It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2012, 03:50 AM   #1
(female)

mariki HB User
lower legs very swollen

I underwent AlIF surgery L5/S1 w/ 2 cadaver implats. immediately after surgery there was a concern because my lower legs were very swollen. In few days they got better but since the surgery the pain in my legs has been incapacitating with the worse been in the heels. 6 weeks after surgery I woke up with my feet and ankles and lower legs completely swollen. I took diazyde with no results of any kind. walking did not help with the swelling, neither elevating the legs.
the edema is bilateral but the pain and edema is worse in the right leg. I just came back from the hospital were a doppler ultrasound came out negative for blood clots. so far no doctor has been telling me why this is happening. I did my homework and suspect both damage to nerves and lymphatic vases. The hospital just gave me elastic stocking to the knee and no other diuretic. I guess my question is: is there light at the end of the tunnel? will this go away or get better? I understand I am still early in recovery but it would be nice to know what to expect.

thanks for any input.

Mariki

Old 08-23-2012, 05:48 AM   #2
(male)

stephenzi HB User
Re: ALIF/Posterior: L2-S1 Fusion w/2 cadavers & multiple decompressions

Mariki,

Now, take a deep breath a listen, as I KNOW what I am talking about, because I went through hell for a good 6 months. I could not put shoes on for the whole time, until I resolved this.

I did research on my own, because the doctors were not really making sense on what to do. I don't have all the information in front of me, but this should help. I live in NJ, and I did my googling, and came up with what I felt I needed to do. Basically, I had to find a doctor who specialized in SECONDARY Lymphodema (which is what you and I have). Primary Doctor is fine too, because they will diagnose it. IF you cannot find a doctor, do not panic. Etiher way, you then find a Physical Therapist, who specializes or is knowledgable in LYMPHATIC MASSAGE. I found mine at St. Barnabas PT Center, in Livingston, NJ (I believe that is the town).

I went to see her, and here is the basics of what happened. She had me order, through their PT center, this special bandages (wraps). When they arrived, I came in, and she did this special wrapping from my toes to just below my knee. It will be a huge thing that looks like a cast from a distance, but is really soft bandages. I was to wear them as long as I could for the day, then take them off, and have my wife redo them. They teach you how to do it. Seems complicated, but it really isn't. I wore it about 6 hours the first day, and took it off to sleep because it was itching. When I took it off, I was amazed at how much it came down. We redid the bandages in the morning, and I kept it on for about 10-12 hours. When I took it off this time, my legs were about 97% normal. I was stunned. I never had to put those bandages back on again. A couple times I wore the strech support sock things, but that was over a year ago, and I have never had another problem again.

TRUST me on this. GO do this immediately and really, you can just get the RX from your regular doctor of you don't have the money to see another doctor first. It is so basically simple, but you MUST get a PT who knows what they are doing. Just ask if they have Lymphatic massage/treatment training.

And please, post back and let me know how you do. I would be shocked if you are not better after seeing them.

Oh, and my feet still hurt to this day. Cymbalta DEFINITELY helps me with that pain. I also use Pennsaid drops 1.5% solution and I paint my heels and the bottom of my feet when they get to be too much. It is an anti inflamatory that is used directly on the place you want it to work on.

Hope this helps, and please feel free to ask me if you have any questions or live in the NJ area, because I know what you are going through, from experience. And I can let you know who I went to.

Best,

Steve

Last edited by Administrator; 08-23-2012 at 07:53 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to stephenzi For This Useful Post:
mariki (10-17-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread