It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2012, 11:23 AM   #1
(female)

Dgbella HB User
Please read.. 1 thing after next. Need input!!

Hey all!.. I need some advice. To make my long story fit in this box I will sum it up. I have idopathic scoliois that went from a 28 degree to a 33 degree in 1 year. I had a baby 20 months ago and after that my back and hips started really hurting me. Got MRI of back that said I have multi level disc degeneration in my lumbar. All my discs are bulging in lumbar but only mild echrochemnt on the thecal sac and foramen. I have a tiny disc herniation in my theracic which is only mild. HERE IS MY QUESTION.... I had a hip arthrogram bilaterally last week. I have a detached labrum in the right hip and a small tear in my left hip. However the left hip where only a small tear is seen is what hurts the most. I'm talking like 10/10 pain. It goes down my leg. All these damn doctors say my back is mild right now. Nothing to worry about. Although I need I have surgery to repair both labrums along with a femoral osteotomy, I'm still wondering if even with mild diffuse dis bulges in my lumbar if it can still cause me all this hip pain. I'm not going Roget hip surgery and then still have all this damn pain in my hips. Advice anything is appreciated.
Thanks for reading
Please reply with anything!.
Danielle.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Please read.. 1 thing after next. Need input!!

Were you told that the torn labrum would cause pain radiating down your leg?

I was under the impression that pain from the labrum was mostly localized to the joint itself -- a feeling of catching, stiffness, limited mobility and pain radiating to hip and groin.

I haven't had this issue myself, so am not speaking from experience.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
(female)

Dgbella HB User

Thank I for the response. And yes I have all that clickin stiffness an what not. I was never told that pain could radiate. However Im just trying to figure out if it's from my torn labrum or my actually bulging discs. Like I said they are mild, but could that radiate pain into hip down leg into my knees. I didn't think a torn labrum cause numbness in my feet either.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

The two most common problems that cause numbness in your feet are peripheral neuropathy and an irritated or compressed spinal nerve. I can see that the labrum problem might cause pain in the vicinity of the feet, but it would not cause your feet to be numb.

When there is degeneration of the discs in the spine, even when the problems do not appear to be severe on the MRI, there can still be a lot of pain generated. That's why a MRI is just one piece of the diagnostic puzzle. It needs to be correlated with a physical exam, basic neurologic exam and a careful medical history and careful listening of your symptoms and how it is impacting your life....

Chances are good that the pain in your left hip is coming from a lower lumbar issue -- facet joint degeneration, herniated disc, etc. Something is causing a lumbar spinal nerve to be irritated or compressed. Are you familiar with a "dermatome map?" If not, look online -- you will find several and they do vary slightly, but it is a general "roadmap" of the spinal nerves and the area of the body that each innervates. It provides a doctor with a basic spot to begin hunting for problems. If you go in and tell the doctor your big toe is numb, he/she will know to begin looking at something affecting the L4 spinal nerve.

I would think that your scoliosis probably has a part to play in this story...but I couldn't say what it is. Have you been to a fellowship-trained orthopedic spine surgery who specializes in scoliosis and spinal reconstruction?

Old 09-15-2012, 06:50 AM   #5
(female)

Dgbella HB User

Thanks again for your input. I have googles dermatome map previously. It makes sense. In just sick and tired like so many others of not knowing what these weird painful things are. Now one other thing I might mention is when I get out of bed in the am besides neon stiff like a bored throughout my body. ( I'm only 26) as soon as I put one foot on the floor it feels like I'm puttin my foot on a bunch of needles. Any insight to that. These doctors are bogus. Really don't listen. Want to " wait " until what it gets way worse and I'm crippled. It's been 20 months since I had my son. 20 months of doctors MRI's and ******** and still they say take an anti inflamatories and when I'm ready for surgery Come on in. Uhh I hate them. All!!! If they were in pain in sure as hell know they wouldn't be suffering.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dgbella For This Useful Post:
ABQpam (09-15-2012)
Old 09-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Why do you need a femoral osteotomy? I thought that was primarily done when someone couldn't have a hip replacement.

There is a poster, SweetPea on this board who has had various hip issues. I hope she sees your post and responds.

I don't know much about "real" hip problems...just "hip" pain that stems from spine issues.

Last edited by teteri66; 09-15-2012 at 09:09 AM.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:53 AM   #7
(female)

Dgbella HB User

I need a fomoral osteotomy because the hip doc said I have one femur bone in a bad position and he said if we don't do that, I will need a THR by the time I'm 40. Thanks again for all your replies. I hope she reads these questions I have too.
Thanks again though for your replies :-) hope you are doing well.

Closed Thread