It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2012, 05:06 PM   #1
(male)

carbide HB User
back pain from hell

Hello I'm new to this site with many questions. I'm gunna be 22 this Sunday and I'm battling the worst pain I've ever had and its tearing my life apart. I'm a cnc machinest /programmer and alot of time its pretty physical work. I don't know wat happened to cause me to end up in er with arthritic changes, sciatica, and lumbar herniated disks.. I've just recently been referred to pain management. Ive tried all the stretching and all the motrin, tylenol, aspirin you name it. All that doesn't do anything. Am I screwed? Should I just try pain meds?? I'm young but if taking pain meds is gunna give me relief from the disaster I feel every day and night than so be it. I hope someone can maybe point in the right direction .. this pain starts at my tailbone and shoots down. Feels like my bones are badly bruised and my nerves are dying. Not to mention the numbness and tingly sensation all the way to my toes. Will my pm doctor help me? I want to be taken seriously. Please help

Old 08-24-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

dee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB User
Re: back pain from hell

back problems are a pain in the you know what. I have been suffering for 24 yrs. I do take pain meds which only take the edge off. I was told that an operation would help but I am a sissy. There are meds, a t.e.n.s machine, physcial therepy, chiropracters, exercise, injections, and other options. Your'e young and have options. Hopefully one will work. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2012, 03:41 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User

Hi. I have been suffering with spine issues since 1988. I was 35 at the time and now 59. I have been thru 7 surgeries on both the cervical and lumbar areas. I have Harrington Rods in my neck/thoracic area and lumbar region as well.

It seems as though every time I had surgery, the doctor did what he was supposed to do. So I am not complaining about the doctors. But after each surgery a new issue would arise. Guess I was prone to spine issues. NO I was not involved in any type of accident &/or fall. It just occurrred. I guess it can be classified as degenerative.

What tests have you been thru? You didn't mention anything about an MRI or what the report said. And who are you treating with? Are you seeing an Orthopedist or a Neurosurgeon?

I would recommend seeing one of the 2 but make sure that they are specifically trained in spine related issues. Personally I tend to find doctors that are affiliated with major teaching hospitals. I find them the best doctors especially when it comes complicated cases.

As I said I have had spine issues for a long time and have been on disability because of it since 2003. And yes things are getting progressively worse for me. I am on hydrocodone and tizanidine (muscle relaxant). I find that I am extremly stiff at times. Could be the arthritis. I have been told that I have severe nerve damage in the neck & low back; severe arthritis in the neck and low back and peripheral neuropathy which could be from the spine but also could be diabetic in nature.

I suggest you be proactive on treatment. Get to the best doctor that you can. I don't know what insurance plan you have or who is on your plan. But my feeling as to doctors in general is to get to the best doctors possible.

Stay on top of this and get the treatment you need. I don't want to see you end up in the same boat that I am. Good luck and please keep us posted on how you are doing....

Old 08-25-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
(male)

carbide HB User

Well I had xrays and nothing showed I've had a catscan that showed kidney stones and "arthritic changes" so the doc says. I have no insurance at this point but am shopping around. I to have zanaflex and it does nothing for me. Had Vicodin but my doctor took me off. Wat an ***.. he gave me a pink paper with 2 pm doctors "in the same building" and I desperately need to go. I'm not ALL for narcotics but its time for relief. Can't sleep nor do my job at all. I don't want a new job either. I heard Chiropractors will just hurt you more. Physical therapy is not wat I'm seeking cuz I'm doin the physical movements everyday. I'm on wits end and I hope my pm doc will take care of me. And ignore my age.. cuz I can't do it anymore. I definitely don't want surgery cuz my life would be over. Is it wrong to wanna try pain meds? Will they give em to me? I want to function but need no pain at all. Thank you all for your support. Cuz I have none.. I also want to know how serious herniated disks are in the lumbar. I'm pretty scared because I've always been a workaholic and now I can't barely walk sometimes. I wanna know if a pm doc will do wat I wanna do and not all wat he thinks is best. Cuz I'm o.ly one that will know wats best for ME.

Last edited by carbide; 08-25-2012 at 10:06 AM.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:14 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User

One thing that struck me is that you dont want physical therapy cause you are moving all the time. But is it the right type of movement to deal with the problem? you may be doing something incorrectly and causing more damage to yourself. As to the pain med route no its not wrong to be conservative. No one wants surgery but in some cases it is the only way to correct a problem. And it does NOT mean your life is over if you have surgery. Your quality of life may be diminsihed if you dont do something that is the only option. You really have a lot more to think about..........

