It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

workinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB User
furniture after fusion?

Based on a discussion with my Therapist today, realized why I have difficulty walking after sitting at home: our furniture is too soft, non- supportive, ugh. I can't afford furniture now, so I just watched a 2 hour movie sitting on a dining room table chair. Halfway through I had to add a cushion for my butt, and I had a pillow for my back. He said I should not lay on my couch as It's worn and too soft. Said I'd be better on cushions on floor, ugh, my couch is all one piece! So I.have nowhere to lay but my bed in the bedroom now. Ugh. Anyone have good ideas for while I cannot buy new and firmer furniture? Do you think a new, fully blown air mattress would be on to lay on? I will ask him but don't see him until Monday.
Arthritis
Herniations
Spurs

Old 10-06-2012, 02:05 AM   #2
(male)

NomoreDisc HB User
Re: furniture after fusion?

I have not had my fusion done yet but with the pain that I'm having, I could not get the Sleep Number Bed to help me. If you don't know? it is an air mattress to. The memory foam bed works alot better for me.
I hope you find something that works for you.
Good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to NomoreDisc For This Useful Post:
workinmom572 (10-06-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2012, 07:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

There is a product online called "BackJoy" that I, and many people I have recommended it to, have found helpful. It doesn't look like it would be useful because it is not a cushion, but what it does is transform almost any seat into something that holds the buttocks and sit bones in the appropriate position so the spine lines up correctly. It is lightweight and portable so you can take it anywhere. I keep one in my car so I always have it for eating out, going to movies or theatre, etc., and have one for the house.

Do you have an old mattress that you could put on the floor in the living room and then use pillows or a big wedge to get your back at the appropriate angle. I don't think an air mattress will provide enough support.

Sitting on the right size exercise ball is also good, but you can't use one until the core and back muscles are strong enough to well support you. Otherwise the instability of it can be dangerous until you are fused.

Oh, ask your therapist about a zero-gravity chair. They come at all price points. Some of the zero-gravity lawn chaises are actually designed very well and can be used by spine surgery patients. You could put one of those in your living room.

Ask your PT about a recliner. There is much controversy surrounding this topic. My surgeon and PT would not allow me to use one...but some think they are fine....If yours agrees, you can find them used on some of those lists.

One reason upholstered furniture is harmful is because it doesn't give the sit bones a firm enough foundation so that you can properly align your spine when you sit or recline. If you get a Backjoy you can place it on the seat cushion and it may make your current furniture adequate....I think they sell for around 40 dollars.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2012, 10:31 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

I had my share fair of stuggling after my fusions and can tell you what helps me.
1. Buy at your local Back Support store a "doughnut" cushion under your behind; I can't imagine me going anywhere without this pillow. Not expensive at all.
2. My mattress was very firm and it bothered me after surgery. I bought inexpensive foam, (pretty thick) and put it over my mattress. Now it firm and soft same time. Really Great!
3. Make sure chair you sit on, has straight back. No others are good for you, brings more pain. Put a nice pillow behind your back and you will be much more comfortable. We went on vacation once and they had very luxurious chairs in dinning room, but the backs of the chairs were not straight. I had to go back to my room in the middle of delicious dinner, but I had no choice: pain. Since than I always used my wheel chair with straight back and the pillow and never had to miss my dinner since.
4. My couch in the family room is too soft. It was nice before the surgery, but after- it was my worse enemy. My husband got at Home Depot a piece of Formica(light wood). He put it on 1/2 half of the couch (you don't need it for your legs), with a piece of thick foam on top, put a nice cover over it and I got myself a very nice and comfortable place to spend my day on. Not only it comfortable, it much easier to get up when I need, it high enough to help me with it. Only few layers of inexpensive stuff and it makes a big difference for you.
5. Make sure you buy yourself (my insurance paid for it fully)a shower chair, this is very important and much safer than without it.

When we have such problems, comfort is the key, otherwise pain will make our lives miserable, why suffer? You have to be creative and you don't need to spend much money on it.

Hope this helps a little
Moldova

The Following User Says Thank You to Moldova For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

workinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB User

I have been meaning to ask you about backjoy on a soft piece of furniture. I want to show it to my PT on my phone Monday. I could only afford 1 but it looks interesting. Right now I sometimes sit on a lumbar cushion: it has a cut out for the tailbone, and an opening like a donut cushion but It's more.of.a.wedge shape. When I drive I have a round cushion that has ball bearings in it that rotates 360 so J can get into my truck sideways to keep my hips and shoulders in line and I just rotate keeping them inline to get in. I honestly don't know how anyone gets into a vehicle without one of these post op.
Arthritis
Herniations
Spurs

Old 10-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Thanks for replying. Good point. Bummer you paid for a.sleep number and can't use it. Even on firmest setting? We just bought a new mattress a week before my surgery as We had a 23 yr old sunken in mattress. We got a nice firm with a slight pillow top. It's amazing! I don't wake up with severe hip pain from it like the old.one. I sleep now 10 hours average a night and I used to never be able to sleep. I still put a pillow between my knees when on my side or a foam wedge under my knees when on my back. ( got nice foam wedge from hospital).
Arthritis
Herniations
Spurs

Old 10-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Thanks for replying. I have a shower chair, love it! Should I keep using raised toilet seat at 3 months post op as I feel really good and am.thinking I don't need it. I am finding it a huge issue when I go anywhere. I find myself worried about sitting and often don't. I stand and walk for my sons football games as I honestly can't see myself sitting on bleachers ever again. Those folding camp chairs are way too slacky to sit In also so I have no way to sit there. I take a pillow to church and sit on a nice folding chair. Can't fathom sitting in a pew ever either, that bothers me a lot. I can't afford ANY new furniture as We are Trying to survive without my income and It's impossible. I keep looking for free items on Craig's list. I used to have a zero gravity chair, it rusted out and fell apart. Thanks for.mentioning it. I WILL ask my Therapist all of.this on Monday. Maybe I should buy a folding chair to take everywhere with me? Ugh, tomorrow will.be an hour plus car ride,.longest I've done yet, so.worried about that, then, when we arrive at the picnic how/ where I will sit and I'm really concerned. I WILL take my cushion to sit on and a pillow for my back but I still have no idea, maybe I should call the family hosting it to mention this as They do not know I had back surgery.
Arthritis
Herniations
Spurs

Old 10-10-2012, 12:20 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

I'm so happy! I got a glider chair with gliding ottoman from a local lady off of Craigslist for $50.00 and it sells for $199.00!! It's the type for new moms to rock their baby. It locks into an upright position, or 4 others as well. It can be stationary or glide ( so different from rocking!) And It's nice firm and solid wood with almost a memory foam.type cushion all over it. The replacement cushion is $104.00 alone. The seat is nice and feels like made just for me with my long legs it fits perfectly! My back is so very happy.
Arthritis
Herniations
Spurs

Closed Thread