It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
(male)

SFlorida HB User
Does anyone here go to Physical Therapy for back problems

How often go you go?
What do you do there?

I'm thinking of going so that at least I can learn some exercises that I can do at home to keep my disk from herniating again as I am getting better but thinking back I've had minor back problems late October, and late December, but they were not as bad as this time in late March.

When my mother was alive we did go to PT for a while because of her Parkinson's. So I know somewhat what they did for her.

Last edited by SFlorida; 04-15-2012 at 04:54 PM.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Does anyone here go to Physical Therapy for back problems

Usually it is 2-3 times a week. A good PT will provide some "modalities," that is, ice or heat and electric stimulation, some hands-on massage type work, and some stretching and strengthening exercises. He will also suggest "homework" exercises for between sessions.

Ask your doctor for a prescription, and also ask your doctor what exercises you should NOT do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2012, 09:59 PM   #3
(male)

SFlorida HB User

thanks for the info. I did get a scrip for it, now I just have to find a place near me that will accept my insurance.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User

The modalities might include traction, which was the one thing that eased my radicular pain. If it helps, ask the therapist how to self-traction, so you can get relief at home between visits.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:48 PM   #5
(female)

sandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB User

I had a home traction device before my fusion and was unable to get relief from that. I know a lot of people do and it is a great first step. An inversion table is great too, hot tub, ice and heat therapy. I wish you all the luck in the world and hope it helps you. definitely won't hurt anything. Stick with it dont give up. In my case it got worse before better with P.T. It is nice to have the guidance and learn the proper way to stretch and proper exercises so you arent hurting yourself. Sorry you are going through this and I hope it gets better for you. There is nothing worse than back pain. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

C5-C6 tear/buldge
C6-C7 ACDF
T1 - T5 neuroforaminal, lesions, facet arthropathy
Disectomy L5/S1
Anxiety
PTSD
Chronic Pain

Old 04-15-2012, 11:11 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User

There is a lot of controversy with inversion tables, because being upside can cause problems. Some folks avoid these problems by only partially inverting -- just barely going past horizontal. Be aware of the risk if this is a tool you choose to use. You can also self-traction lying on a tall table, face down, with your legs hanging over the edge.

For office visits, some physical therapists will put you in a machine, while others will perform manual traction using a strap around your hip area. I found the manual traction worked better for me. The traction was never a permanent solution, but got me a day of relief at the beginning, which progressively shortened to 15 minutes. Hence my surgery.

If anything causes additional pain, particularly radicular pain, tell your therapist. He/she should not push you to do anything that causes pain. The feeling of "work" is okay, but not pain.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #7
(female)

Soccermom3 HB User

I go every week and it is very helpful. They show you great excersices and stretches for your back. I would definately recommend it.especially if you have has back problems. Tjey also the correct ways to lift and bend to prevent further injuries.

Closed Thread