It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #1
(female)

sadies1 HB User
Dynesis and fusion

I had 2 discs removed 21 years ago and 8 screws inserted 10 years ago, 4 of which were replaced 8 years ago. I have had nothing but pain since, had numerous epidurals, pain management therapy and am constantly popping pills to keep going. I am due another review by my consultant and wondered if anyone had any thoughts on what my prognosis is? I've been told that they took so much bone away for the screws that to remove the screws would be a big and risky operation. Full fusion I've also been told may well not work in my situation and could leave me a lot worse off and if the screws come loose and they leave them in the pain will only get worse so am a little pessimistic about my future!

Old 08-23-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Dynesis and fusion

If I am understanding your post, they put screws in but did not do anything to fuse the spine? I don't understand what the point of that is...since the hardware is not designed to hold your spine in place indefinitely. Eventually the screws will loosen or work their way out, or even break. As this happens, there is a likelihood for instability...which ends up resulting in pain.

I am really confused. What did they do when they removed the discs? Without the disc holding the space, or a replacement for that disc, wouldn't you just end up with bone on bone?

I'm sorry I don't have anything to offer you at this point -- I really can't figure out your situation.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
(female)

sadies1 HB User
Re: Dynesis and fusion

Lol nothing's ever simple with me! I inherited a condition from my dad where we both have very narrow spinal canals so if discs are even slightly bulging, it causes great problems. Hence I had the discectomy. Some years later I my pain began to increase and I was unable to stand for more than a few minutes and was always in pain so my consultant suggested the dynesis procedure to provide more stability. He said if it didn't work I'd be no worse off and if I didn't have it done, I would only get worse. However, he didn't factor on the massive impact of nerve reaction and scar tissue which has caused major problems ever since. Some of the screws did come loose on the right side so they were replaced and did improve slightly for a time.

I was told at the time and up to now that fusion is too risky for my situation and that the screws have now done their job and do not need to be in - but it's a tricky op to remove them because of all the bone they cut away when they first put them in. However, as you say, if they become loose, the pain will only get worse, and they are more likely to now start coming loose from now as its been 10 years. He thinks if they take them out I'll be no worse off but the risk of the surgery to get them out poses more of a problem! I've got to have a full review which will involve scans, etc. but I'm struggling at the moment to see any long-term hope!

Closed Thread