It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
(male)

GregBS HB User
Upper back pain from cough... I think?

I hope this is the correct section to post in - was the closest i could fid.

About 4 weeks ago I came down with some horrible flu.. Real flu, not a cold. Was stuck in my bed unable to eat, motivate myself to get up, operate, anything really. I'd say it has been the worst illness I've experienced and I am 28 and have actually not had flu before.

With this flu came a cough, but it wasn't terrible. I started noticing pain on my right side and creeping into my upper back. The pain then spread to the opposite side and when the coughing was at its worst, it was extremely painful.

I had X-rays done and it showed that I had bronchitis , so went on anti biotics for that. Started feeling normal that week and I'd get up and do things and even tho my sides were tender I was not coughing any more and my sides were healing.

I then started coughing again, but not too badly, but the pain has jut gotten worse because I can't stop, even if it is 2 or 3 moderate or gentle coughs per hour.

It feels like I'm never going to heal. I'm walking around like a robot to not stretch or anything but come night time and it's pretty sore, even to clear my throat. It feels extremely tender under my ribs on the sides, and my upper back is now quite sore. I'm not in pain when I'm still so not taking any pain killers.

So after doing research on the net, I figured it is torn/pulled muscles. The strange thing is that I've had coughs WAY worse than this one, very violent. I also have been going to gym for 4 months and have done a lot of core strengthening/abs/upper and lower back. I've never experienced this before and it seems odd that this non-hectic cough would cause this, especially symmetrically (tho one side always seems to be worse than the other, but they alternate)

I've ruled out pleurisy and costochondritis. Done research and locations of pain don't match. And well, I also had a CT scan and X-ray and ultrasound which didn't reveal anything, so not cracked ribs either..

But ya, the strange thing as I said is I've never had this before..

Did the flu weaken my muscles and make them more susceptible to damage? Could this be some other rare condition / virus / infection / inflammation which I actually need to be treating with medication? Been on two courses of anti biotics, one during flu and another a week later when I had bronchitis.

Multiple Drs can't explain, they just say muscle strain, wait it out. Don't know what else to do. Going to confine myself to my house for a good while because I think my immune system is pretty low at the moment and the last thing I need is to catch a cold or something and start coughing a lot again.

I hope somebody has some i sight long post!

Thanks

Last edited by GregBS; 09-22-2012 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Typos

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
coughing and back pain, rib pain, upper back