It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2012, 11:03 PM   #1
(female)

leahspain HB User
Angry So sick of living in pain

I was diagnosed in 2003 with degenerative disk disease. I've been told that this is all in my head, I must be mental. I've been told that I should be in a wheel chair befor the year is out, I've been told that there is no reason for me to be in pain and that I should seek mental help! I want to scream!!!! I have days when you can't tell anything is the matter with me and I have frequent spells that are debilitating and down right crippling at times. I have no medical insurance and go for long spells that leave me helpless in bed and angry from the deep burning pain, spasums and frustrated by my inability to help myself. The pain progresses to a pont that the slightest movement causes raging pain. I'm tired of being called crazy, I'm tired of living in pain. Can anything be done to help me or is this it! Feels like my life is over and I want to screm, so very angry and in pain!!!

The following user gives a hug of support to leahspain:
purplegirl1 (08-24-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 12:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: So sick of living in pain

There are some things I think would help you. One is to take Naprosyn OTC or by prescription (stronger dose) as it reduces the inflammation of the disc pressing on nerves, which then causes spasm. A muscle relaxant can give you some relief from spasms and can be taken with the Naprosyn. Then during severe bouts you might take a short course of Prednisone, a RX stronger anti-inflammatory, that can get you thru the bad spells and may only require 3-5 days of Prednisone. When your back is real bad, take it easy and get off your feet. Also use very good body mechanics, so as not to lift the wrong way. A strong back support belt, the double layer type with stays, can also give relief, and a heating pad when lying down will help relax the muscles. I am sorry you have had so many inappropriate comments made to you. That is hurtful on top of the pain you already are dealing with. None of the medicines I suggested are expensive. If you can get health insurance some way, some other options, like epidural steroid injections might be a consideration.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
leahspain (08-28-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2012, 12:39 AM   #3
(female)

kathnite1 HB Userkathnite1 HB Userkathnite1 HB User

It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who will tell someone in our shoes that it's all in your head or you're just lazy (like when I got my handicapped placard years ago). They have no idea what we go through each minute of the day. Then, unfortunately, it happens to them or someone they know, and it's such an awful experience and they come to you for advice and finally, understand what it's been all about.

I hope that you are able to get some OTC medication to help you and somehow get some insurance so you can get further treatment. Hang in there!

Old 08-24-2012, 05:57 AM   #4
(male)

larry555 HB User

Nice decisions.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
(female)

anotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB User

I feel for you. I have heard similar situations from SO many people with their doctors telling them there is no reason for pain or trying to say the pain is for psychological reasons. It is so frustrating! When something is invisible, others often just don't understand it, unfortunately.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
(female)

leahspain HB User

[QUOTE=leahspain;5044667]I was diagnosed in 2003 with degenerative disk disease. I've been told that this is all in my head, I must be mental. I've been told that I should be in a wheel chair befor the year is out, I've been told that there is no reason for me to be in pain and that I should seek mental help! I want to scream!!!! I have days when you can't tell anything is the matter with me and I have frequent spells that are debilitating and down right crippling at times. I have no medical insurance and go for long spells that leave me helpless in bed and angry from the deep burning pain, spasums and frustrated by my inability to help myself. The pain progresses to a pont that the slightest movement causes raging pain. I'm tired of being called crazy, I'm tired of living in pain. Can anything be done to help me or is this it! Feels like my life is over and I want to screm, so very angry and in pain!!![/QUOTE]

The following user gives a hug of support to leahspain:
workinmom572 (09-23-2012)
Old 08-28-2012, 02:22 PM   #7
(female)

leahspain HB User

I'm still learning to use this site, so I'm not clear on how to answer each post but I'm trying to learn. I am greatful to everyone for your ideas to help and just the support. I'm so angry these days and I'm feeling like the man who claims to love me doest seem to understand, makes me feel like he doesnt even believe that my pain could be what it is. This last spell was brought on by my pushing past my limits when we moved in mid July. Saturday night I made dinner through the pain that radiates down my legs and feels like a million needles in my feet and he pops off and says that "he is the only one that does anything, he's sick of being the only one that cleaning up after everyone!" I haven't said five words to him all total in the past few days. I want to scream, he has had to help me just the last two weeks and he says that but heaven forbid anyone ask his 19 year old son to clean up after himself! If you even suggest he pick up after himself then your picking on him. I was last in the hospital on the 21st the did an entire spine X-ray that shows mid multilevel endplat spurring both in the cirvical and thoracic spine and disk space narrowing, I was in enough pain to bring tears to my eyes and he laughed. The nurse told him what a jerk he was, he said don't laugh it's not funny she's in pain! Still stuck in my head! Feel like this is just an insult to injury.

