It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2012, 12:17 PM   #1
(female)

hmoser HB User
C1-C7 Neck Fusion Surgery

I am going to have a C1-C7 neck fusion surgery at the end of the month, has anyone had this done? The are hoping that they can go through the front of my neck, however we are waiting on the x-ray to see if my jaw bone is in the way. I could really use some info and what I am looking at for this surgery. Please let me know.

Thanks!!

Old 07-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
(female)

hmoser HB User
Re: C1-C7 Neck Fusion Surgery

I have had 2 neurosurgons look at my MRI and CT scan and it is true. What is happening is that my neck is closing in on my spinal cord all the way down. They figure I was born with neck issues. C2-C3 are already naturally fused together as well as C6-C7. I can post my CT and Mri reports, however they are about a page in length each. I started having problems with my balance and arms going numb, as well as holding small objects, this is why I went in. The brusing of the spine is at C1 and C2, the only fluid left around the spinal cord in my neck is at the very top. I saw Dr. Jackson in Dallas and I am going is Dr. Ellis in Fort Worth both seem to agree on the issues. Do you know of anyone that has had something like this done?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
(female)

hmoser HB User

Here are my MRI Findings
MRI Findings:
At C2-C3, osseous fusion is identified at this level without canal stenosis or neural foraminal narrowing. At C3-C4, posterior osteophyte/disk complex measuring 3.5mm and asymmetric right facet arthrosis cause severe bilateral neural foraminal narrowing with severe canal stenosis. The thecal sac measures 7.5 mm in AP dimension. At C4-C5, posterior osteophytes and disk complex measuring 3mm causes moderate right/severe left neural foraminal narrowing with severe canal stenosis. The thecal sac measures 7.7mm in the AP dimension. At C5-C6, posterior osteophyte/disk complex measuring 2mm causes moderate to severe bilateral neural foraminal narrowing with moderate to severe canal stenosis. The thecal sac measure 8.8mm in AP dimension. At C6-C7, no HNP, canal stenosis or neural foraminal narrowing is indentified. At C7-T1, no HNP, canal stenosis or neural foraminal narrowing is identified. At T1-T2, osseous fusion is identified at this level without canal stenosis or neural foraminal narrowing. At T2-T3, no HNP, canal stenosis or neural foraminal narrowing is identified. No evidence of compression fracture or subluxation is identified. Faint T2 hyperintense signal within the cervical cord at the level of C3-C4 suggestive of cord myelomalacia due to sever canal stenosis. The craniocervical junction is unremarkable. The marrow signal is normal. A small Schmorl’s node is identified along the superior endplate of the C6 vertebral body. Heavily T2 weighted STIR images reveal no adnormal edema signal. Incidental note is made of prominent lingual tonsils. Mild adenoidal hypertrophy is noted.

Impression: Congenital changes of osseous fusion identified at the levels of C2-C3 and T1-T2. Sever canal stenosis is identified at C3-C4 and C4-C5. T2 hyperintense focus within the cervical cord at the level of C3-C4 suggests cord myelomalacia. Moderate to severe canal stenosis at C5-C6. Severe neural foraminal narrowing on the left at C4-C5 and bilaterally at C3-C4. Moderate to severe bilateral neural foraminal narrowing at C5-C6. Moderate right neural foraminal narrowing at C4-C5.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

the mere fact that you already have myelomalacia going on means you have some very direct pressure in that paticular area in your actual cord itself where no flow of at the very least CSF is able to get to, and the possibility of some blood supply as well. anytime there just is a high signal intensity found inside our spinal cords, it IS something that needs attention. there are also other more congenital things that can also cause high signal within the cord such as vascular malformations. but myelo is the most commonly seen, esp in an MRI description like yours. a person can develop myelo from many different things, but yours does appear to be from direct pressure ON that area of cord from what is described as 'severe" canal stenosis'. this is the canal that your spinal cord actually runs thru. its no wonder you are getting the symptoms that you are since this is also happening(canal stenosis) in other areas too among other things..

if you just go down to the 'spianl forum" way down in the 'S" section, there are some really really knowledgable people there, and i know of one in particular who has also had a very long c spine fusion as well. they can help you down there better than here where mostly back issues are discussed. the spinal deals more with the c spine. i DO wish you all the luck in the world with this and hope everything goes well for you too. marcia

Old 10-04-2012, 07:41 AM   #5
(female)

ajones404 HB User

I had this surgery 3 years ago but they had to do two surgeries on me. The doctor said I wasn't strong enough to stay under anesthesia for two surgeries at once. So they did the front of my neck on September 23 and the back September 25. I have been in pain ever since that day and that was 3 years ago. My balance is off now and I can't stand or sit for long periods of time. Good luck with yours.

Closed Thread