It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #16
(male)

Strike554 HB UserStrike554 HB User
Re: Pain after Microdisectomy? Any help appreciated!

Teter,
You know how my pain started after golf. Its been goin on for almost ten months. Is there still a chance it can heal?

Old 10-16-2012, 06:59 AM   #17
(male)

Cfrost7 HB User

Striker,

Thanks for the response to my questions. Of course everyone's case will be unique, but at least it gives me a good idea since I feel like we were in similar condition prior to the injury and seem to have suffered from the same situation. I think I will stay away from golf for sometime based on your experience with it. I still want to get back into some cardio soon, since my injury I have gained ~15 pounds likely from inactivity.

Over the last week my pain seems to have changed, the moderate pain I was experiencing in the left buttock/upper thigh has lessened , but now I but now I seem to have a low level aching/tingling pain in my back of my thigh and calf. I still fear something is touching my sciatic nerve again, whether it be disc material, swelling, scar tissue, etc.

I guess I will just have to continue PT, I am aware that my nerve was compressed to at least some degree for likely 6 - 8 months so its going to take awhile for the healing to take place.

The following user gives a hug of support to Cfrost7:
gmak (10-16-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2012, 08:26 AM   #18
(male)

Strike554 HB UserStrike554 HB User

CFrost,

From what I remember my nerve pain after surgery was 100% gone after 2 days.

My back was always sore though, I think that was one of two things. 1. my back was weak bc for some reason my surgeon thought I was healthy and young enough to not need PT (he just advised home exercies). 2. The nerve pain was gone so my brain had something else to focus on.

In your case it may just be swelling. I highly doubt there is anything wrong with your disc. Unless you lifted something really heavy or twisted right after surgery I think you are fine.

My biggest problem with my whole situation is anxiety and depression. I have always been a high strung person since I was a kid and this whole back/nerve pain thing has really got me down at times. I try to look on the bright side though and think how much worse it could be.

You should have a few fu appts after your surgery. I would just ask the doc what he thinks. He may just give you oral steroids. Are you taking advil?

Also, I have a question for you? Did you have have an epidural steroid injection? And did it help? I am contemplating having one. Thanks

Old 10-22-2012, 02:41 PM   #19
(male)

Cfrost7 HB User

[QUOTE=Strike554;5073172]CFrost,

From what I remember my nerve pain after surgery was 100% gone after 2 days.

My back was always sore though, I think that was one of two things. 1. my back was weak bc for some reason my surgeon thought I was healthy and young enough to not need PT (he just advised home exercies). 2. The nerve pain was gone so my brain had something else to focus on.

In your case it may just be swelling. I highly doubt there is anything wrong with your disc. Unless you lifted something really heavy or twisted right after surgery I think you are fine.

My biggest problem with my whole situation is anxiety and depression. I have always been a high strung person since I was a kid and this whole back/nerve pain thing has really got me down at times. I try to look on the bright side though and think how much worse it could be.

You should have a few fu appts after your surgery. I would just ask the doc what he thinks. He may just give you oral steroids. Are you taking advil?

Also, I have a question for you? Did you have have an epidural steroid injection? And did it help? I am contemplating having one. Thanks[/QUOTE]

Striker, sorry for my late reply, I had the unfortunate pleasure of dealing with the flu last week.

I am doing physical therapy now, I think I have a week or two left until it is just home exercises.

I have my second follow up appt on the 29th, so I will see what their opinion is. I was given prescription strength ibprofin (600 mg) to take 3 times a day. I will start taking that tomorrow, didn't want to start that until the flu was gone. I talked to doctor's PA on the phone last week, and she believes it is swelling as well and that the ibprofin should stop that if not I may nee to try a steroid.

Regarding epidural injections, I had two. The first one 2 months after my injury and it seemed to help. I had another injection 6 weeks later and it did nothing at all. So I decided after the 2nd injection didn't work not to bother and start looking at surgery options. Looking back at it though, ruptured disc material was hitting my sciatic nerve, the injection itself was not going to change that, so it was almost set up to fail. If it has just been swelling, then I think injection would have had a much better chance at working.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #20
(male)

Cfrost7 HB User

Gmak thanks for your support!

So after another follow-up visit, the plan is to continue to take Ibprofin. I was advised inflammation and nerve healing are the likely sources of the minor pain I am still experiencing in the lower left buttocks/upper back of my thigh. I have started physical therapy (should have started sooner but an issue with my insurance delayed things), certain exercises seem to trigger pain in that region but it quickly goes away as soon as the exercise is over.

I have a concern about scar tissue, can scar tissue post surgery create pain? If so, how is it treated? I should have asked this during my most recent follow-up but forgot to.

My goal is to be able to swim and do light cardio to get me back to being active. My physical therapist things I can start to do so in a few weeks.

I think the worst part of post-surgery is just not knowing what to expect, what is normal, etc.

Thanks again to everyone that has helped me and given me advice in this thread. It is very much appreciated!

Closed Thread

Tags
low back pain, microdisectomy, sciatic post op pain, sciatica, surgery