Old 08-26-2012, 08:19 AM   #6
(male)

carbide HB User

You may be right.. I've ALWAYS had bad posture and it probably has alot to do with it, but again its a nerve. Numbness all the way down BOTH legs. Under my knees and my waistline. I can't sit or stand for long periods of time. I do, let me rephrase HAVE to do some heavy lifting at times and it doesn't help obviously. Is there any Medications anyone could recommend? Let me just say that Vicodin 500mg does absolutely nothing. I don't want surgery even tho doc says it could be a good option. Even after that ill be on pain meds. So its a lose lose situation. I'm scared of taking narcotics cuz I don't want to be an addict. But who wants to feel pain?? I'm 22 today and don't know how I should attack this situation. I think physical therapy and pain meds could be a great start. Or not??? I stretch every morning before work.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:51 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Again you need someone that will direct you to the right exercizes for whatever the problem is. They are the experts NOT you on what is the right stretching and exercise that you need.

Maybe the problem is a nerve and with proper alignment you can take the pressure or inflammation off the nerve and that can be accomplished with either or both medication and the right physical therapy.

We are not the doctors and not the ones that can recommend what is right for your problem or what medications you should or shouldnt be on What works for one person may not work for the next.

Stop being your own doctor on your exercises. You may have to face reality that surgery may or may not be the right option for you.

You need PROFSSIONAL help on what is right for you.

It's only a lose lose situation if you dont get the treatment that you need and that would be your decision. You can either get the right exercises or see what meds work for you. If that doesnt work then try the next step. there are no guarantees on anything. But the way you are thinking it will end up being a lose lose situation

Old 08-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #8
(female)

imharleysgirl HB Userimharleysgirl HB Userimharleysgirl HB Userimharleysgirl HB User

carbide, my husband is also a CNC machinist. He stands on concrete 12 hours a day and as part of his job crawls around VERY slippery machinery that is nearly impossible to balance on. He has had his knee replaced and is now suffering pain similar to yours including radicular pain...he has stenosis.
My advice to you is definitely seek out a great physical therapist and occupational therapist, they are worth every penny...even if it's out of pocket.
The one thing I know is you do NOT want to mix narcotics with a CNC machine!
My husband refuses rx pain meds but might be a P.T. junkie...thank goodness his p.t. is a guy or I would be suspicious.

Do try physical therapy...you won't be sorry.
I hope you feel better very soon.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #9
(male)

carbide HB User

Your all right.. ill try out pt and see where it goes. But the problem is I need something during work hours. That's when everything sucks. 3 years ago I was everywhere productive and getting raises left and right. Now I'm slow paced barely making it. I run 3 Haas vf9s and a beefy Haas vs3. It sucks climbing up and down on the vs3. I've taken the vics at work my NC manager knew it wasn't a very high dose so I actually did MUCH better. But a month later I fell back into the pain mode. I talked with doc and he said try a different opiate. Maybe up the dose to 750s. I think it would be safe because most of the day I'm programming. But as I sit I hurt much more then when I stand. Very confused. I have to alternate up and down. But not enough relief. I also don't wanna moisture any work cuz money issues. Also kinda off topic but I've been on medical marijuana and don't know if pm will test me for it. I stopped smoking just to be safe. UT don't wanna be denied medical attention for weed... any help with that would be. Oil. I'm going to see doctor v Thomas in Sterling heights Michigan. The one on 15 mile
Don't know how strict that are with thc.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:42 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I did a little research on the PM doctor you recommended, and he gets very high marks from his patients. I would suggest you go in and explain your issues...but you do not want to go in, at age 22, and tell him what type of drug you need or he might think you are a drug seeker. You can tell him what you have tried and what has worked...that would be helpful. But do not request a particular drug.

The problem with a herniated disc is that it will not be able to heal on its own if you continue doing the same activities that probably strained it in the first place. Without sufficient time off for it to heal, and then time with physical therapy to build up the core and back muscles to help support the spine, the disc will never be able to heal.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:46 AM   #11
(male)

carbide HB User

I will do just that. That's a relief u said that they give him a good rating. I still don't know if they'll allow just a little thc. That's wat I'm worried about. I wouldn't ask him for meds but I just hope hell fix me.

Closed Thread