It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
(female)

RebeccaT HB User
Question Bent after ALIF back fusion

Hi.

Can anyone advise on what I should do if I bent twice 10 days post-op?

I was hurting from it but I'm improving.

How much of a chance is there that I messed up my fusion?

Should I tell my doctor now or wait and see how things go if I continue moving correctly?

Thanks for any wisdom.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
(female)

RTgirl2011 HB UserRTgirl2011 HB UserRTgirl2011 HB UserRTgirl2011 HB UserRTgirl2011 HB User
Re: Bent after ALIF back fusion

I had a PLIF in February. I had to bend over one day cause I dropped my car keys. I was sore at first but I improved steadily over a few days. I freaked out and called the doctor, he said wasn't a big deal, just don't make a habit of it. My advice to you would be call your doctor if you don't continue improve or just call them anyway, that is what they are there for. They will probably send you for x rays if they feel its needed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Bent after ALIF back fusion

Welcome to The board. You are a lady who took your surgeon's words to heart! Don't despair! It is highly unlikely that you did anything to your hardware. Try to avoid it in the future, but unless you really got yourself into a deep backbend (were you practicing gymnastics??) you should be fine.

It will be perfectly normal to have some new aches, pains, twinges, etc. as you go forward with your recovery. The body will need to learn to accommodate having a block of your spine that no longer bends...with a lower lumbar fusion, this usually involves the sacroiliac joints at the base of the sacrum...which now becomes the first movable segment of your spine.

If it is still sore, put an ice pack on your lower back, but not directly on top of the incision. Do these for 15-20 minutes at a time, being careful not to burn the skin, and do it several times during the day (not just the one time).

Unless you suddenly develop a horrendous pain, you do not need to tell your doctor. They actually expect that patients will bend a bit from time to time...Oh, I am assuming you had hardware with your surgery, right? If so, it is designed to hold the spine in place in a low-impact crash, so it will survive a couple bends, or falls...but avoid that if possible.

Feel free to post with all questions and comments. Many of us had fusions...some more than once, and are happy to try to provide information. Remember to walk. Short distances frequently, even just several laps around your home, is better than one long walk. You want to stretch out the spine nerves and walking does this the best of any stretch or exercise. This helps to prevent scar tissue from attaching to the spinal nerves as it grows and fills in during the early weeks post surgery.

Closed Thread

Tags
alif, bending, bent, fusion