have a high metabolism. If you are an active person as well, that also helps keep the weight down.

My oldest two sons (early 20's) are both very lean, active, and can eat me out of house and home when they visit, and both are perfectly healthy. They take after me in that respect.

I am a small boned person, and was always one of the smallest, skinniest people in my school too. I was always an active person who spent a lot of time outdoors doing things, and could eat anything I wanted. I never worked out, but the activities I was usually doing was just as good as a work out. My wrists are a little over 5" around, and I am in my mid-40's. Not as active as I use to be due to some back issues that limit my activities.

Go see your doc, get a check up, and if there is nothing behind it, don't worry about it and enjoy being able to eat anything you want!

Old 04-14-2012, 10:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User

Lefty is correct -- you may be blessed with a great metabolism. If so, enjoy the freedom to eat as much as you please, but still concentrate on healthier foods. Some thin folks make the mistake of eating poorly, which can cause malnutrition or high cholesterol without any weight gain.

She's also right about it being it's time for a check-up with your doctor. Let the doctor know about your concerns about your wrist size and low weight. You might be perfectly healthy or you might have the beginning of condition which could benefit from early treatment.

Last edited by SweetPeainSF; 04-14-2012 at 11:22 PM. Reason: spelling

Closed Thread