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: leahspain
hillcountry63 (08-28-2012), lgp43 (08-30-2012), tinasmurf (09-22-2012)
Old 09-22-2012, 10:39 PM   #8
(female)

tinasmurf HB User

[QUOTE=leahspain;5047078][/QUOTE]
I know how you feel i was diagnosed at a young age with several back problems and have been getting help for medical from the state. Well at the begining of this month i moved to a new state and can't get medical now i have to pay out of pocket $90 to see the pain management doctor then about $100 for my med and that is with a perscription card and the $4 Walmart list for some of them. i havent had any of my pain meds for 3 weeks and my new roommate spends all day tell me to get up and suck it up

Old 09-23-2012, 06:33 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User

Leah:

I have had health issues for 24 years. It started off with spine issues and I still have issues that are progressive. Beyond the spine I ended up with diabetes and ended up in the ER 9 years ago because my blood sugar was 1500 plus. I was out of my mind because it was so high. I dont remember half the things that occurred. It shocked people when I survived. Ive also been thru surgery for pancreatic cancer. And I went thru surgery for a blood clot. Going into surgery I was told there was a chance my leg would be amputated. The leg was saved.
As to the spine I have been thru 7 surgeries. Half my spine is Harrington Rods. I have severe nerve damage in the neck and low back; severe arthritis and peripheral neuropathy. My legs are extremely numb. I have more neck issues and I am losing strength in my arms. They are getting weaker all the time.
I am at the point that surgically they are afraid to touch me. I am left with being medicated. I am on hydrocodone and tizanidine a muscle relaxant. Some days are better then others.
Some days like you I want to scream. Lately I have cut myself off from people because I cant deal with people.
I do go to a gym in hopes of relieving the pain even though it is temporary. I do pool therapy and one day a woman in the pool who I got to know asked me if everything I was going thru was in "my head." I tried not to scream and tell her off.
There are times you can look at me and you would never know that there is anything wrong.
Last weekend I happened to be at dinner at a friends house. Before I went I was close to calling and saying I was cancelling out. Partially I didnt want to be with anyone. But partially also because of the pain.
I ended up going to dinner. Half way thru dinner I was screaming internally thinking get me out of here I cant do it any more.
Once in a while you can see the pain because of the expression on my face. A few months ago I went out and a friend saw me sitting there and came over and said are you ok? And then said it looked like I was in pain and asked if he could drive me home?
So I understand the frustrations you are going thru.

Yes there are times that I feel that I am at the end of the road. I feel that I am tired of searching for doctors that will listen and who can provide some solutions. I am now looking for a new pain doctor.

I know my life the way it was 25 years ago will never ever be back. I know I am progressing and getting worse. Yes at times I feel its over.
But then something inside of me clicks and I continue my search.

Not sure what else to add. We are here for support. Hope you know that you are not alone. there are people that understand you.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:09 AM   #10
(female)

bafumasi HB User
Cool Re: So sick of living in pain

[QUOTE=leahspain;5047078][/QUOTE]im so sorry you feel the way u do...my huband has the same god aweful pain..
im his
wife...he had back surgery in 2004..failed worse than he was before the surgery..nerve damage...aweful...he cant sleep all nite. pain msnagement writes scrips for meds...but his pain is always 6 or higher..he can never work...ever....just to moe the yard.(now it pudhes for him) he is in horrible pain for 3 days...added pain..

Old 09-23-2012, 07:25 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Have any of you looked into rhizotomy (burning of the nerves that carry pain)? It is commonly done for intractable spine pain. You have to pick the worst level, but it can help tremendously and lasts about a year. Can be redone then. Just have to figure out which level is most painful. Pain management Drs do the procedure under sedation and fluoroscopy. Also called radiofrequency ablation. I have had it done and it worked well.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:39 AM   #12
(male)

luck25 HB Userluck25 HB User

I know how u feel. I moved and was in similar pain for two years until this doctor here did a new MRI and found l5s1 disc bulging bad enough for surgery. I'm sorry u don't have ins and my doc told me it was all on my head for two years. It hurt me personally. Hopefully u have someone in your family who will understand even if they can't help financially. You need to tell them. It makes me furious your husband is such an ***. You can get help there are ways. Go to work force services in your area and talk with them. You can apply for Medicare. Your husband needs to get insurance and take care of you. I'm sorry and I feel for you. Good luck.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:25 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

You need to do a mri. Then you will know more or less what is the problem. Not sure they can know 100% why it hurts but at least they can assume.

I am sorry your husband is like that. Men like women who are energetic and healthy-----as a rule.

Last edited by nochange; 09-23-2012 at 07:29 PM.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:45 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

workinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB User

Your pain IS so real!!! DDD can lead to herniations, and that's what happened.to me. 17 prior.years of on and off Aweful.pain. do you have ins now?. What type of drs have you seen? I found a spinal center the best for me and the first Dr that justified my pain in forever!! Good luck, and you also need a Dr to explain to loved ones how real this.is and how severely painful it is so.They can grasp it or.someone needs to kick their behind for.you!
Arthritis
Herniations
Spurs

Closed Thread