It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

workinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB User
difference between mckenzie, physio, and regular ot/pt?

My NS said studies show aqua Therapy is no better for post op PT, but swimming is ideal for say next year, and I can't, walking is best. So, I Got an order for PT/OT, now just deciding where to go. I found a place, 20 min away that had spine in their name.I called, They specialize in spine he said and once I looked on their website it said McKenzie method of Therapy. After a little research all I learned was no massage, no ultrasound, etc. So.then I have a friend who owns a PT facility and teaches also at Northwestern. But, I've seen the word physiotherapy mentioned on here before. Looking for input and opinions on what to ask and look for in post fusion Therapy. Thanks.
Arthritis
Herniations
Spurs

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: difference between mckenzie, physio, and regular ot/pt?

I'm not sure how much I can help to clarify as I've found most physical therapists have a bit of the McKenzie method mixed in with their training. Actual McKenzie is not only exercises, but a whole way of evaluating the patient and then formulating a treatment plan. Robin McKenzie wrote a book called "Treat Your Back" which contains many of the exercises that are now incorporated into what most PTs use today. If you have had a fusion, the whole method is not for you because there is an emphasis on exercises with the back in extension...which is terrible for lumbar fusions. But you could probably find the book at a local library and take a look at it.

I thought the term "physiotherapy" was just what people in the UK call physical therapy.

What are your concerns about the friend's PT business? Why don't you consult with her and ask if anyone has specific interest and experience in working with spine surgery patients?

I must say that I spent almost 9 months with an elderly aunt who had a stroke, helping her with her recovery. I sat through many PT sessions in a hospital rehab unit watching other PTs treat spine patients and could barely keep my mouth shut!! I was stunned at what I considered to be lack of knowledge and experience. I know I am very spoiled because my spine surgeon hired his own PT 20 years ago...so the man knows exactly and precisely what was done to my back and what my doctor's goals are, etc. He too teaches the PhD candidates at a local university. I have found that to be very helpful and keeps him at the top of his game...so I would think your friend would be good...but, something is holding you back?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

workinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB User
Re: difference between mckenzie, physio, and regular ot/pt?

You are correct. I did some research online, pysio is.Europe's name for.what We in U.S. called PT. I just wanted the BEST and my current therapists and even It's company said aqua was best, but then NS said not really. Oh, I love my PT friend. (A male) I k.own.him from when I worked for a neurologist. He has treated me apx 3 diff times over the years and only accepts my Ins, never a dime from me. I even called him for pre surgery advice and he said even though I quit working in healthcare he would always help me as in past, so, I am going to see him for eval this Monday. He last did pelvic traction and ultrasound on my lumbar before this big injury as I could not walk or lay down and was having a hysterectomy in December and had to able.to lay down for that surgery. My only concern is that my lawyer fighting my work comp case May want me to go to someone else as he only wants med records from Dr's I've seen for this.surgery, nothing prior, but since I've seen him previously, it may be an issue, BUT more than my case I want THE BEST PT I can get to recover the BEST I CAN.
Arthritis
Herniations
Spurs

Closed Thread