It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2012, 08:33 AM   #1
(male)

voratv HB User
Smile A fall backward

Dear Doctor
I had a fall A DAY BEFORE and my X RAY L.S. SPINE AP & LAT show the following remark by Radiologist:
1. Minimal collapse of D12 vertebral body is noted.
2.The L4 & L5 vertebral bodies show tiny osteophytes.
What is this and what treatment I should take?
Currently I am advised rest and asked to wear LS Belt.
I am taking Tablet Flexon(Ibuprofen & Paracetamol), Tab Rantac and Tab Celol-ALL THREE TIMES A DAY.
PL SUGGEST ME WHAT IS MY DIAGNOSIS AND SUGGEST ME IF JUST TAKING REST WILL BE ADEQUATE?
MANY THANKS AND REGARDS

Old 08-31-2012, 09:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: A fall backward

Welcome to the board. I am sorry you fell and are now hurting. Were you suffering from back pain prior to the fall?

What you wrote about the X-ray results is probably something you can deal with by resting and taking it easy for several days.

The osteophytes are small bone growths, sometimes referred to as a bone spur that are an initial sign of some degenerative changes in the spine.

The human spine, due to walking on two feet and having to deal with the forces of gravity, begins to show some signs of aging as early as our 20s. It is common for anyone to have some signs such as osteophytes without it being a cause for concern. These would not be caused by the fall the day before, but a sign of something going on over a period of time.

--I just noticed your "Dear Doctor." On this website the people writing on the forum are not medical professionals. In this case, we are people with back and neck problems sharing information based on our personal experiences, etc. Anything you read on this forum is no substitute for a consultation with a medical professional.

Last edited by teteri66; 08-31-2012 at 10:02 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
voratv (08-31-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
(male)

voratv HB User

Thank you so much for your kind reply teteri66.
I really appreciate this site where people like me share their experiences with each other to give them confidence.
I did not have any back pain earlier and probably, this was the first time an x-ray was taken for my spine and some bone spurs were detected. Perhaps they were present earlier also before the fall I suffered.
I was little worried as my doctor told me that there is a fracture of D 12 vertebra and told me it will be ok with rest for 3 weeks with a LS Belt. I was a bit sceptical as normal fractures require much more attention and care but your mail has put my worries to rest and I will enjoy taking rest for a few weeks and hopefully things will be ok.
Thanks again....

Old 08-31-2012, 12:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

The fracture probably occurred due to the fall, but I don't think they know for sure. Often, vertebral fractures are treated differently from a broken bone in another part of the body. Often, there is a line of fracture (like a crack) but the bone doesn't break in two. When this is the case, the doctor could tell from the X-ray...and he didn't feel it was necessary to treat more aggressively...like with surgery.

I would suggest you rest, but after several weeks go by , IF you are in more pain, be sure to call your doctor.

Remember to eat a calcium-rich diet and drink lots of fluids. That will help with new bone cell growth!

Closed Thread