It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
(male)

Sjm1985 HB User
more painful than before surgery

Hi new to the forum,

I've just had surgery last October and got to say that it's deviantly a lot more painful now than ever was before (to be honest weirdly enough it didn't hurt at all before) but unfortunately i didn't have any choice regarding treatment because i had ruptured my disc that bad that no P/T would help, only option was surgery..
Within a few months of been diagnosed with slipped disc it started to affect my bladder and they operate as sort of emergency. (I didn't realise i was suppose to go to A&E if it did effect bladder or bowls, so I just made an appointment with the neurosurgeon who immediately arranged for surgery)
Here's the weird part:
I was told before the surgery that he was performing microdiscectomy and post op i would be left with a 1-2cm incision and it would be sealed with glue or self dissolving stitch's..
I actually came out with a 7-8cm incision and 21 Staples, the neurosurgeon explained that they had to remove a significant portion of the vertebra disc. More than half of it!!! (has anyone else needed so much removed)

Now I've gained partial control back of my left foot but still have sever left leg weakness and i can't wear any footwear without a leg splint on & even with it, I still very restricted on how far I can actually walk before (for lack of better word) Goes floppy & can't support my own body weight. My GP explained want causes the leg weakness apparently it's because theirs a big gap in the l4-l5 on the left side & when i stand up it squeezes together and rubs/irritates the nerves in that area & eventually pinches them. Stopping the signals getting through to my leg.

Now I'm only 26 so with some luck I've gotta put up with this for a good 50 years & that sort of depresses hell outta of me, the real kicker is that all this damage to the disc accord whilst i was sleeping. I'd had a server epileptic seizure & woke up next morning not been able to stand up properly. (they said that theirs no way to be 100% sure but this amount of damage would of resulted in immediate loss of leg strength & foot drop, i would of known if it happened during the previous day) I had already hurt some muscles around the l4-l5 disc and during the seizure because the area was weakened it acted as a focal point for the convulsions and sort the disc out of place.

The real disheartening thing is that I'll deviantly have another episode & now the area is serverly weaker than before.. The first time was bad, the second time will be horrific!!! :0 :0 :0

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread