It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
(female)

groovygrandma HB User
13 days post-op & feeling great

I had a laminectomy of the L-5-s-1 & hardware removal of the L-3 through the L-5.( had the fusion last year not to mention a C-3 C-4 fusion May 2011 too). feeling pretty good! cant wait to start driving again. Exactly why is it that you cant drive, lift, sit for very long, ect.? All I was told is "dont do it"

Old 09-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User
Re: 13 days post-op & feeling great

I guess after any surgery there may be some weakness in the area and can be sensitive and easily damaged.

I can certainly see not lifting things that might cause undo stress on an area that is healing etc.

I am somewhat surprised that you had the hardware removed.

I have hardware in the cervical/thoracic region and the lumbar area as well.
At one point there was discussions to put in a spinal cord stimulator into the cervical area but due to the hardware there was no place to put the devices. So the conversation revolved around removing the hardware. Both my neurosurgeon and pain management/anesthesiologist both said the hardware could not be removed. It would be extremely dangerour to remove due to teh risk of paralysis. If there were any other risks to be concerned about I don't know. but for me it was not an option.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

workinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB User

So glad you are feeling well, now just rest no matter how good You feel. Follow Dr's orders.
Arthritis
Herniations
Spurs

Old 09-11-2012, 06:12 AM   #4
(female)

groovygrandma HB User

thanks for the response. The hardware in my neck is still there, its the lumbar that was removed. The hardware caused the L-5 S-1 to herniate to 6mm and impinge a nerve. Very painfulBut now feeling better! my doc let me keep my hardware and when I showed it to my husband thats when I think he truly understood what ive been through

The following user gives a hug of support to groovygrandma:
workinmom572 (09-11-2012)
Old 09-11-2012, 06:21 AM   #5
(female)

groovygrandma HB User

Thank you! I know but its hard. God knows im so done with back surgeries! This makes 4 in 18 months so this time im trying to do EVERYTHING im told

The following user gives a hug of support to groovygrandma:
workinmom572 (09-11-2012)
Old 09-11-2012, 08:00 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

There are sitting restrictions because sitting is the worst thing you can do for your spine. It puts 30% more pressure on the discs than any other position. After discectomy, you want as little pressure on the discs as possible, so the time is limited.

Driving is two-fold: people technically shouldn't drive if on pain medications.
Second, you are sitting in a cramped position, riding in a bumpy and jarring vehicle--after surgery the tissue is delicate for a long time -- the risk of reherniation is greatest during the first six weeks, but the disc doesn't really "scab over" and become relatively tough until six months.

When one has been in pain and unable to pursue normal activities and this pain is relieved by surgery, it is hard to not want to run out and do everyhing that hasn't been possible. So this can be a very challenging time for the patient...but you need to be very careful to not over-do.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
groovygrandma (09-11-2012)
Closed Thread