It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
(female)

blueoceans HB User
chronic sciatica/microdisectomy, hemi-laminectomy

My problems all started back in November of 2011. Started a new stretching program as well as yoga and i felt really good. Bam week and a half later i started waking up in the mornings with terrible hip pain that gradually got so bad i was walking crooked. Went to the orthopedics office and he did the standard x-rays,as well as an mri. Mri showed a few bulging discs and a herniated disc l5-s1 but no nerve contact. Did the pt thing (excruciating and useless) as well as chiropractors (felt worse). Moved on to the epidurals series of two. Minimally helped. Long story short my boss recommended a highly recommended neurosurgeon that she thought could help me with my sciatica and crooked back. Doc recommended a mylogram which did show a mass effect abutting the l5-s1 nerve. He recommended hemi laminectomy as well as microdisectomy. Had this surgery on May 17. Woke up and my hip and back felt better but the sciatica is still there. I went for my three week check up and he put me on a anti-inflammatory. I really can' t tell if it's working or not. I am physically as well as mentally tired of feeling this sciata. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.

The following user gives a hug of support to blueoceans:
Phoenix (06-17-2012)
Old 06-17-2012, 10:04 PM   #2
(female)

Twiceblessedmom HB User
Re: chronic sciatica/microdisectomy, hemi-laminectomy

[QUOTE=blueoceans;5000922]My problems all started back in November of 2011. Started a new stretching program as well as yoga and i felt really good. Bam week and a half later i started waking up in the mornings with terrible hip pain that gradually got so bad i was walking crooked. Went to the orthopedics office and he did the standard x-rays,as well as an mri. Mri showed a few bulging discs and a herniated disc l5-s1 but no nerve contact. Did the pt thing (excruciating and useless) as well as chiropractors (felt worse). Moved on to the epidurals series of two. Minimally helped. Long story short my boss recommended a highly recommended neurosurgeon that she thought could help me with my sciatica and crooked back. Doc recommended a mylogram which did show a mass effect abutting the l5-s1 nerve. He recommended hemi laminectomy as well as microdisectomy. Had this surgery on May 17. Woke up and my hip and back felt better but the sciatica is still there. I went for my three week check up and he put me on a anti-inflammatory. I really can' t tell if it's working or not. I am physically as well as mentally tired of feeling this sciata. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

I am sorry you are still experiencing your sciatic pain. I know many wake up and have total relief...two laminectomies/discectomies later I can tell you that has not been my experience or many others...and this should not panic you, its just as normal as total relief right away, depending on each persons own set of issues. Such as how compressed and therefore bruised your nerves were/are...unfortunately it can take quite some time for them to heal, as they do so at a slow rate. Its a fine balance of not over doing it post op, but still getting the walking in...so as not to cause more inflammation...which can also trigger more nerve pain. There are medications which can provide you some relief from your nerve pain...I happen to take Elavil and it has been a God sent, greatly helps to take the edge off. Ask your surgeon or physicians regarding them.

I hope you get some relief and try to keep your spirits up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2012, 05:27 AM   #3
(female)

blueoceans HB User

Thanks so much twicedblessedmom- you are so correct in trying to find the correct balance with regards to walking. I have actually started walking in the pool with hopes of this even being gentler. I am following dr.s orders to the t so that i don't reinjure myself. I am currently on tramadol,robaxin (take ever once in a while when i feel my back start locking up) and just recently started volteran. Tramadol helps so,so this is what the beginning ortho dr. put me on back in nov. I'm just sick of taking medicine. Before this injury the most i would take is advil. The weird thing is yesterday i had this grand idea i would just take my anti-inflammatory and robaxin and see if i could manage with this until our company left that afternoon. I definitely had sciatica,but thought i would see if i could tolerate this. We got out of the pool around 3:00 and actually i hadn't given it much thought; came in changed, company left and it dawned on me hey, i don't hurt or feel any sciatica. Took another robaxin last night and i still do not have any sciatica. Why would this be? Now i'm wondering if a muscle is causing this. Any thoughts? Thanks again.

Last edited by blueoceans; 06-18-2012 at 05:33 AM.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:21 AM   #4
(female)

blueoceans HB User

Thanks, Inmiami,
The interesting thing is when this all started in november i had a chiro tell me it was my piriformis (sp?) muscle. Man oh man after one treatment with him i was 100% worse in pain. The other doc's said nope no way was it pirifomis. One doc said he would prove it by pushing on that muscle, because the sciatic nerve runs through it. He said if it were that i would have had so much pain that i would have came unglued with him. Needless to say this has not been a fun journey. I'm ready to feel better and never have to revisit this again. Take care.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:31 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Have you tried a drug for "nerve" pain such as gabapentin (Neurontin) or Lyrica? This is often prescribed for sciatic type pain.

