It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
(female)

omc1234 HB User
advice please

I had a laminectomy plus microdisectomy L4-L5 in May of this year. Doc told me six weeks i would be back to doing everything as before. Made me very happy as i had suffered the crooked back as well as severe radiculopathy for seven months. Surgery overall went well. From what i read one should walk as much as possible which i did in short spurts. My question is now that i am 5 months post op when i walk outside (side walk and roads) even as little as 15-20 minutes the sciatica kicks in. When i'm in the house doing regular housework it doesn't so much bother me. Should i continue to walk with sciatica or am i irritating the nerve more?

Thanks so much.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
Re: advice please

Dear OMC,

this is a good question. They all say one thing: if you in pain, your body tells you something. You will know when it's a good time for you to push, when it's a good time for you to do what you need.
But since you experiencing pain, take it easy. Stop walking after you feel uncomfortable.
If your sciatica bothers you, it means full healing is on a way, but not done yet. Even though your surgery wasn't a fusion, any spinal surgery takes very long time to heal. All of us different, no one answer to all. Some people report they walk 2 miles 4 weeks after fusion, I couldn't walk at all. So you just have to listen to your body and enjoy what you can do, not worrying what you can't do yet.

Best wishes on your recovery.
Moldova

The Following User Says Thank You to Moldova For This Useful Post:
omc1234 (10-03-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: advice please

Usually it is the housework that irritates the sciatic nerve much more than walking. It may be that your structural alignment and muscle strength is only strong enough to support you for the 15-20 minutes and anything beyond that stretches your tolerance.

Your doctor was giving you the very best case scenario when he told you you would be back to doing all your old activities in six weeks time. Very few people ever live up to that prediction. In any case, it is important to try to minimize any nerve flare as much as possible. If that means backing off any activity, then that's what you should do until the pain goes away. Then start up much more slowly so the pain does not develop again.

If the nerve keeps becoming irritated, the nerve itself can end up becoming scarred.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
omc1234 (10-03-2012)
Closed Thread