It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

workinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB User
shoes post back surgery-even a small heal ever again?

I've never been one for high heels due to my back but now after fusion can I wear any type of heal or must everything be flat now? Like my fall boots or winter boots have maybe a one inch thick heal. Or must I find and buy flat bottom winter boots? I can't wear tennis shoes here in the winter as too much snow and slush and my feet will get soaked, not to mention I want excellent walking traction. Thanks. Oh, and how long till It's safe if I can wear a small chunky heal? I'll be 12 weeks post op.double.fusion this coming Tuesday, with no real back pain, but lots of feet and calf pain esp am and pm. Thanks in advance for any replies.
Arthritis
Herniations
Spurs

Old 10-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: shoes post back surgery-even a small heal ever again?

I don't know what a surgeon would tell you, but I would think you should wait on the heels until your fusion is better set up. It is similar to walking on an incline, which is to be avoided, probably till about 6 months....the incline or the height of the heel changes the structural alignment of the spine, sometimes causing the pelvis to tip slightly....

You can find lots of boots that have a sole similar to an athletic shoe...ie., it isn't entirely flat, but has a "heel" height that is less than 1 inch in height.

Also, be careful to avoid anything with a negative heel height like the Earth brand, or those newer athletic shoes that are supposed to be great for the back and help you lose weight -- they may be OK for some people, but are awful for those of us who already have lumbar problems.

The very best advice I can give you is to err on the side of caution -- you won't hurt yourself by waiting longer than "necessary" but you can cause nerve flares, etc. by trying to force your body into doing something too early.

I am 28 months post fusion and I immediately notice a change in any heel height -- even just when I wear different flat shoes -- an eighth of an inch seems to matter to my back!

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
workinmom572 (10-06-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

workinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB Userworkinmom572 HB User

Thank you very much. I try not keep calling or asking my drs these questions too often so.this.helps get me buy until.I see him. I basically always wear a walking tennis shoe. I already have enough nerve pain and flare ups, so I def do not want to irritate those nerves anymore. Have you tried any incomes like Dr sholls to help.with shock.absorption in any of your shoes? Thank God I've never been a heal girl. I'm 5'10" so I always avoid anything over an inch anyway. Thanks again.
Arthritis
Herniations
Spurs

Old 10-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I'm tall too so "giving up" heels was not heartbreaking for me!!

I have had custom orthotics for a number of years. I have been advised to wear them all the time, even around the house when I would otherwise have been bare-foot.

Closed Thread