It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2012, 07:01 AM   #1
(female)

kencankc HB User
Question Hip and groin pain after discectomy

Could anyone tell me if they have experienced hip and groin pain after discectomy. I had a partial discectomy L4/L5 and am 7 weeks post-op. I had suffered for about 1 1/2 years before surgery and the relief was immediate after the surgery, but I am now experiencing pain in the hip and groin area. It is worse on the left side where the herniation was, but is also on the right side. Some people have told me that is the body just trying to adjust to me standing upright which I hadn't been able to do for the year and a half prior to having the surgery done. I am not sure if increasing my walking will help or hinder the situation. The pain is so much less that prior to surgery that I try not to complain, but was just wondering if there are others out there that have had the same experience.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
(female)

SisterE HB UserSisterE HB User
Re: Hip and groin pain after discectomy

I had a microdiscectomy L5-S1 almost four weeks ago. I don't know about the groin pain, but I have noticed more hip pain this week as well as my knee and ankle. I was limping for about a year before the surgery, and totally attribute it to my body learning to walk again. I'm sure my tendons and muscles need to be retrained.

What your having, Is it more a muscle pain? Or is a joint-type pain?
Are you doing physical therapy? This sounds like the perfect question to be asking your physical therapist.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2012, 11:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I don't know how much you are walking, but it could be contributing to your pain. Walking is the most important thing you can do post surgery. It helps to stretch out the spinal nerves which helps to keep scar tissue from attaching to them as it develops and fills in post surgery.

I would suggest you take short, frequent walks throughout the day and evening, rather than one or two longer walks. At this point the distance or speed you walk is not important. It is more important to keep those nerves moving every so often.

Hip pain is very common after lumbar surgery. I think part of it is the realignment of the spine, and the postural changes, too. We all compensate to some extent when dealing with a lumbar problem.

People often develop some tenderness in the piriformis muscle. This is a long muscle that runs across the buttock and has its attachment over by the hip. After my first fusion I thought I was having problems with a hip as it was so painful...but it was the piriformis pulling at the attachment site. The sciatic nerve runs directly underneath the piriformis, so if there is any tautness in the muscle, or inflammation, it can irritate the sciatic nerve.

Also the surgeon may have had to tug a bit on a nerve if there was some compression...or it may have been bumped or...it is just irritated from all the disturbance going on around it. Nerves are very finicky.

Just keep following your doctor's instructions and walking. You'll get better as you recover.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #4
(female)

hjz HB User
Exclamation Re: Hip and groin pain after discectomy

Can you please let me know what happend with your hip pain, I just had a discectomy 7 weeks ago and I am having worsening left hip pain, which my herniations were on the left. Mine also was so bad I could not stand it anymore and I hate to complain given that the pain is better, but this is my 3rd back surgery and I know this is not normal or consistent with my previous 2 surgeries. I would love to hear how yours turned out now that time has passed. Did it get better? What treatment did you have to do? How long did it take to get better if so? What are some do's or dont's? Anything you can tell would be so much appreciated. Thank you

Old 02-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #5
(female)

mrsodie75 HB User

I had my discectomy 8 wks ago. I had severe anterior hip pain initially and continued pain down my leg. I am a physical therapist assistant and was fortunate enough to persue treatment. The thing that worked for me was something called myofascial release. This releases tension in the structure that covers your muscles fibers. These have dysfunctions from prior to surgery and don't just adapt to surgery fixing the spine. The other treatment was something called craniosacral which stretches the covering of the spinal cord to release nerve tension. This made the world of difference. I notice now that as I exercise more aggresively, I am having the hip pain again but I have found stretching and taping techniques help with this.
I hope this helps.

Closed Thread