It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
(female)

caitlinmichele HB User
Thumbs down pain medication suggestion??

Hey!
I have spondylosis and I go to a pain clinic for injection treatments.
I take vicodin 750 and tramadol but I need to switch it soon
I keep getting sick from the vicodin, my stomach hurts and I puke when I eat food., It only lasts about 3 hours once my pills kick in but im sick and tired of being sick and tired. I am thinking of asking my doc to switch my meds to some other opiate pain killer but I dont want to feel that same sickness off of another pill? Can someone who also had this problem give me suggestions? I have already taken norco, vicodin 1000 mg and 500 mg. I take the 750 mg.

Help please!

Old 10-01-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: pain medication suggestion??

You may want to try a slightly different tactic that does not include opioid drugs since they are hard to your stomach, and do not necessarily help that much with the pain. Are you taking an anti-inflammatory? I find Celebrex to be helpful.

Certain antidepressants are helpful in treating chronic back pain. Medications that are tricyclic antidepressants, like Elavil are often used for back and neck pain. Also Cymbalta has been proven to improve chronic back pain...and is approved by the FDA for this purpose.

I find a far infra-red heating pad to be invaluable....this penetrates further into the tissue than a normal heating pad.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

Hi there..

Just FYI but the number you are mentioning is the amount of Acetaminophen in the pill. What is the opiate (Hydrocodone) number that is first? Is it 5, 7.5, or 10?

The FDA actually passed new requirements for manufacturers using Acetaminophen in pills to reduce them to 325. So you must be using a Pharmacy that still has leftover meds that have the larger amount of Acetaminophen. The reason they did this was that people were getting liver damage with too much Acetaminophen as they would also take a cold medication or have alcohol, and not pay attention to their daily allotment.

Anyway...I was on Percocet (Oxycodone and Acetaminophen( awhile back for a few years. It was the 7.5/325 dosage. And out of the blue I started getting a lot of stomach issues.

It turned out that my body just could not handle the daily dosages of Acetaminophen. I was switched to OxyIR which is plain Oxycodone...This literally took care of my issues within a week.

I don't see you mention any type of nerve pain. An opiate is not the best med for this type of pain. Nerve pain meds are Lyrica, Neurontin, or Cymbalta. I would be asking your Dr. about trying one of these to help lessen your pain.

Keep in mind that chronic pain management is a lot more than just taking medications...there are dozens of modalities to help lessen our pain to a manageable level.

Good luck..

Old 10-03-2012, 11:30 PM   #4
(male)

PMADrew09 HB User

well they have just found out recently that opioids are useful for nerve pain but the doses have to be a bit higher than those who only have nociceptive pain... but your standard anticonvulsants are good tooo. although for me neurontin does absolutely nothing.

as far as narcotics are concerned when taking them on a long term basis it is best to work with extend release. they have no acetaminophen in them and provide you with stable set of medicine throughout the course of the day so your pain is not on a rollar coaster ride. now for break through pain short acting opioids (vicodin etc) are good at knocking that spike pain level down... good luck to you!

Old 10-04-2012, 01:04 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

workinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB User

Years ago I used a patch called fentynl along with orals I can't Remember.
Arthritis
Herniations
Spurs

Closed Thread

Tags
back, opiate, pain, spine, vicodin