It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
(male)

rossamwb HB User
Pedicle Screws Problems

After 2 back surgery's 1st Dec 22 08, 2nd Jan 17 2011 today it is difficult to walk. I finally had a low back MRI which it did not show much but it was from that I had 4 injections that did not help. So my doc ordered a 3 phase bone scan which it zeroed into the pedicle screws and talks about L3-L4-L5-S1 uptake from minimal to mild to intense uptake from screws to plates I do not understand all this I just know I an in a lot of pain.

Fusion L3-S1 4 rods 8 Pedicle screws

Last edited by rossamwb; 09-14-2012 at 05:50 PM.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Pedicle Screws Problems

I don't know all that much about bone scans, and have never had one, but I understand that they are quite good at picking up problems with the pedicle screws and to confirm a non-fusion.

I'm not sure what information you are looking for. Do you know if you have fused completely? Unless the screw is not inserted properly, the main reason for a problem with the screws is due to a non-fusion or a partial fusion -- maybe one side fuses but the other side does not, for example.

It is possible for a screw to break or, more commonly, the screw becomes loose. This allows the segment to move, which in turn, causes the screw to loosen up.

Do you have the report from the bone scan? If so, perhaps you could post the exact language that was used. Uptake means that something is being absorbed into a cell, or tissue...but I am not sure what precisely this means. What has your surgeon told you?

Were both your surgeries from L3 to S1? What type of pain do you have now?

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
rossamwb (09-14-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
(male)

rossamwb HB User

Thanks for your reply
I remain in horrible pain,I can hardly walk. I went to my pain dr thursday 9/13
and the first thing he said to me as he was walking into the room telling me my back was all messed to and was going to send me back to the dr who did my back surgery to repair the rod and screws in my back and he was going to call him yesterday evening to ask if he would rather he try another injection or do the surgery first and he would call me today but I did not hear from him. I don't see how to upload my test reading?

The following user gives a hug of support to rossamwb:
workinmom572 (09-15-2012)
Old 10-19-2012, 11:44 PM   #4
(male)

rossamwb HB User

To I went to the dr who did my back surgery L5-S1 to L3-4 and thru Back bone cat scan and recent xrays and mri he told me my fusion was very good although he could see srews loose and told me that could cause pain and even though all screw do not show loose he sugested to remove all the hardware.
I will have this done in about 2 weeks like a out patient but he will keep me over nite. Praying that it remove a lott of pain I can hardly walk stand or set
I still have some SI and neck problems.

L5-S1 fusion dec 2008 2 rods 4 screws
L5-L3 fusion jan 17 2011 6 screws 2 rods
Si joint fused 3 screws 2011
C5-6 fusion 2002

Old 10-20-2012, 12:49 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User

Hi. I just read your post about the problem with the screws.

First of all, I had Harrington Rods put into my lumbar spine in 1997 and then in 2000 I went thru massive surgery on my neck.
The cervical surgery was actually done in 2 stages.The first part was putting in the Harrington Rods which took about 8 hours then the following week from the anterior they did the bone graft which was a 4 hour surgery.

Sometime after being discharged from the hospital I went to see my surgeon for a followup visit. I was still wearing a cervical collar at this point which I think I wore for about 4 months to allow the fusion and to heal properly.

From what I remember my surgeon took X-Rays and noted that some of the screws came loose. I can't remember how many I think it was more then 1 but I can't rememeber exactly. Well anyway, in my case the fact that the screws came loose in my case it really had no effect on my healing etc. So I am not sure if it is uncommon for it to happen or if it does what impact it would have on you. In my case it had no impact.

Hope you find an answer.

The Following User Says Thank You to pebblebeach3 For This Useful Post:
rossamwb (10-20-2012)
Old 10-20-2012, 10:02 AM   #6
(male)

rossamwb HB User

I have hope for the best 4 mouths out after jan 17 2011 surgery inwhich I was walking 8-9 miles a day till I got pneumonia with hard hard coughing shooting pain from upper back to my hips from that my walking all but stoped I could hardly walk to my front door and that has been like that till today after all kinds of xrays till 2 months ago.I had to go a hundred miles away to vaispine in which he ordered a cat scan bone scan also MRI to show screws backed out plus a xray they where showing the screws were striped so he explain how when I walk the rod is moving around and could cause pain.
The MRI showed that all my disc have fused

Closed Thread