It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2012, 03:46 AM   #1
(female)

Edify HB User
Educators with Back Problems

Are there any current or former educators on this board? If so, how
have your back problems impacted your career? Has anyone been
placed on light duty or been in such pain that you've been forced
to quit teaching or retire before you planned to?

Old 09-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
(female)

alida1234 HB User
Re: Educators with Back Problems

Hi....I am retired now but have gone back part time. I had a lam. 15 years ago and had another in Dec. On l5/s 1. I swim and walk a lot. I have found that keeping busy plays an important role in the healing process. Plus....I missedthe kids. Good luck to you......ask away if u have questions.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
(female)

Calin HB UserCalin HB UserCalin HB User

Hi Edify,

I am a former teacher. I've been an educator for 35 years. While I currently work with teachers providing professional development, my work requires being in a different school every day and often traveling by car a lot. I am having to take a leave as my herniated disc has flared up and I'm unable to travel that much and get to so many schools. I know it's a little different than working with the kids though.

I'm waiting to see if I can have further injections; my goal is to get healthy and avoid surgery.

And you?

Old 09-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

workinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB User

Dumb question, but are you educators.more.on your feet than sitting?
Arthritis
Herniations
Spurs

Old 09-13-2012, 02:40 AM   #5
(female)

Edify HB User

I can't speak for all educators, but I never taught sitting down. With the exception of about fifteen minutes at lunch and a planning period, I was on my feet from sign-in until 3:30 daily. It was not until two years ago that I began using a stool for "back breaks" during the course of the day.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #6
(female)

alida1234 HB User

I taught exceptional needs students for 32 years and hardly ever sat Dow except for lunch. I think the movement and especially walking was better for me. Now that I have started substituting the movement again has helped.more than laying or sitting. Because I need to stay busy.....the work has helped me think of others beside myself. Sorry for the errors.....my Kendall does not recognize some words!

Old 09-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #7
(female)

I rarely sat down either...except on the floor with little ones sometimes. Currently I have to drive so much to get to so many schools, and this is not at all good for the back. I find walking and staying on my feet helps with a herniated disc.

I'm fearing I may be headed for surgery. Anyone here that has had a microdiscectomy? It scares me something terrible. Several years ago I had 1 injection that worked. Next time it took 2, this time 6 years later it took 3, and that was in January/Feb. I am now struggling with a flare-up that is unbearable and taking a leave from work.

Any insight would be helpful. I have to wait 2 weeks to see the doctor ...

Old 09-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #8
(female)

alida1234 HB User
Smile Re: Educators with Back Problems

Its only my opinion but if it is your first surgery....you wont be dealing with scar tissue. My first surgery 15 years ago on L5/S1 went really well but when I retired I was busy with step aerobics and zumba. It was too much for my disc to handle to I reherniated. When I had surgery in Dec 2012 the surgeon said there was so much calcification and it has taken a toll on me. Now I do work part time and try to swim and walk. Good luck to you and be sure to get a fellowship trained surgeon. Get a second opinion too...of course.....we older adults take longer to heal! Good luck!

Old 09-13-2012, 08:21 PM   #9
(female)

Alida,

Did you have the same surgery....microdiscectomy? You can see by my profile that I have lurked around this board for a long time. I know at 59...it would be a longer healing. But I've read so much about failed surgery. It sounds like you did ok though. I surely need to hear success stories. What type of surgery did you have in Dec? How long did it take you to heal?

Old 09-13-2012, 09:06 PM   #10
(female)

alida1234 HB User

My understanding is that a microdisectomy is noninvasive and requires less recovery time? I had the "regular" laminectomy and it was supposed to take about 6 weeks to recover. As I said earlier...it took about 6 months and I am still not 100%. I had nerve damage due to scar tissue.....I am working hard at staying healthy so I will not need rushing....hope this helps answer your concerns. Sorry for the mistake.....it was not rushing but fusion!!!

Old 09-13-2012, 10:12 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

workinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB User

My dad is 78 yrs old just had a microdisectomy at 2 levels. After 4 weeks completely healed just has to be smart of course and he did rest the full first 3 weeks. But he was in excellent health otherwise and physically until a sudden lifting injury. Def much easier than fusion that I went through. Good luck.
Arthritis
Herniations
Spurs

Old 09-14-2012, 12:31 AM   #12
(female)

Thank you for your reply. I'm glad you are doing ok. I rad through some of your other posts. I find reading anything I'm feeling on here, or anything positive a great help.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:36 AM   #13
(female)

Wow..that's great about your dad. It gives me hope. I haven't met with a surgeon yet....waiting to get in to see the doctor, but he was pushing me toward surgery last time. I would prefer to try injections again, but if I can't get back to pretty much normal in 12 weeks while on medical leave, my job will be gone as well as my insurance.

I read some of your other posts. I have so many of the same feelings even though my children are grown. I am single and live alone, and it's all just so scary....everything about it. I'm glad it sounds like you are recovering well. I appreciate your response.

It's 3:30 AM...and I would love to be sleeping....

Closed Thread