It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
(female)

libertyhuo HB User
Exercise to help fusion?

Hi
I had a L5-S1 fusion done 22/9/12. Still in agony as I can't sit or stand walk for long.

Just wondering if there is any recommended exercise to help with fusion?
And is it true that it's better to stand or walk around rather than sitting down?

Thanks for any suggestions or opinions.

The following user gives a hug of support to libertyhuo:
workinmom572 (09-30-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2012, 01:11 PM   #2
(female)

micha444 HB User
Re: Exercise to help fusion?

Walking is the best thing to do. A few days after my surgery all I could do was walk back and forth down the hall of my apartment but I made sure to keep moving. A year later I walk everyday. If I miss a day I feel super stiff but once I get the blood pumping and walk the difference is amazing. Try limiting sitting for more than 20 minutes especially in the next months. Hang in there it will get better. Michelle

The Following User Says Thank You to micha444 For This Useful Post:
libertyhuo (09-30-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2012, 06:07 PM   #3
(female)

libertyhuo HB User

Micha444: thank you for your reply. Do you feel pain on your back when you walk at first? I feel pain on my back every time I walk and pain also after 10-20 sitting. Do yo have that? I am looking for answers........ And wonder if there is anything I could do to make myself better.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

The most important thing to remember is that it takes a long time to recover from spinal fusion. You are talking about months, not weeks, and it takes a good year for the new bone to set up and grow strong and hard.

The best thing you can do right now is to take many short walks each day. This primary purpose for this is to keep the spinal nerves stretched out. This helps to prevent scar tissue from attaching as it forms and fills in. It is much better to take frequent, short walks than one long walk...for a variety of reasons. It is important to not get too tired. It is important that you not aggravate the sciatic nerve from too much activity or improper activity.

There is nothing you can do to hurry along the healing process. The cells will grow in at their own speed and no amount of exercise or food or anything else is going to hurry this process. You can keep it from happening though by not resting sufficiently, by smoking, by not eating proper nutrients, etc.

Regarding sitting: you should not sit for more than about 15-20 minutes at the beginning. Sitting puts 30% more stress on the discs than standing or lying down. Even later in recovery when you can sit for a longer period, it is important to get up and walk around about every hour or so.

Try to spend your time walking, lying down or reclining with your back well-supported with a variety of pillows propping you up in appropriate places.

You may not start to feel better for several weeks -- it really varies a lot. I was almost comatose for the first eight weeks with my first fusion. With a subsequent 3 level revision, I felt great by the 12th day...so there really is no rhyme or reason to the process from what I can tell.

Just learn to be patient and take each day as it comes.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
libertyhuo (09-30-2012)
Closed Thread