It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

workinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB User
massage or tens or ultrasound ever again after fusion?

Just curious, as pre- surgery I was getting massage 2-3 times a week along with Tens and ultra sound for pain relief though it only lasted anywhere from an hour to several. I'm just curious if I can say ever get a massage again, but obviously avoid my fusion area? I would give for a good leg massage, and and I know I can at least get that with a Medicare, BUT ALSO: with numbness and weakness in one foot and calf should I not let anyone even do that? I mean, can it cause damage if I can't feel.it fully or possibly hurt I am thinking?? I ask about the other treatments as I after this lumbar fusion I am going to try and avoid a cervical.one like the plague, and return to Esi's, cervical.traction, tens and ultrasound up in that area. Thanks & sorry if seems so dumb to.ask.
Arthritis
Herniations
Spurs

Old 09-07-2012, 11:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User
Re: massage or tens or ultrasound ever again after fusion?

I have an ALIF and had massages by a physical therapist within about 2 months post-op. Of course, I didn't have any sutures in the back. They also did tens.

About four months post-op, I had my first non-PT massage. I asked for only effleurage in the lower back, at first. I am now fused (9 months post-op yesterday) and they dig pretty hard in my still spasming lower back. Of course, they massage either side of the spine, not the spine itself. I never had much numbness in my feet, but I had CRPS/RSD (crazy nerve damage condition) in my left foot and had no problems with massage, just problems with a pedicure before the CRPS/RSD was diagnosed.

The Following User Says Thank You to SweetPeainSF For This Useful Post:
workinmom572 (09-08-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

workinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB User
Re: massage or tens or ultrasound ever again after fusion?

Well, I'm getting massage on my lumbar, scars and above three times a week at PT after I exercise. They say It's to get the blood flowing better there.
Arthritis
Herniations
Spurs

Closed Thread