It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2012, 08:56 AM   #1
(female)

gwenny99 HB User
Unhappy Nerve pain in my arm - waiting, waiting for my doctor.

Laying in bed, waiting for my doctor to call me. I hurt my neck 10 days ago lifting weights and it has gotten progressively more painful every day. The last 5 days the pain in my right arm has been excrutiating and my thumb and index finger are numb which makes me think I pinched a nerve in my neck. I can't do anything but keep shifting around positions, putting my arm above my head relieves it for about 30 seconds. Four years ago I had pinched my sciatic nerve in my back and this pain is so similar to that.

I have been calling my doctor since Monday 7am to get this diagnosed and something for the pain. She called in a rx for Arthotec 75mg twice a day but that's it. I've been taking it since Monday night. She suggested tylenol for the pain. Unfortunately, the pain is unbearable, relentless and tylenol just doesn't touch it. I've used hot/cold packs, tylenol, tylenol with codeine (1 time), advil, robaxicet, deep cold gel, light stretching.

I called a health helpline (this morning) and they said to see my doctor within 3 / 4 hours. Still no answer from my doctor and her message says she's out of the office until Monday. I've gone ahead and went to a phsyiotherapist (Wedn and Thurs) without my dr's referral to try to get some relief. They've done ultrasound, and acupuncture and some electric zappers (can't remember the name of it) but so far it hasn't made a dent in the pain.

Just frustrated here in Ontario, Canada and needed to vent.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Nerve pain in my arm - waiting, waiting for my doctor.

Hopefully there is some tissue swelling that is compressing the nerve rather than a disc that is now bulging or herniated. You might try a heaving icing schedule -- like 15-20 minutes every hour as many hours as you can stand it! (being careful to protect the skin, of course) -- even though you have pain in your hand or arm, you want to ice at the site of the cervical disk...your lower neck. I would also suggesting drinking lots of fluids, especially water or clear liquids, and try to immobilize your neck for a day or two to see if that rest provides any relief

I suppose if your pain gets too bad, you'll have to go to the Emergency Room for medication....I'm sorry your doctor was not more responsive to your needs.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
gwenny99 (04-21-2012)
Old 04-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User

Though it might not be helping much for the pain, Arthrotec is a powerful anti-inflammatory. If you do have inflammation causing the nerve to be constricted, it may help (slowly).

One thing that I found helpful when I herniated a disc in my neck was to sit at a table, put my elbows on the table, and rest my chin on my palms. It got some of the weight of my head off my neck.

If you are uncomfortable while lying down, you might try rolling up a handtowel and placing it at the base of your pillow to support your neck. A physical therapist recommended this before I purchased a foam cervical pillow. I was at the point where I ready to buy anything at any cost to make the pain stop.

I hope you get treatment soon!

The Following User Says Thank You to SweetPeainSF For This Useful Post:
gwenny99 (04-21-2012)
Old 04-21-2012, 04:25 PM   #4
(female)

gwenny99 HB User

Thank you for those ideas. I have been icing my neck alot more and I slept with a pillow actually under my waist and that seemed to relieve some of the pain. I did try to put my elbows on the table and rest my head in my hands but that actually hurt more. Holding my right hand over my head seems to give some relief for a bit.

I actually got to see a DR last night and he agrees it's a neck injury with inflammation cutting into a nerve that's causing the pain in my arm. He told me to stop taking Arthrotec and instead take Ketorolac 10mg 2x a day for inflammation and pain. Also Cyclobenzaprine for a muscle relaxant. If I don't notice any inprovement by Monday/Tuesday he thinks it may be a disk problem - but we're hoping it's not that. No tests/MRI's were scheduled. It's really hard to get an MRI here in Canada.

I slept better last night and maybe the pain is a little better, but I'm not too sure yet. I'll be seeing my regular doctor on Wedn or Thursday for a followup so I'll give an update then.

Thanks again. Gwen

Closed Thread