It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
(male)

icenet HB User
CBS Story-Is this the end for fusion and ADR?

Hi All,
I posted about a year ago how I was offered a chance to participate in the Biostat study. Maybe it was too new but it didn't register any responses. I decided not to participate in the study because my DDD is manageable.

Now everyone can see by this CBS story that we are cusp of major breakthrough. Biostat is the implied treatment in this video:

Google CBS Sunday Morning "A New Hope For Back Pain" to watch the video.
I can't post the link on this forum. I would be nice to hear from someone in the study. All in all, this is a new day for all of us who suffer with back pain.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
(female)

lilac100 HB Userlilac100 HB User
Re: CBS Story-Is this the end for fusion and ADR?

Wow very interesting. I hope it actually works. If it helps at all it's worth a try.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
(male)

icenet HB User

If I was needing fusion or ADR, I would be on plane tomorrow to see Dr. Pauza. The only thing that keep me out of the study was the 25% chance of getting the placebo. I also wasn't too keen on getting a discogram.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

While this is an exciting development, keep in mind that fusions are performed for reasons other than disc problems.

Once again, success in back surgery often boils down to the appropriateness of the chosen procedure to the problem that is causing pain.

Last edited by teteri66; 05-20-2012 at 07:57 AM.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
(male)

icenet HB User

I think you may find just a "few" fusion patients on this board who would have liked to have another option. Remember, if the treatment fails, you could always opt for the fusion later on.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:40 PM   #6
(female)

lilac100 HB Userlilac100 HB User

It wouldn't have prevented my first fusion, but if in the future my level below goes I would like to have another option.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:01 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

[B]I think you may find just a "few" fusion patients on this board who would have liked to have another option. Remember, if the treatment fails, you could always opt for the fusion later on.[/B]

We all would have liked to have had less invasive options. I was just mentioning that a certain percentage of people need fusions for reasons that have little to do with disc degeneration.

I feel it is important for people, especially those facing their first spine surgery, to realize that every procedure has its own set of criteria that a patient must meet. It isn't just a random choice of the surgeon or his lack of knowledge about a particular procedure that dictates which procedure a patient has. Someone may want a specific procedure that he/she has read or heard about, but there may be valid reasons why that person will not qualify to have that procedure. Something as simple as a person's anatomical structure may preclude him from a particilar procedure.

Closed Thread