It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
(female)

katydoll85 HB User
Lump on Back

Hi All,

I'm new to this, but hoping for some help. I have a lump on my back. It is on the right side, about an inch away from my spine. Its about 2-3 inches below my bra line. The lump is hard and doesnt really move, only the skin above it moves. Its about 1 1/2 inches. It didn't originally start that big, but got that size over the last few months. I've done some research online, and the closes thing I found was lipoma, but its hard where lipoma is supposed to be rubbery, and it isn't really moveable. It's not painful at all, I can press down on it and hardly feel anything.

Any ideas on what it might be? I have an appointment later this week to get checked, but I'm nervous and was hoping for some early insight.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by katydoll85; 06-11-2012 at 04:27 PM.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
(male)

pubbies HB Userpubbies HB Userpubbies HB Userpubbies HB User
Re: Lump on Back

Could just be a lymph node

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
(female)

SisterE HB UserSisterE HB User

[QUOTE=pubbies;4997175]Could just be a lymph node[/QUOTE]

A lymph node in the center of the back that has gotten larger over time and isn't painful?

Lipoma is a good guess. If it feels smooth (like a rubber ball) under the skin and the skin and tissue around it move easily, that's a good case for lipoma. (I have one in my upper arm.) Or it could be a cyst of some kind.

Are you an athlete or highly active at all? It could also be scar tissue from an injury you might not even remember sustaining. An elbow to the back playing rugby, for example, can cause scar tissue in the muscle to build up over time and that eventually goes away again. I had a lovely lump in my left thigh for years after getting kicked by a donkey.

It's good that your going to the doctor. They might do a needle biopsy, where they stick a needle in to see if they can withdraw fluid for testing, or if they think it's suspicious they might send you for an ultrasound to confirm whether it's a lipoma, cyst, or something possibly more dangerous. Always better to be sure than spend your time worrying about it.

The Following User Says Thank You to SisterE For This Useful Post:
SweetPeainSF (06-11-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

hi I had a small lump on my back near my spine several yrs ago and it turned out to be a synervial (spelled that wrong I know) cyst and I had it taken out because it got sore eventually when I laid on my back. He just took the whole gland out with it but now I have a small dent in my back .

The Following User Says Thank You to noevr For This Useful Post:
SweetPeainSF (06-11-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 10:19 PM   #5
(female)

teresa46d HB User

I also have one on my lower back where my pant line hits. I had it removed once. It is a cyst of some kind. They removed it right there in the Doctor's office. They numbed it and had to cut it out. But if they don't get it all it can grow back.

Closed Thread