It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
(female)

stoney932 HB User
Synovial Cyst

Hi All

My husband has a synovial cyst between his 4/5 vertebrae and has to have surgery to have it removed. Has anyone had this surgery? Can you tell us about your experience? How long recovery time? How bad is the pain and so forth. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 09-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Synovial Cyst

What type of surgery is your husband having? They are going to surgically remove the cyst rather than drain it? Is he having anything else done to his disc at the same time?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2012, 03:36 AM   #3
(female)

stoney932 HB User

They are going to go in and remove the cyst. Said to drain it would just be a short term fix as it would just come back. Told him he didnt need anything else done besides taking out the cyst. He has had 2 epidural shots but the first only lasted 2 weeks; the second one is helping some, but he still has a lot of pain.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Is he staying overnight in the hospital?

I know some people who had cysts removed but there were other issues as well so I guess I can't give you any relevant information on the timing involved with healing.

Do you know if this will be an open surgery or can it be done using minimally invasive techniques? If the latter, your husband's recovery shouldn't be too long -- probably just a couple weeks at most.

Synovial cysts usually form as a result of some osteoarthritis at the facet joint. If the facet joint problem continues, there is a likelihood that the cyst will form again at some point in the future.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:24 AM   #5
(female)

stoney932 HB User

Update: Husband is tentivley scheduled for back surgery on Friday, November 9th. Usually done as an outpatient surgery but he has heart issues so they said they would probably keep him for a day. It is all tentative because I have to have a large stone surgically removed and dont see the dr until next Tuesday. Will depend on when they can do my surgery. I figure it took me 2 months just to get in to see the dr so probably at least 6 weeks before surgery. In which case that should work out since they told husband that it would be 6 week recovery for him. Teteri66 - I don't know how invasive this surgery is. They said it would be a small incision and they would take the cyst and "clean out" the area. He does have arthritis in his back but they didnt feel they would have to fuse anything.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:36 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

You should check more into it. Consult other doctors/surgeons.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:49 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

hi, I had one removed several years ago in the thorasic area but it was kind of to the side of the spine. I guess mine wasn't bothering the spine at all. He took out the entire gland associated w/ the cyst as this is supposed to keep it from coming back. It probably took me a week to recover and it wasn't that bad. I do now kind of have a dent in the area it was in. and it shows when I wear tops that have a lower cut in the back. Cathy

Old 10-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #8
(female)

stoney932 HB User

thanks Cathy for the info. I hope my husband heals as quickly as you. His dr says 4-6 weeks. Only time will tell right? I do appreciate you telling me about your procedure. Hope you never get another cyst

Old 10-03-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

A synovial cyst is not connected to a gland...it is usually a bi-product of arthritic changes in the facet joint... it is a fluid-filled sac that develops as a result of degeneration in the spine... so it isn't really a matter of going in and removing all of it...This is one reason why spinal synovial cysts are difficult to manage.

A small sac forms and it fills with fluid -- sometimes they just try to aspirate it, but it almost always refills. Removing it is the way to go. Hopefully, it will turn out to be the pain generator and not the arthritis itself.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
stoney932 (10-04-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 10:58 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

[QUOTE=teteri66;5066718]A synovial cyst is not connected to a gland...it is usually a bi-product of arthritic changes in the facet joint... it is a fluid-filled sac that develops as a result of degeneration in the spine... so it isn't really a matter of going in and removing all of it...This is one reason why spinal synovial cysts are difficult to manage.

A small sac forms and it fills with fluid -- sometimes they just try to aspirate it, but it almost always refills. Removing it is the way to go. Hopefully, it will turn out to be the pain generator and not the arthritis itself.[/QUOTE]

well I know that mine was not connected to the spine it was to the right side of the spine about an inch away. and I know they took out the whole thing so that it coudln't come back. Aspiration was not a choice because they said it would come back unless they removed the whole thin g.

Closed Thread