It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

workinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB User
Lightbulb yes, we are all different, but how about carerers that are working well for everyone?

I know We all have different pain, diagnosis, surgeries, but I see many of us struggle with either returning to our old.careers or having to find new ones or Maybe even not be able.to.work again, so I want to try and put a.positive spin here and get replies of what yo u had done surgically, and.what work you do post op that you can tolerate, or.if you have been told.or realized that you cannot return to work at all, etc. Just curious as I'm in a similar situation. I do strongly feel when I work again one day it will have to be part time due.to my limitations, ( had double lumbar fusion) and also need a cervical one and have arthritis on entire spine, hands feet, hip, shoulder, etc. I cannot lift for a job again and cannot also sit for.8 hours straight again either, per my Dr's orders and I know my body and have abused it for.too long prior to..today. SO: share your stories please.
Arthritis
Herniations
Spurs

Old 09-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #2
(male)

danb1021 HB Userdanb1021 HB User
Re: yes, we are all different, but how about carerers that are working well for every

well in 2006 i had a dbl plif fusion at the L4-S1..i was able to go back to truck driving after about a year..and then in jan 2012 i had a L3-L4 plif FUSION and a revision to my L4-S1..the dr released me from his care at the end of august.i can work sedentary work only..im still in pain.still cant sleep a full night.and i am having no luck finding a job..all i know is trucking driving or labor work..best of luck to you..

The following user gives a hug of support to danb1021:
workinmom572 (09-12-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to danb1021 For This Useful Post:
workinmom572 (09-12-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

cheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB Usercheryl1213 HB User
Re: yes, we are all different, but how about carerers that are working well for every

I was a lawyer in my day but hated it....later did legal recruiting (for an agency....helped companies/firms find folks for lawyer openings)

A lay-off spun into the worsening back issues and left me on UE. I waited a LONG time, prob too long, to admit I wasn't able to work FT and start the SSDI process. Initial denial did say they believed I could no longer handle lawyer-dom....working on the next round of that mess...

I def still can't handle a "real" job but I do get a bit of grocery money from being a ghost-blogger. I write 6 posts a week (takes 90min on a good day....can be 5h when pain steals my brain) for law firm blogs as an independent contractor for a blogging service. Mostly take news stories or other ideas and write a 500+ word post for the firm blog to help drive search engine traffic. I can do it in bed which helps. I've still needed the boss's support a LOT...sometimes my brain just won't play and I need coverage. I think I get leeway b/c I work hard and do good work whenever I can and give as much notice as possible if I feel a flare or med issue will make it impossible for me to do a decent job.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Hi Cheryl,

Nice to see something from you. I haven't seen you on the forum in ages. I was going to ask how you are doing, but it sounds like things haven't progressed as you had hoped. Are you in any sort of treatment at this point or what are you doing regarding your spine surgery and recovery?

What does Dr. Dad think is going on and what can be done?

Last edited by teteri66; 09-14-2012 at 10:24 AM.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

workinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB User

Just not sure what will be able.to.do realistically once released. I can't return to lifting 50-100 lbs all day obviously. My old skills are sit down, medical billing, but Tom much sitting isn't good either. Should I consider part time whatever and not full time again? Not working at all will kill me of boredom. Just don't know of a perfect job where I can sit, stand, walk as needed for comfort. ???
Arthritis
Herniations
Spurs

Old 09-17-2012, 01:30 AM   #6
(female)

regretplif HB User

Depending on your average realistic pain level there are WAH opportunities available. I worked from home as long as I possibly could trying to deni that I couldn't work, I had no pain, I didn't need SSDI, etc; I also, like Cheryl had to swallow (with a HUGE glass of water) my pride and apply for SSDI. I've worked since I was 13 years old so this was a huge change for me and the biggest kicker to me was I always felt as though my kids wouldn't understand how much pain I am in and would think I am a failure if I were on SSDI!! My kids are so understanding to the point where if I drop something on the ground they will literally get upset with me if I don't ask them for their help!

I took inbound calls and my schedule was broken up and I would only work a few hours a day. I would sit, stand, walk, lay down, musical chairs it again and again I also had a ball, a kneeling chair, and a desk chair.
Try Alpine Access it is the WAH company I worked for so atleast u know they're legit...well word of mouth wise being I am not advertising them lol... Not much pay wise BUT if u can do it u at least are home so u can play musical chairs, you'll have extra money, and have something to do during the day.... That is depending on what you average overall pain is and whether or not you can handle it ; ) Also, I had a headset with a LONG cord...good ouch I hope this helps bcuz I know I sure would do it if I could....BTW one more thing they hire individuals from all different backgrounds...construction, sales, trucking...everything!!! Hope this helps good luck!!

Old 09-17-2012, 01:31 AM   #7
(female)

regretplif HB User
Wink Re: yes, we are all different, but how about carerers that are working well for every

Depending on your average realistic pain level there are WAH opportunities available. I worked from home as long as I possibly could trying to deni that I couldn't work, I had no pain, I didn't need SSDI, etc; I also, like Cheryl had to swallow (with a HUGE glass of water) my pride and apply for SSDI. I've worked since I was 13 years old so this was a huge change for me and the biggest kicker to me was I always felt as though my kids wouldn't understand how much pain I am in and would think I am a failure if I were on SSDI!! My kids are so understanding to the point where if I drop something on the ground they will literally get upset with me if I don't ask them for their help!

I took inbound calls and my schedule was broken up and I would only work a few hours a day. I would sit, stand, walk, lay down, musical chairs it again and again I also had a ball, a kneeling chair, and a desk chair.
Try Alpine Access it is the WAH company I worked for so atleast u know they're legit...well word of mouth wise being I am not advertising them lol... Not much pay wise BUT if u can do it u at least are home so u can play musical chairs, you'll have extra money, and have something to do during the day.... That is depending on what you average overall pain is and whether or not you can handle it ; ) Also, I had a headset with a LONG cord...good ouch I hope this helps bcuz I know I sure would do it if I could....BTW one more thing they hire individuals from all different backgrounds...construction, sales, trucking...everything!!! Hope this helps good luck!!

Closed Thread