It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2012, 12:56 PM   #1
(female)

seniorsgal HB User
Problems with pain in the butt

Talk about pain in the butt. Ha! I am writing this in for my sister since she doesn't have a computer. She has all of a sudden started to have pain in the butt cheek area. She says it really hurts at night when she lays down. She has had a lot of back problems also. She has had surgery a couple of times. The last was two years ago and was on the sciatic nerve. But she says this is really something different. She has been working out a little at the gym so wonders if something she has done there has caused it. Anyone got any ideas. I sure don't.

The following user gives a hug of support to seniorsgal:
workinmom572 (08-28-2012)
Old 08-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Problems with pain in the butt

Read up on piriformis syndrome and see if that sounds anything like what she is describing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2012, 06:47 AM   #3
(female)

seniorsgal HB User

She says it sounds just like that except for the fact that it doesn't hurt of the day, just at nightl any reason for that that you know of.
Thanks

Old 08-31-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

That confuses me. With piriformis syndrome, it usually hurts most when the person is active, walking, sitting, etc. and lying down provides some relief.

Does your sister spend a lot of time sitting? It may be that her sitting posture is putting stress on a ligament that is causing the pain.

The pain could also be caused by a joint in the pelvis or lumbar spine being out of alignment. There might be some arthritis in the sacroiliac joint. That is the type of thing that can hurt more at night.

I guess if the pain persists, your sister may want to see a doctor to rule out any serious, non-spine related issue.

Does it feel any better when she applies either ice or heat?

Closed Thread