It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
(male)

MikeLite HB UserMikeLite HB UserMikeLite HB UserMikeLite HB UserMikeLite HB User
3 days post op

so it's been 3 days after surgery, surgery went well, disc replacement with pro disc L. just wondering I can resume taking the dog for a longer walk, keep my restrictions for the next 10 to 14 days to little as possible. But stay active and not overdo it ,no bending lifting you're twisting. I think overall the surgery was a success the pain that I felt prior to surgery non existent , now it's just the surgical incision and probably some inflamation where they put the disc in...will keep posting on upcoming feelings and events....thank you all for help, input, and support. I too hope that I can help people with their questions in the future because I've been down the road where information is priceless.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: 3 days post op

Congrats! Did you have the surgery in Denver? They don't seem to be doing many ADRs any more...possibly due to insurance carriers.

Please err on the side of being very cautious for the first several weeks. You went through a lot to get this new disc. It isn't worth trying to rush things along just because you're feeling well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
(male)

MikeLite HB UserMikeLite HB UserMikeLite HB UserMikeLite HB UserMikeLite HB User

[QUOTE=teteri66;5060739]Congrats! Did you have the surgery in Denver? They don't seem to be doing many ADRs any more...possibly due to insurance carriers.

Please err on the side of being very cautious for the first several weeks. You went through a lot to get this new disc. It isn't worth trying to rush things along just because you're feeling well. [/QUOTE]

definitely taking it easy, as much as I can tell disc replacement very successful, I was only 24 hours and then they discharge me home

Old 09-23-2012, 02:03 PM   #4
(male)

the only other symptoms that I have after the surgery is my right hip has some sort of falling asleep pain but that could be due to inflam action...will see as the days pass by... get up every 30 minutes or o to walk around for a minute or so... keep it moving easy

Old 09-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #5
(male)

so is it rare for the insurance companies to Authorize disc replacement...might have been the lucky one....

Old 09-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Well...I'm just basing that on what I've been seeing for the past 18 months or so. Some companies seem to be denying the surgery quite routinely.

I really hope it works out for you.

Any change in the drop foot??

Last edited by teteri66; 09-23-2012 at 03:39 PM.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

workinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB User

A medium or large dog could pull and hurt you, I don't recommend it at all. Even a tiny dog might see a rabbit or bird and you could get pulled or worse yet fall. Please no dog walking yet. Rest and walk alone, you want this to.work. keep feeling well.
Arthritis
Herniations
Spurs

Old 09-24-2012, 05:56 AM   #8
(male)

the work comp company did deny the surgery once, but dr wrote a letter stating that their reason for denial makes no sense in science, in that the surgery is the last recourse that he will take....nothing changed on foot drop, but over time i can now wiggle the toes...but at least primary back pain has lessened as far as i can tell, i dont feel that deep ache in low back 24/7...only new symptom is now the right leg right buttock a deep aching pain, like right in the hip area and radiates on the lateral side to the knee and sometimes to the foot...hope it is just caused from the inflamation from the surgery and that will eventually subside...thank you for all your concern and help and will always stay on the healthboards to help others like ourselves that are new to this type of pain and can help them understand it is not the end of the world, just takes some time and work to get where you need to be...

Old 09-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

A lot of nerves and soft tissue get moved around or bumped during surgery, so we hope that's all it is for you and your new pain. Did you have sciatic pain prior to the surgery or was it mostly back pain?

I've had a 3 level fusion and never had much back pain at all! It was all in my leg, hips and groin. Ugh.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:48 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

Mike,
What level did you have the Prodisc L placed at? I thought about getting adr when my back problems first became so problematic that I needed surgery but the reports on the lumbar discs didn't pan out long term so I opted not to go that route.
I hope that you don't experience any of the problems that I have read about from them and that your recovery is everything that you hoped it would be.
Don't walk the dog until your doctor clears you for that, you don't want to take chances that you don't need to...
Back

The Following User Says Thank You to backhurtz For This Useful Post:
workinmom572 (09-24-2012)
Old 09-24-2012, 05:01 PM   #11
(male)

olsoneagle HB Userolsoneagle HB User

Mike I post here for pain following laminectomy. Happened to read yours. A little
encouragement--my son at age 38 had two new discs put in at Scripps in San Diego.
He was a missionary pilot and was so bad he laid on the floor of planes for two nine hour flights to get back here. That has been at least 7 years ago and he is doing great!!
I am haveing more problems with simple laminectomy than he had. As I recall he was in the US for about 6 weeks before he flew back. Good luck. Don't push it.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #12
(male)

I will definately take your advice and not walk the dog...when going on walks in the future my Wife will hold the dog. As too the question of whether or not having sciatica pain prior to surgery, the answer is no. October 2010 injury occurred and herniated disc 11mm, had a discectomy and laminectomy surgery six weeks later in november. At time of injury pain in the left leg was unlike anything i had to endure before. There was foot drop and permanent nerve damage in the left leg having an EMG test positively diagnosed that. Time with the drs, pt, and injections nothing helped the back pain even after the discectomy. Another MRI was done august 2011 showing reherniation of same disc L5-S1 of 4 mm... then drs tried the injections, were of no help...finally got authorized by the work comp to do disc replacement and here i am now...Pain in the low back was the ongoing problem from day one, the majority of the left leg pain was within 2 weeks of the injury...since then foot drop still present and numbness in the left foot and lower leg persists...after the disc replacement i am feeling low back pain relief greatly, however the sciatic pain that i best describe in the right leg which is new radiates deep in the buttocks and down to the knee sometimes throughout the whole leg. I am just afraid that it my end up like the left leg and have permanent nerve damage. I am hoping that it is only residual pain from the inflamation due to the disc replacement which may be the case. I feel that I made the right choice of doing the disc replacement and hope any future problems dont occur. Thank you all for your support and guidance through this whole process. Sorry about the long story...

Closed Thread