It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2012, 07:07 AM   #1
(female)

seniorsgal HB User
fusion, post surgery

I have not posted since my last visit to the Dr. August 9th. He said all the x-rays looked real good. As for the pain. He said I needed to walk and get plenty of excercise. He still doesn't think I need to go to PT but that I could if wanted to, or wear a brace. He says I need to do this myself instead of having something else do it for me. Stand up straighten my back. And he said to watch out for stories of how long it took someone else to get well. He said it depends on a lot of things. Whats going on with one person, doesn' mean thats whats going on with me. He says he doesn't think I am, in my case giving it enough time. It has been 3 and a half months. I had fusion of L4-L5

Old 08-19-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: fusion, post surgery

That advice sounds pretty much like what we've been saying too. Everyone heals differently...and that you can only do what feels right to you! A lot of people really don't feel reasonably OK until a year has gone by. Then one day it "suddenly" occurs to the person that the back isn't bothering her/him any more.

The surgeon must be under the impression that the physical therapist moves the body for you, instead of showing you what to do and watching you do it to be sure you are moving correctly! In the process, the PT may do some passive stretching and use heat or massage or something that "is done to you" but you should get plenty of work to do on your own.

Glad your x-rays showed progress. Did you see the bone growth?
Thanks for the update! We like to know how people are progressing!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User
Re: fusion, post surgery

Three and a half months is a very short timeframe, in the world of back surgeries. I am eight and a half months post-op and my nerves are still healing. I have been able to return to some of my pre-surgery activities, but not others. I swam 1.5 miles on each of three consecutive days last week, with little increased pain. However, I am not allowed to do flipturns and still cannot walk for more than twenty minutes without pain. I hope that you start to be able to return to some of the activities you enjoy soon! Slow and steady.

Please ask your doctor to reconsider physical therapy. I went to water therapy for about three months. Being able to walk in the water and do some of the water exercises really helped me.

Closed Thread