It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
(female)

Mama2NateBug HB User
New here and having Lumbar Laminectomy next week

I'm new here, but would love some feedback on a lumbar laminectomy. I'm having one done next Friday, August 31, 2012 (L5-S1) and would love any advice and stories on how others have done through this. Also, is it true that you are not to take anything like Ibuprofen, aspirin, advil, etc. for the week before the surgery? The nurse told me yesterday for my pre-op appointment, that starting next Tuesday, I would only be able to take my hydrocodone and nothing else. I've been rotating them with Ibuprofen just so I don't take too many of the hydro. Any stories of before and after surgery and advice would be helpful.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: New here and having Lumbar Laminectomy next week

Medications like aspirin are not allowed prior to surgery because they thin the blood -- and they don't want to run the risk that your blood might not clot when they need it to.

Sorry I can't really help you with any personal experiences -- I've only had laminectomies in conjunction with fusion, so don't know how much easier and shorter recovery might be.

Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
(female)

alida1234 HB User

Yes....it is true that you should not take medicines like u mentioned. I tookavrest deal of aleve before surgery and they told me to quit only two days before surgery which was too late! I almost had to have a blood transfusion cause I bled so much! I had a lam 15 years ago and did Great! I had another on l5/s1 this past Dec. And have not done as well due to calcification and scar tissue. Remember to walk as much as possiBle and follow doctors orders! Keep us posted on how u do! Good luck!

Old 08-26-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User

Hi. First of all best wishes for a speedy recovery next week when you go thru your surgery.

Yes, normally some medications should be stopped prior to surgery. As the others have stated things like blood thinners I believe are stopped. But follow the instructions of your surgeons office as to what medications you can or can not take prior to the surgery. they should give you pre-op instructions on what to do.

as to me personally, I have been thru a total of 9 surgeries. Seven of them were spine related.
The spine surgeries I had were between my cervical region and my lumbar region.

As to my neck, I found that the roughest surgery personally. I had stenosis in the neck and then I had something called Kyphosis where I could not keep my head in proper alignment. That surgery was the toughest in that it required 2 surgeries one posterior and one anterior for a total of 12 hours.

on my lumbar surgery I had a laminectiomy and then something called Flatback which like the kyphosis i could not stand up straight. I found the lumbar surgeries a lot easier for some reason over the cervical surgeries. Usually I was up and out of bed a day or so after the surgery and walking the halls of the hospital. then when I got home yes I was weak but I would try to walk as much as possible and over the course of a few months I was pretty much back to normal. Again I found the lumbar surgery a lot easier to deal with. The neck for me at least was a nightmare. With the 12 hour surgery on the neck I had to wear a neck brace for about 4 + months day and night and didn't deal with it very well.

Good luck with surgery. I think you will do fine Just keep a positive attitude going into the surgery. Keep us posted..

Old 08-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
(female)

rosebud55 HB Userrosebud55 HB Userrosebud55 HB Userrosebud55 HB User

Hi! I had a laminectomy five weeks ago today. L3, L4 and L5. I was not allowed anything but Norco prior to surgery. I am still using a walker at home and a back brace.
And I am in physical therapy three times a week. It's real important to have help at home because there are restrictions, no lifting, bending or twisting. That bending one is hard for me because I seem to drop everything. Bought some grabbers though and they are great.
The first two weeks home were the most painful, now I still have pain, but nothing compared to those first two weeks. Overall, I'm happy so far I had it done as before the surgery I was in a lot of pain unless I was sitting down and I have a job that requires I walk and be on my feet most of the shift.
I also had weakness down my left leg and my feet were numb. My leg is already stronger and the numbness is gone. Just a matter of getting stronger and I'm not young anymore so it takes a bit longer.
I wish you all the best in your surgery. I believe mine went well. Compared to how I was feeling prior to the surgery, I'm already doing better. My physical therapist told me that it will be about 3-4 months before I can return to work.
Best to you.

Closed Thread