It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
(female)

CLARE1974 HB User
grinding and clicking in neck

Hi wondering if anyone can give me an idea as to what this may be, ive had a clicking and grinding in my neck for a while now , its almost like crunching . I get a lot of headaches but more lately i have had a pain in my right wrist and down into my little finger and also pain feet only on the outside down towards the little toe . I have been to see a gp who has ordered me to have an xray , i cant remember having any kind of injury which may have caused this and i getting quiet worried now as to what it could be .

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2012, 11:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User
Re: grinding and clicking in neck

Hi Claire -- folks on the internet can't really diagnose you, but I can tell you a little about my neck problems and you may see some similarity in symptoms. I have always had tightness in my shoulders and can pull my shoulders back into place and straighten my neck and get lots of (non-painful) popping. Last June, I had severe pain in my neck, along with a tugging feeling into my arm and hand. The tugging progressed to weakness in my left hand.

An MRI showed that I had a small disc herniation in my neck. Fortunately, my issue was almost entirely resolved with one epidural steroid injection in my neck. This is a fairly routine medical procedure. I still get a little pain on occasion, and I use a traction device to keep my neck issues under control.

I have no traumatic injuries, but something these things happen. In my case, I have hypermobility in many joints, which probably contributed to my herniation. The X-ray will show your doctor whether you have any scoliosis, loss of the natural curve, or loss of joint space. You may need a follow-up MRI which will image your soft tissue and would definitively show any disc damage. Hopefully, your situation can be resolved.

The Following User Says Thank You to SweetPeainSF For This Useful Post:
CLARE1974 (04-15-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2012, 04:27 AM   #3
(female)

Serial HB User

Why does insurance and Dr, recommend X-rays when they are so limited in what they can detect. And the poor patient is thinking, they are losing ther mind and this problem causes so much anxiety. MRIs should be the first thing recommend.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User

X-rays are cheap, easy to schedule, quick to process, and don't require pre-approval. (My insurance just changed its policy to require pre-approval for MRIs.) X-rays can catch certain things and will often let the doctor know if an MRI is warranted. Sometimes symptoms indicate ordering an MRI right away -- I had back pain with symptoms extending into my lower legs, so the doctor ordered an MRI at my first office visit.

Can be frustrating to have to wait, though, if the doctor orders X-rays, then another appointment, then schedule MRI, then wait for results, then figure out a course of treatment.

Closed Thread