It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
(female)

vpeters26 HB User
Severe back pain... any advice??

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site and am glad I found it since I know no one who can relate to the back problems I'm having. Here's my story:

I'm 26 yrs old, have two kiddos ages 7 and 15 mths. I've never had any back problems before besides occasional lower back pain here and there every few months or so. However, after having my daughter, my lower back pain began to hurt. I didn't give it much thought since I held her alot and was breastfeeding. However, within the last 5 months my back has gotten so much worse. The pain is constantly there. The pain is no longer on my lower back, but right above it and below my shoulder blades. In the last 2 wks the pain has moved up to my neck and it hurts to look to the sides. It's so intense that I cannot sleep very much anymore. Ibuprofen won't help, nothing seems to help. I've done physical therapy for 2 mths and continued to do my stretches after that and it didn't help. Went to a chiro for 2 mths and that didn't help either. In the last month I've been working out doing walking, lots of stretching and yoga everyday and that's not helping either. My doctor said to lose weight and that should help, but I don't think I'm that overweight to be causing such severe pain. I'm 5'3" and weigh 150. I mean after I had my first born I was at 180 for 1 yr and never had any back problems and I wasn't even working out then. I did however go back to my pre-pregnancy weight which was 120 lbs.

I thought the pain was due to holding the baby, but then I think back to when I had my first born and I never had this problem. I even had a daycare and no problems. My 15 mth old is walking now so it's not like I'm holding her all the time aside from putting her in her high chair or carrying her to the car or so on. This pain is so bad that there are time where I can't move or pick up the baby. Even a hug will hurt my back. I cry sometimes just because of how bad this pain is.

Help please. Any advice would be appreciated. I have an appointment with a neurologist later this week, but I would love to get some advice or questions I could ask. Anything would be helpful.

Last edited by vpeters26; 04-15-2012 at 10:16 PM.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: vpeters26
sandiemas (04-15-2012), SFlorida (04-15-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #2
(female)

sandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB User
Re: Severe back pain....any advice??

did you have an epidural during labor? you might have some residual pain from that but 15 months is a long time to hang on to that pain and if it's gone up to your neck sounds like you might have a pinched nerve or buldging disc. are you having shooting pain down your hands or arms or legs? does it hurt more in the morning or after you move around a lot do you feel better after exercise or worse? how long until you see the neurologist? do you have time to keep a pain log so that you can know when it is worse than when it's better? do you get any relief from ice? or from heat? if you get relief from ice it would indicate maybe a bulging disc or pinched nerve or something swollen that the ice helps to relieve. if you get more relief from the heat it would indicate more of a muscle strain that he is able to relax and give you some relief. those are some questions the neurologist might ask you can you might want to have prepared and ready. I would definitely request in upper lower mri if your insurance will cover that way they can get a good idea of what's going on in the best way to help you. in the meantime it sounds like you're doing what you should exercise in the stretches just don't overdo it that can cause more harm than good sometimes.

C5-C6 tear/buldge
C6-C7 ACDF
T1 - T5 neuroforaminal, lesions, facet arthropathy
Disectomy L5/S1
Anxiety
PTSD
Chronic Pain

Last edited by sandiemas; 04-15-2012 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Missed typo....

Old 04-15-2012, 10:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User

Hi -- welcome! I have lots of questions:

Is your pain solely in your back? Do you have any pain in your legs or buttocks? Do you have any numbness? Even the pinky toes?

Have you had any images performed? Most doctors will start with an X-ray. If there are any vertabrae closer together than expected or any osteophytes, then they might also want to get an MRI. Has your doctor evaluated you for muscle spasms? If you are having widespread back pain, which seems to be spreading, you might be having muscle spasms, and an anti-spasmodic can be really helpful (but probably should only be taken if you are done breast-feeding).

What type of doctor did you go to first? Have you been evaluated by a sports medicine doctor or by a physiatrist?

Keep in mind that seven years ago, your body may have had an easier time dealing with post-pregnancy weight and carrying a little person around. Now that you are a smidge older (but still young!), your body might be more affected by these challenges. Did you have any pain or complications during childbirth? (You might not feel comfortable posting these, but don't forget to discuss them with your doctor.)