It may be that the nerve was injured while it was compressed and now that there is more room for the nerve, it still needs time to recover. Nerves heal very slowly so it can take a long time for healing to take place.

Also it sounds like you were compensating for the damaged area which resulted in your crooked posture. It takes awhile post surgery for all the muscles and soft tissue to relearn the appropriate positions and for the muscles to become balanced again.

Try to be patient. Keep walking even when you do not feel up to it.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:56 AM   #6
(female)

blueoceans HB User

Thanks for responding everyone, I very much appreciate any advice I can get. I will try to keep the patience and persevere on. This has truly been an experience that definitely tests the patience. I have a whole new understanding of people that live with chronic pain.

Teteri66- when i go back in three weeks i will ask him about these meds you listed. Take care.

Last edited by blueoceans; 06-18-2012 at 11:59 AM.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
(female)

Twiceblessedmom HB User

[QUOTE=blueoceans;5001234]Thanks so much twicedblessedmom- you are so correct in trying to find the correct balance with regards to walking. I have actually started walking in the pool with hopes of this even being gentler. I am following dr.s orders to the t so that i don't reinjure myself. I am currently on tramadol,robaxin (take ever once in a while when i feel my back start locking up) and just recently started volteran. Tramadol helps so,so this is what the beginning ortho dr. put me on back in nov. I'm just sick of taking medicine. Before this injury the most i would take is advil. The weird thing is yesterday i had this grand idea i would just take my anti-inflammatory and robaxin and see if i could manage with this until our company left that afternoon. I definitely had sciatica,but thought i would see if i could tolerate this. We got out of the pool around 3:00 and actually i hadn't given it much thought; came in changed, company left and it dawned on me hey, i don't hurt or feel any sciatica. Took another robaxin last night and i still do not have any sciatica. Why would this be? Now i'm wondering if a muscle is causing this. Any thoughts? Thanks again.[/QUOTE]

I am almost three weeks post my last surgery, I cut out my prescribed pain meds as soon as possible. Tramadol I was prescribed presurgery and oxy post. Both of these are opiates and can become addictive and I just felt best weaning as far back as possible. At night to sleep I may still take one oxy but I hope to be officially off soon. Now, sure, a lot of pain can be from the muscles...my surgeon said "of all the meds I prescribe you, it is imperative you take your muscle relaxers during this time." As muscle was cut during my surgery. Nerves however also control your muscles and depending on how inflammed you are the inflammation can compress those nerves as well. I was unable to urinate and was in excruciating pain while in patient until they gave me decadron a steroid injection which was a complete turn around for me...then when I was discharged she gave me a merrily dose pack to continue for a week. Because of the inflammation I was actually worse off directly after surgery then before, as I only had some early urinary retention (cauda equina syndrome) but after I had full retention until the steroids...the inflammation acted no differently then the huge disk material pieces which were cutting my nerves off to begin with. So, my point being, yes, the combination of the muscle relaxant and definitely anti inflammatories may help.

However, if you are still having nerve pain please ask for either elavil or one of the other nerve medications another poster mentioned. They can make a huge difference and they are not narcotics, you are able to function, etc. Good luck! Oh, and pool therapy is the best.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #8
(female)

blueoceans HB User

[QUOTE=Twiceblessedmom;5001519]I am almost three weeks post my last surgery, I cut out my prescribed pain meds as soon as possible. Tramadol I was prescribed presurgery and oxy post. Both of these are opiates and can become addictive and I just felt best weaning as far back as possible. At night to sleep I may still take one oxy but I hope to be officially off soon. Now, sure, a lot of pain can be from the muscles...my surgeon said "of all the meds I prescribe you, it is imperative you take your muscle relaxers during this time." As muscle was cut during my surgery. Nerves however also control your muscles and depending on how inflammed you are the inflammation can compress those nerves as well. I was unable to urinate and was in excruciating pain while in patient until they gave me decadron a steroid injection which was a complete turn around for me...then when I was discharged she gave me a merrily dose pack to continue for a week. Because of the inflammation I was actually worse off directly after surgery then before, as I only had some early urinary retention (cauda equina syndrome) but after I had full retention until the steroids...the inflammation acted no differently then the huge disk material pieces which were cutting my nerves off to begin with. So, my point being, yes, the combination of the muscle relaxant and definitely anti inflammatories may help.

However, if you are still having nerve pain please ask for either elavil or one of the other nerve medications another poster mentioned. They can make a huge difference and they are not narcotics, you are able to function, etc. Good luck! Oh, and pool therapy is the best.[/QUOTE]

Thanks again, this information is very much appreciated. One thing i am starting to figure out is i feel great with no pain right after pool therapy. Why? I don't know but i'll take it.

Closed Thread