It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2012, 01:37 PM   #1
(female)

anotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB User
Cramps in lower legs

I have problems with L4/L5 and sacrum and other soft tissue things.
Does anyone ever get carmps in the front of their calves - is it from your L4/L5? I get those cramps quite a bit- they are not fun!

Old 08-30-2012, 04:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

purplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB User
Re: Cramps in lower legs

Yup that's what I had pre-fusion!!!! Sooooo painful

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2012, 01:55 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User

I have had issues with cramping for years. I can't remember exactly when they started but it may have been pre-surgery when they began. First surgery was in 1994.

I have had lumbar and cervical surgery. The cramping that I get even recently sometimes is in the foot/ankle area then upper thigh area. When it really gets bad , it usually occurs in the middle of the night when I am in bed, I cant get out bed. And when I finally do I cannot straighten out my leg it is ever so painful. I am grabbing onto furniture or whatever I can to get to the kitchen for some water.

I can go thru periods of times where I dont have any issues at all for years, then it kicks in again and I will get a number of "cramping issues" again. Sometimes the cramping is so bad that even though the cramping has stopped the next day my legs feel extremely sore. Never have been able to get an asnwer on what the cause was.

One doctor put me on Quinine which was originally used for malaria and supposedly helpful for cramps. A neighbor of mine said that when he would get it he would drink Tonic Water and it would relieve the symptoms since there was quinine in it. Never worked for me though.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:16 AM   #4
(female)

anotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB User

Thanks for writing. I tried the quinine and tonic water - did not help me either. I take magnesium, but it does not seem to help much either. It seems to be coming more from the back. Thanks so much for writing - I appreciate it very much.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:24 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User

After seeing your post I seem to remember someone else mentioning magnesium as a help for cramps. I think there different types of magnesium products and I cant remember the specifics of what was recommended. I never tried it.

I have mentioned the cramping to several of my doctors and never got an answer on cause or what to do.

the only doctor that I had that addressed the issue was my primary care doctor about 20 years ago. He put me on an Rx for Quinine. Only took it for a short period of time and didn't think it did much either.

Still searching for an answer since when the cramps start for me they are extrmely painful and I think I tolerate pain fairly well.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:31 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

workinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB User

The quinine is in tonic water and suggested for restless leg syndrom, of which I took an rx for years but since my back surgery I think it was all lumbar related and not RLS at all. I find Now post op at night some leg issues but I think It's from when. I lay on my side and knees bent too long.
Arthritis
Herniations
Spurs

Closed Thread