Did the physical therapist give you any core strengthening exercises? Has any healthcare provider watched you pick up the baby? Be careful to lift the baby straight up, using your legs, and avoid twisting while lifting.

Sorry you are having such bad pain!

Old 04-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
(female)

vpeters26 HB User

Thanks Sandie. Yes I did get an epidural with both my kids. Ice and heat does not help. I bought a heating pad and that didn't help. I also did my own ice packs like my physical therapists suggested and put it in every area on my back that hurt and it didn't help. I'm not exercising hard, just doing core strengthening workouts on my stability ball and it's not helping. It's not getting any worse, just not helping. I have my appt tomorrow with the neurologists. Having to be in this much pain for 15 mths is terrible. I had an xray done, but that's about it. We'll see how the appt goes tomorrow. Thanks

Old 04-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
(female)

vpeters26 HB User

[QUOTE=SweetPeainSF;4962194]Hi -- welcome! I have lots of questions:

Is your pain solely in your back? Do you have any pain in your legs or buttocks? Do you have any numbness? Even the pinky toes?

Have you had any images performed? Most doctors will start with an X-ray. If there are any vertabrae closer together than expected or any osteophytes, then they might also want to get an MRI. Has your doctor evaluated you for muscle spasms? If you are having widespread back pain, which seems to be spreading, you might be having muscle spasms, and an anti-spasmodic can be really helpful (but probably should only be taken if you are done breast-feeding).

What type of doctor did you go to first? Have you been evaluated by a sports medicine doctor or by a physiatrist?

Keep in mind that seven years ago, your body may have had an easier time dealing with post-pregnancy weight and carrying a little person around. Now that you are a smidge older (but still young!), your body might be more affected by these challenges. Did you have any pain or complications during childbirth? (You might not feel comfortable posting these, but don't forget to discuss them with your doctor.)

Did the physical therapist give you any core strengthening exercises? Has any healthcare provider watched you pick up the baby? Be careful to lift the baby straight up, using your legs, and avoid twisting while lifting.

Sorry you are having such bad pain![/QUOTE]

Hi! Thank you. Yes I had an xray done, but that's about it. I only have tingling on my back, but no numbness anywhere or any shooting pains. The only kind of pains I do get is when my back is at it's worse, I feel like something is stabbing on my chest. This sounds funny, but my heart hurts when I get that stabbing pain. I also pick up my daughter the way I should be so I don't hurt my back anymore. My physical therapist did teach me the core strengthening workouts and I've done them atleast 4 times a week and it's not helping. I have my appt tomorrow with the neuro so we'll see what she says. Thank you.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:15 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User
Re: Severe back pain... any advice??

I hope your appointment went well. I would be concerned that the chest pain is something more than just pain. One possibility is costocondritis, which is not a heart or vital organ problem, but does cause chest pain. If you can push on the area and it's tender to the touch, then it might be costocondritis. But, it's always best to get any chest pain thoroughly assessed.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:46 PM   #7
(female)

aqua12 HB Useraqua12 HB User
Re: Severe back pain... any advice??

Hi I sorry to hear about your problems. Wanted to Post as I can so relate to your situation, just wanted to let you know you are not alone. Like you after the birth of my second child (also had epidural) started suffering lower back pain, which at times was extremely debilitating, often just seeing to my young childrens even basic needs was at times so difficult, leaving me in tears.

I just wanted to say Please make sure you are fully investigated, unfortunately I found my pain almost dismissed as part of the course following pregnacy. I therefore ignored my pain and continued in hind sight to push myself too far for the benefit of my family. I was only diagnosed many years later following change of Dr, who like me (now a little older and more determined for explanation ), accepted my cry for answers to my pain. To cut a very long story short, eventual MRI showed numerous problems, not least 3 herniated discs, 2 pressing on nerves. The delay in diagnosis has now caused further significant joint problems.

So please listen to your body, and ensure any extra post pregnancy weight, or the demands of having a young child are not used as what I term a lazy diagnosis.

Good luck, I hope you get the relief from pain you need soon.

Closed Thread