It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
(female)

kristin71 HB User
Post Explanation of MRI results

I had a MRI done and the results were Anterior subluxation of L4 over L5 associated with diffuse disc bulging and small right paracentral disc herniation associated with central spinal canal stenosis. Could someone please explain this to me I would really apprecitate it. Thank you

Old 09-12-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Explanation of MRI results

Welcome to the board.

Briefly, you have a condition that has a very long name: spondylolisthesis. This just means that one vertebra is slipping over the top of the adjacent vertebra. It happens most often at the L4-L5 segment of the spine.

The disc at this level, between the L4 and L5 vertebrae, is bulging and it is pushing into the central spinal canal and causing stenosis. Stenosis is a narrowing of a pathway where the nerves are located....I like to think of stenosis as being like an old iron pipe that has become chuck full of mineral deposits and other gunk through the years until it becomes so compacted that only a small trickle of water can get through. To increase the flow someone has to use a tool and clean out all the gunk from the sides of the pipe until it is open again.

There are two areas in the spine that can get clogged like this. One is the central canal, and the other is the foraminal openings located at each vertebra. Your report does not indicate just how clogged yours is -- sometimes a report will contain words like minimal, mild, moderate or severe.

In your case, the disc herniation is bulging out and pushing into the wall of the central canal which results in less room for the spinal nerves. If it pushes in far enough, the nerves get squished and the result is pain that you probably feel running down your leg -- what we think of as "sciatic pain." It can go into your buttock, down the leg and even into the foot and toes.

You don't mention your symptoms. I assume you are in some pain or you wouldn't have had a MRI. A spondylolisthesis does not necessarily cause any problems or pain. Often people don't know they have this condition until they have some spine imaging for another purpose and it is discovered by accident.

Also there is no description of the size of the herniation...so all I can tell you is that this is what you have and the doctor will need to figure out to what extent it is causing you problems.

You can find lots of information on disc herniations, spinal stenosis and spondylolisthesis online and in books if you want to find out in more detail.
When do you go back to see the doctor?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
(female)

kristin71 HB User
Post Re: Explanation of MRI results

This MRI was done 4 years ago and I ended up having a laminotomy; tech incl laminectomy/diskectomy (spinal fusion). The diagnosis was displacement of cervical interveterbral disc without myelopathy. I have not had many problems since then until now (almost exactly 4 years later I had the surgery Sept. 15, 2008) I am having the same pain running down my right leg and into my foot and toes this time (it was the same leg before the surgery but I never had the pain in my foot like now). It really hurts to get out of a chair or bed. I don't understand why this is happening again. I am going to the doctors tomorrow and hopefully I can find out if this is happening. I am 41 years old and I don't know why I even got this to start with when people ask I say I have no idea and it is not from any trauma. I also had a xray done 4 years ago and it stated that degenerative lumbar spine with grade I anterolisthesis over L5. I guess I am just wondering if this is normal to have the same symptoms after only 4 years. Also maybe I misread but it said that arthritis is the most common cause of central spinal canal stenosis so does that mean I have arthritis on my spine? Thanks for your quick response.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:01 AM   #4
(male)

backem HB User

[QUOTE=kristin71;5054977]This MRI was done 4 years ago and I ended up having a laminotomy; tech incl laminectomy/diskectomy (spinal fusion). The diagnosis was displacement of cervical interveterbral disc without myelopathy. I have not had many problems since then until now (almost exactly 4 years later I had the surgery Sept. 15, 2008) I am having the same pain running down my right leg and into my foot and toes this time (it was the same leg before the surgery but I never had the pain in my foot like now). It really hurts to get out of a chair or bed. I don't understand why this is happening again. I am going to the doctors tomorrow and hopefully I can find out if this is happening. I am 41 years old and I don't know why I even got this to start with when people ask I say I have no idea and it is not from any trauma. I also had a xray done 4 years ago and it stated that degenerative lumbar spine with grade I anterolisthesis over L5. I guess I am just wondering if this is normal to have the same symptoms after only 4 years. Also maybe I misread but it said that arthritis is the most common cause of central spinal canal stenosis so does that mean I have arthritis on my spine? Thanks for your quick response.[/QUOTE]

As the first spine doctor I visited told me, problems like you described with your back without some kind of major fall or auto accident can sometimes be hereditary. Some people simply have bad back genes, which is the case with me and a number of people in my family. Also, you could have done something to your back when you were younger (through sports or something) and injured it, and being young it may have been sore for a few days and you just shook it off because you were in your teens or whatever and the issue got progressively worse until it manifested itself when you were in your 30's.

The Following User Says Thank You to backem For This Useful Post:
kristin71 (09-18-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 07:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

When it comes to the topic of age, we tend to think of our body beginning to show signs of aging in middle age or later. However, when it comes to the spine, the aging process begins in our 20s. The discs are composed primarily of water. They start to lose water as we age. Also with the force of gravity pushing down on these discs, through the years they lose height. Eventually most people have some arthritis in the spine.

I am confused by your second post where you say:

[B]This MRI was done 4 years ago and I ended up having a laminotomy; tech incl laminectomy/diskectomy (spinal fusion). The diagnosis was displacement of cervical interveterbral disc without myelopathy.[B]

Are we talking about your neck or lower back? At what level was your fusion done?

Old 09-18-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
(female)

kristin71 HB User

we are talking about my lower back the fusion was done on L4 and L5 in 2008. I had a good recovery after the surgery and needed no physical therapy.
I went and had and xray done on my back on 9/14/2012 and the results came back that I have arthristis in my lower back. The doctor put me on steroids and a muscle relaxer which neither one is helping. The pain that is in my leg has made it that I can barely move my right leg (the calf muscle is so tight and painful it hurts to walk on the leg) I still am waiting on what the doctor will do next (medication or therapy). Is this normal to have that much pain in lower leg with my diagnosis?

Closed Thread