It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2012, 08:02 AM   #1
(male)

kyallenb HB User
Question L5 S1 fuison at age 27

Hi Im 27 year old male and I have a bulge at L5 S1 and spinal stenosis. I have been in pain for well over a year at a constant level of 4-8 and it does get to a 10 and put me out for days at a time. I have done every non surgical treatment out there PT, Chiro, Gym (even a personal trainer), Epidurals etc... and I hate the pain meds!!! I have had a couple opinions and they all say either fusion or disk replacement! I am leaning towards fusion due to the fact that the replacement surgery is still sort of new and I am worried that with my luck Id break the artificial disk!!! Any suggestions I don't want to be disabled and out of commission the rest of my life I am too young but I do want this pain to go away!! HELP!!!

Old 08-03-2012, 12:38 AM   #2
(female)

aleet7 HB Useraleet7 HB Useraleet7 HB Useraleet7 HB User
Re: L5 S1 fuison at age 27

I had DDD, spinal stenosis and 3 discs, L4,L5,ans S1 herniated! I had pt for 2 years and spinal Epidurals that only helped 2,weeks at a time! I had back pain that ran down both legs that progressively got worse! I had no choice but to have a discectomy, laminotomy and fusion 3 weeks ago! The surgery took 3 hours and I felt immediate leg relief when I woke up from surgery! I still have wound pain from the surgery but I can walk without horrible pain shooting down my legs! I wish you luck in deciding what to do!

The Following User Says Thank You to aleet7 For This Useful Post:
kyallenb (08-03-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2012, 06:07 AM   #3
(female)

Alwaysinlovereh HB User

[QUOTE=kyallenb;5032536]Hi Im 27 year old male and I have a bulge at L5 S1 and spinal stenosis. I have been in pain for well over a year at a constant level of 4-8 and it does get to a 10 and put me out for days at a time. I have done every non surgical treatment out there PT, Chiro, Gym (even a personal trainer), Epidurals etc... and I hate the pain meds!!! I have had a couple opinions and they all say either fusion or disk replacement! I am leaning towards fusion due to the fact that the replacement surgery is still sort of new and I am worried that with my luck Id break the artificial disk!!! Any suggestions I don't want to be disabled and out of commission the rest of my life I am too young but I do want this pain to go away!! HELP!!![/QUOTE]

I also had fusion in lower back at your age, now i am 40.... and the pain is back, so surgeries do help but sometimes are not permanent. I so get the pain factor, the couch & I were best friends for yrs, my boys would have to help me do everything. Good luck and i hope you find results. If you do have surgery just follow the pre-op instructions, and take it easy.

The Following User Says Thank You to Alwaysinlovereh For This Useful Post:
kyallenb (08-03-2012)
Old 08-03-2012, 07:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

The results seem to be mixed with the artificial disc. People who had a successful outcome are great believers and the others say "avoid at any cost." They are much more common in Germany, but it is hard to get any data indicating whether they are more successful! The real knock against them is that if the disc fails, they are tough to remove and the surgery can be considered life threatening to get it out.

If you do go the fusion route, take your time in the selection of your surgeon. Do a lot of research and meet with both neurosurgeons and orthopedic spine surgeons. The selection of the surgeon is the most important decision you will make, once you decide to have the surgery.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
kyallenb (08-03-2012)
Old 08-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

workinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB User

I have had back pain for 17 yrs. Hurt it again this May. Pain was unbearable. Couldn't work or do anything at home. I saw several dr's. I went with a neurosurgeon. I am 42. He said to be patient. I'm off work for 6 months and cannot return to my lifting job. All Info is lay or recline. I have therapists that come over 5 days a week. I can only walk with a walker from now until Sept. At least. My presurgery pain is gone. Now its post surgery and healing but the Dr said I will have a much better quality. Of life. This way and I was st my pain limit and tired of not knowing. What step would make me want. To die and living on drugs. Get several opinions. Good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to workinmom572 For This Useful Post:
kyallenb (08-04-2012)
Old 08-03-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
(male)

anderson620 HB User

I understand your concern and your pain, as many on here do. I am 32 years old and 12 days out of an anterior/posterior spinal fusion at L5/S1.
You are very young for surgery, just as I thought I was too young. I put my surgery off for 3 years after the first neurosurgeon told me it was my only option. There just comes a time when you make the decision to not live in pain anymore.
I found this site about a week before my surgery and have been kind of lurking since. This site is a wealth of good information as well as helpful people. You've come to the right place.
And for what its worth, I think that I am doing pretty well for not quite 2 weeks post-op. It is possible to recover from this, as scary as spine surgery may seem. The time in the hospital was tough (I was there for 5 days) but I pushed myself to walk early on and keep walking and I think that has played a big part in my recovery.

There certainly is life after pain. I'm living proof. Listen to your Dr and push yourself a little every day, but keep an eye on your limitations. Don't twist or lift heavy stuff! (You'll hear enough of that!)

Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to anderson620 For This Useful Post:
kyallenb (08-04-2012)
Closed Thread