It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2012, 02:00 AM   #1
(male)

PMADrew09 HB User
Lower back pain, cerebral palsy, young and no insurance HELP!

Hello everyone,

My name is Drew and I'm 25 years old with a lovely wife and 7 year old son. I was diagnosed with cerebral palsy of the right side of my body (very mild). I never had to use assistive devices other than a brace for a little over a decade. Well things have changed for me quite recently.

I lost my health insurance after I graduated college back in 09. I was working for a while in a hospital in Dallas before stuff hit the fan. I started noticing that I was in an imense amount of pain after doing just daily chores and doing my job made my pain no laughing matter. I ended up finding out that I had arthritis of my entire spinal cord, siatica, two herniated disc in my lower lumbar, a pars defect I believe it just turned into a grade 2, scoliosis, spinal stenosis, bone spurs, and I have nerve damage now (in my good leg).

The pain that I am in is ridiculous right now. I have shooting aching pain down my left leg. Some days the swelling in my back is so severe that I can barely stand up right. My ability to walk without assistance has been compromised to say the least. I've been hospitalized twice for surgery on my back and then it mysteriously gets cancelled. I'm at my wits end

I'm really tired. When I was living in Dallas I had county health care plan but it took almost a year to get into see a GP just so I could see a spine surgeon and then another 6 months before pain management was even an option. Well long story short in order to not be homeless I ended up moving out to the Houston area with my wife and son. I'm on the waiting list for the Gold card plan interview. I have a pending claim with SSI because I can barely stand for longer than 15 minutes and I am physcially exhausted ALL THE TIME. While waiting for this red tape song and dance to end I have ended up in a few ER's with drs and nurses really concerned about my condition.

No amount of the OTC medications work for me. My stomach is now in constant argh. I eat, i throw up my face is always pale. I'm trying my best to not go crazy here but being so young (and boy do I look younger than I am. I ususally get pegged for 17). These doctors and nurses treat me like crap. Then, they see the MRIs and such and feel sorry for me but I still get thrown around. The pain is spreading farther down my left leg and I trying not to show fear here. Until I hear back from these organizations I don't know what to do. I do the exercises the PT gave me upon discharge and I try to stay as active (without too much excess) as possible but my back just keeps swelling up.

I just want to be able to be a good husband and father. I just want my quality of life back...

The following user gives a hug of support to PMADrew09:
SFlorida (04-16-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2012, 05:28 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

peps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB Userpeps90436 HB User
Re: Lower back pain, cerebral palsy, young and no insurance HELP!

It's so very frustrating when doctors don't take a person seriously or treat them like crap. I don't have much in the way of advice to offer, but I do understand your frustration.

At least with the documented issues that you have combined with the symptoms, you should at least get your SSDI and your medicare. Those two things should help take some of the pressure off you, not all of it, but some of it.

Continue doing the few exercises that you can, be careful how much lifting you do, and rest when you need to. Keep a pain journal where you record your pain level, things that increase your pain, and things that help. Remember those things that help so you can do those again.

Closed Thread