It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012, 12:23 AM   #1
(male)

Crc23 HB User
Post surgery L 5 S1 calf and foot pain.

Hi there
I had surgery 8 days ago for a badly herniated disc (microdiscetomy)
I know the recovery can take its time however hong long did it take for the pain to go away.

I can't stand or walk for longer than 15 mins without the pain becoming unbearable.i also have developed a limp ididn't have before.

Anyone shed some light on this and your recovery from pain post surgery

Thanks
Chris

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Crc23
Phoenix (09-27-2012), workinmom572 (09-29-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Crc23 For This Useful Post:
Phoenix (09-29-2012)
Old 09-27-2012, 03:48 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: Post surgery L 5 S1 calf and foot pain.

[QUOTE=Crc23;5062715]Hi there
I had surgery 8 days ago for a badly herniated disc (microdiscetomy)
I know the recovery can take its time however hong long did it take for the pain to go away.

I can't stand or walk for longer than 15 mins without the pain becoming unbearable.i also have developed a limp ididn't have before.

Anyone shed some light on this and your recovery from pain post surgery

Thanks
Chris[/QUOTE]

Hello Chris,

When I had my lumbar fusion (2006) of the L5-S1 region,the recovery time took a while.The doctor ordered home therapy for a month or so,until I was able to be a little mobile.
I started with a walker and in time,was able to store it away.

This is but the beginning of my plight;I pray it is somewhat useful.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2012, 03:49 AM   #3
(female)

melanie888 HB User

Hi Chris
I have had 2 discectomy surgeries this year, the last one on 24 June. I think the time frame to heal depends on a number of factors. My advise to you would be take things easy and dont be in too much of a rush to get back into heavy exercise or lifting etc.
For the first 3-4 weeks after surgery I was still fairly sore and had some pain still in my leg, it started to settle after this time. If your symptoms are worse now than before surgery such as the limp you now have, I would check this with Dr and get another opinion if you are not happy with the general response of "give it time". I was really good after my first surgery until about 10-12 weeks after surgery when I started having server pain, numbness and leg weakness, my GP said it was normal and give it time. The pain kept getting worse until I could function as I was in so much pain. I ended up in emergency for the 2nd surgery. Listen to your body, take things slow and keep see your Dr if things seem wrong. You should be getting better not worse.
Good luck and I hope it does just settle down with rest.
Melanie

The following user gives a hug of support to melanie888:
Phoenix (09-28-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to melanie888 For This Useful Post:
Crc23 (09-28-2012)
Old 09-28-2012, 09:05 AM   #4
(male)

BackProbGuy28 HB User

I had a L5-S1 microdisectomy 11-1-11, i was sore for 3-4 weeks with alot of discomfort in the surgical area. I came out with more leg weakness and numbness. The doc kept telling me give it more time after every visit for 5 months. I am still in pain now and have found out that i have reherniated my disc/ scare tissue. Everyone heals differently. Dont try to do to much to early. Good luck to u!!!

The following user gives a hug of support to BackProbGuy28:
Phoenix (09-28-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to BackProbGuy28 For This Useful Post:
Phoenix (09-29-2012)
Old 09-28-2012, 04:27 PM   #5
(male)

Crc23 HB User
Smile Re: Post surgery L 5 S1 calf and foot pain.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I spoke with my surgeon yesterday and he pretty much said its only early days (10 days post op) however he did mention that the nerve was very pinned and the hernition was protruding 10mm which hevsaid is quite servere...so he said the nerve had been very aggravated.
He also mentioned that he took the herniation away as well as a lot of ligament fragment that was on the other side of the nerve which was also placing pressure on the nerve.so nerve would be very upset from all the movement during the procedure.hence the leg pain I'm experiencing.

One thing he did mention was that he was very conservative when it came shaving the actualmdisc itself once the herniated material was taken away.

He mentioned that because I am a large guy 6ft 4 &105kg he wanted to keep as much disc in place to potentially assist recovery and lessen the chance of re herniation.

Fingers crossed the pain will start subsiding.

The following user gives a hug of support to Crc23:
Phoenix (09-28-2012)
Old 09-29-2012, 10:04 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

workinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB User

Hi. I'm 10 weeks post double.lumbar fusion. I felt really good at apx week 6 for first time. I was in hospital 10.days, and had in home Therapy 5 days a week for first month. Now I can drive and go.to outpatient Therapy .3 times a week. I pitched my walker weeks ago and use a can. Yes, nerves get very irritated. I have traded back pain for nerve pain in my leg and foot and foot numbness. J have started nerve medication, Gabapentin/ Nuerontin. It is a slow healing process like They said. I am still recovering until at least January of 2013. No working, no house chores. Hang in there. You are very early.
Arthritis
Herniations
Spurs

The following user gives a hug of support to workinmom572:
Phoenix (09-29-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to workinmom572 For This Useful Post:
Phoenix (09-29-2012)
Old 10-17-2012, 08:05 PM   #7
(male)

Crc23 HB User

Just a quick update.

So at the 3weeks post op the pain in my calf felt surprisingly better however I got really bad pains in the side of my rib cage strange I know!!
The pain became so bad that I had to call an ambulance I felt I was having a heart attack.

Once at the ER and after hours of confusion with my symptoms they ordered I have a chest scan complete with the die contrast injection.

They found that I had a blood clot in each lung and they admitted me instantly for treatment. I spent the last week in hospital and I'm now on injections twice a day and also on the warfarin program.

In short the pain in my calf was a blood clot and it broke down and ended up in my lungss.

My surgeon and all the doctors I have seen are totally shocked and say that this is extremely rare???

Not sure if anyone has any similar stories butbinhas scared the pants off me and there is no way I would ever have another procedure done with running some blood thinners to prevent this.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Crc23
Phoenix (10-18-2012), workinmom572 (10-17-2012)
Old 10-17-2012, 10:15 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

workinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB User

Omg how aweful! So glad you trusted your instinct and called that ambulance!! Are you feeling better yet?
Arthritis
Herniations
Spurs

Old 10-18-2012, 03:28 AM   #9
(female)

Calin HB UserCalin HB UserCalin HB User

Agree....so important to listen to your body. A friend of mine said that to me a few days ago. Also...a good reminder that calf pain is not always from sciatica. Hope you are recovering and doing ok.

Closed Thread