HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Back Problems (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/back-problems/)
-   -   1 yr today was my fusion.... hardware removal just scheduled :( (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/back-problems/920307-1-yr-today-my-fusion-hardware-removal-just-scheduled.html)

Cymrudenver 09-26-2012 04:23 PM

1 yr today was my fusion.... hardware removal just scheduled :(

Hello spineys!

I know, it's been a while.....

Catch up for those that haven't met me....I had a posterior fusion L4-5, L5-S1 exactly a year ago today.
I've been having continued back pain, had more pain injections, blocks, ESI's etc. Today I had diagnostic hardware blocks done to see if it's the hardware causing the pain or if further investing is needed.
Well the hardware blocks have proven as much as they can that the hardware is a significant issue. Surgery to take it out has been scheduled for Oct 23rd. I've been told 2 hrs for the surgery & that if he sees anything else in there he will fix that at the same time. In the hospital overnight.
I've not been able to work since this crazy journey began in April 2011....but I'd really like to know what to expect recovery wise from this surgery....can anyone help?

Many thanks xx

cheryl1213 09-26-2012 04:55 PM

Re: 1 yr today was my fusion....hardware removal just scheduled :(

We were active during the same time. I actually just popped back a couple weeks ago when I also got bad news....I've been bed-ridden since Feb and seems I had zero bone growth (a lovely 2% chance with BMP). Likely looking at another surgery, posterior w/ a graft and a lot more extensive hardware...but need more testing first.

So sorry to hear it hasn't been a good journey for you. I hoped that a lot of the folks I "knew" were off living full lives. I hope the removal proves the ticket for you and you get well soon. Not much to offer beyond a hug and wishes for better days to come. Actually...one thought....Have you tried Neurontin or another such drug (didn't work for me but figured worth a mention...it was one of the attempts from the Pain Mgmt folks when the tests for the blocks failed)? I think it is a more live-able answer than "regukar" pain meds (doc said it could be a lifetime med if it had worked...).

P.S. I gave in and did apply for SSDI...long process but may be worth a look...I denied that I was "there" for a long time.

Cymrudenver 09-26-2012 05:17 PM

Oh my goodness, I'm so very sorry! This is not the way things were supposed to go for you :(
I was up to 3,000mg a day of neurontin at one point - wasn't helping.....so ditched that.
Ironically my LTD company sent me all the SSDI paperwork on Monday.....not sure I'm "there" yet either lol

workinmom572 09-26-2012 09:13 PM

Hello, I am new just had same.fusion on July 17. How is.the hardware causing you pain? How.come It's taken so long to figure out? I have zero preop.pain but lots of leg and foot pain. Did you get any relief initially I hope? I'm so sorry you have to face another surgery.

gettheweightoff 09-26-2012 09:53 PM

I ha a C5-6 fusion with a titanium plate and 4 screws and have worse pain now than before while they decided it was a slightly herniated disc.
The back of my neck gets extremely hot at times, severe pain in left side and seemingly into my heart when I lie on my back (that had never been that way before an was first noticed during my first MRI after the fusion during which I thought I was dying in the machine), headaches including one that began yesterday morning at around 2am and didn't let up until about 530pm, the worst of my life! When not numbed by two 7.5 Loritabs, I have a constant feeling of tingling between my shoulder blades and this time, along with the headache, I experienced a severe stiff neck.
Ever since getting the plate, all of these things continue and yet they claimed my fusion went well.
THEN I was hit by a school bus on my motorcycle just short of a year after the fusion and KNOW that messed something up despite MRI readings between after the fusion and after the wreck showing "no changes".

I had never had back or neck problems until 37 plus after beginning to work a job that required lifting hundreds of pounds per shift and I am afraid I cannot stand this much longer.

lilac100 09-27-2012 06:35 PM

Hi,

About a year after my fusion I also had the hardware removed. I didn't stay the night. In fact I felt better leaving the hospital then I did coming in. Recovery is much faster for the hardware removal. I was back at work in 3 weeks. I won't say I'm perfect but I'm better then I expected to be. Before the removal I was starting to think about SSDI. I had decided if it didn't help I would go back on medical leave and disability. I hope it helps you as much as it helped me.

workinmom572 09-27-2012 06:46 PM

Did you also have a plate removed? Are plates problematic? I have rods and screws, no problems now at all. Stinks anyone has to have anything removed.

Cymrudenver 10-02-2012 03:11 PM

[QUOTE=workinmom572;5062669]Hello, I am new just had same.fusion on July 17. How is.the hardware causing you pain? How.come It's taken so long to figure out? I have zero preop.pain but lots of leg and foot pain. Did you get any relief initially I hope? I'm so sorry you have to face another surgery.[/QUOTE]

I've pretty much had pain since my surgery a year ago, though not always severe. My surgeon firmly believed that nothing should be done until one year out as that's when he considers you to be recovered from a surgical perspective. When the hardware blocks were done they injected directly over the screws & rods, since this completely stopped the back pain I've been having we're taking that as diagnostic proof that the hardware is causing the pain issue.
Does that answer your question? Thanks so much for your reply, hope your recovery is going well.