It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
(female)

Donna022 HB UserDonna022 HB UserDonna022 HB UserDonna022 HB UserDonna022 HB User
Injections and Ablation

I have been being treated for back pain for over ten years now, starting with several years of a chiropractor.

This board and the people are so so helpful...but you know...I'm tired of dealing with this all the time.

Ask 2 different doctors, get 2 different answers.
Dr says time for surgery, I ask I thought we were going to try ablation. Yes, we can do that...do it then schedule the surgery. HUH?

For all of you who are getting temporary relief from the steroid shots but they are not lasting. If you have inflamation, those shots may "cure" you. If it is not inflamation most likely the relief you get will be temporary, HOWEVER, if you get 2-3 weeks of pain relief with the injections, the nerve ablation has a good chance of being successful...and for longer.

At least this is what I have found..for me...

Old 08-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
(female)

alida1234 HB User
Re: Injections and Ablation

I know what u mean about different doctor responses.....I have a question for you...I had a disectomy in Dec 2011 and am suffereing from nerve damage. I am currently on 2400 Mg of neurontin....if they were to do an ablation would I have to wean off of the mess or take them with the ablation? Is it painful and costly? Any suggestions out there for help??¿? Thanks all!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
(female)

Donna022 HB UserDonna022 HB UserDonna022 HB UserDonna022 HB UserDonna022 HB User

Gosh, I hope the pro's jump in here...I don't have a clue.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
(female)

The nerve ablation is painful....but just a little more so than the injections. Hey, if it works, it is waaayyy worth it to me!

Unfortunately, I am closing my eyes to the cost. I am supposed to have insurance...I may end up bankrupt and living under a bridge, but I feel I have to take care of myself as best as I can.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #5
(female)

sbbo97 HB User

regarding the neurontin.... if it ends up that you don't need them anymore, please definitely "wean", quitting cold turkey is not a good idea (you may want to google it). Just wanted to throw that out there. good luck.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Donna, way I look at it, if you are not in excruciating pain (level 7+) or are receiving permanent nerve damage and/or getting something like drop foot or cauda equine syndrome (not sure if I'm spelling this stuff right) then keep up w/ the injections. You never know when they are going to come up with something that is non-evasive to repair the problem. I had a dr. that wanted to operate on me back in 2007 and I decided against it (2 level fusion). Then I found a clinical trial for "disc biacuplasty" a non-evasive procedure repairing my two annular tears. I had to wear a hard brace for 6 weeks but that's ok.... I'm still doing great.

I don't remember the percentage rate but there is a certain percentage failure rate for back surgery and it ain't good. I'm sure this info is posted on this board somewhere or someone else can address it (with a better memory to detail).

Another thing is meds. Be sure you are taking everything that's available to you and what I mean by that is meds for nerve pain down the legs. If one doesn't work for you then try another one, sometimes it can take 3-4 attempts to find the one that works for you.

Ablation is great and can last a long time I've had cervical and lumbar ablations lasting anywhere from 3-12 months at a time.

If you end up having to have back surgery you want to get 2-3 opinions and also get the referral from a friend who has used that dr and has had good results. I'm talking a neurosurgeon too. Just don't use a dr. because your other dr. referred you to them, check them out!!! Once you have failed back surgery syndrome then that's it. You are worse off than you were before you got started.

Don't get me wrong, there are successful stories but those are the guys who have done their research, listened to what their drs told them post-op too, very important. You can get scar tissue by not listening.

hope this helps, cj

Last edited by noevr; 08-08-2012 at 01:21 PM.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #7
(female)

I already have had a fusion of S1-L5-L4 two years ago. I already have failed back surgery syndrome.

My next door neighbor is a chiropractor (who I consult with but hasn't treated me). He told me during one of our conversations, that he had a patient come in and ask him for help that had had six or seven spinal surgeries. We just looked at each other and he said, "At what point did you realize this didn't work?" touche

There are people on these boards that have had multiple surgeries...and consider them successful and they are successful!

My opinion, and is just my opinion and what I feel inside, if I can do ANYTHING that prevents surgery, I will pursue it until I run out of other options. I did the surgery two years ago and was hurting again in a year and a half. That is a pretty big chance to take to obtain no more success than I received. And I am only partially fused..so, no, I can still take myself to the bathroom, bathe myself, and feed myself....I don't like the surgery option.

After my last surgery, I felt like why in the world did I put up with all that pain for so long...I should have done this a long time ago.

One day at a time, and I may eat my words....just where I am at this point.

Donna

Old 08-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #8
(female)

I already have had a fusion of S1-L5-L4 two years ago. I already have failed back surgery syndrome.

My next door neighbor is a chiropractor (who I consult with but hasn't treated me). He told me during one of our conversations, that he had a patient come in and ask him for help that had had six or seven spinal surgeries. We just looked at each other and he said, "At what point did you realize this didn't work?" touche

There are people on these boards that have had multiple surgeries...and consider them successful and they are successful!

My opinion, and is just my opinion and what I feel inside, if I can do ANYTHING that prevents surgery, I will pursue it until I run out of other options. I did the surgery two years ago and was hurting again in a year and a half. That is a pretty big chance to take to obtain no more success than I received. And I am only partially fused..so, no, I can still take myself to the bathroom, bathe myself, and feed myself....I don't like the surgery option.

After my last surgery, I felt like why in the world did I put up with all that pain for so long...I should have done this a long time ago.

One day at a time, and I may eat my words....just where I am at this point.

Donna

Old 08-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

sorry you already have the failed back surgery syndrome. that suxxors. My 96 yo mom has it and tons of scar tissue. I'm hoping one day they'll figure out how to grow new disc. I see in our NEAR future. One day at a time is the way to do it. Hope the pain angels stay near and keep your pain away. Back pain is so nerve racking it sends ya to the moon sometimes. Keeping my fingers crossed for ya, CJ.

The Following User Says Thank You to noevr For This Useful Post:
Donna022 (08-08-2012)
Closed Thread