It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
(female)

angmerca1 HB User
herniated disc L5 S1

Hi to all;
Im a 41 year old woman very active person work out, hard working person and normal social life . 2 Weeks ago was diagnostic herniated disc L5 S. I had lot of pain in my left leg all down to my toes getting numbness. I get very bad when I stay more than 5 hrs standing, Im working and a retail store as a Assistant store Manager all day walking, standing and bringing out merchandise. My Orthopedic doctor recommend surgery and he send me for physical theraphy I just when for my second day and it make fill better. But I basically been out from work in and out one week and half. My pain go away when Im seating and had very small discomfort when I sleeping. My therapist recommended sleep to my side and It work. Im very frustrated because my social life it getting push to the side. I basically go to work and come to home just to relax . And waiting for next day to come. Before I posted my info I'm reads a lot of other people to go with same problems. I just want to know if I should go for surgery? and if I don't with the years I will damage my nerve ?? I going back to my doctor in two week for surgery decicion need advice!

Old 10-07-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
(male)

Cfrost7 HB User
Re: herniated disc L5 S1

I can tell you my experience with a L5/S1 disc herniation. I pretty much tried chiropractic care, PT and epidural injections after the injury, but nothing every worked well. And after a few months of that conservative treatment, the pain got worse. So finally I went to a neurosurgeon, had an MRI and went through with the mircodisctomey a few weeks ago. I had immediate pain relief after the surgery. Some pain has gradually returned, but it is about 1/5th the level prior to the surgery. I was super active prior to the injury and the goal is to get back to that way of life. But its been difficult for certain. I am hoping what I am experiencing now is just part of the healing process.

I tried to avoid surgery, unfortunately nothing was working and if I could do this all again I would have gotten this done much earlier. The jury is still out on whether it was completely successful, but right now I feel much better compared to the pain/suffering I dealt with all summer long

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2012, 05:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Since we don't know the size of the herniation and since we don't know how it is impacting the nerve, it is difficult to say how successful conservative treatments might be. It is a bit unusual for a doctor to recommend surgery without trying conservative measures...and you indicate that the few things you have tried are easing your pain. If you gave more time to non-surgical treatment, you might very well allow the disc to heal on its own, which would be preferable.

One thing I want to caution you about is the impression that having surgery will be a quicker way to get your pre-herniation life back. Sometimes doctors make it sound easier than it is. Even the simplest micro surgery is not a quick fix. Once you have back surgery, your back will never be the same.

Also, it is important to get more than one opinion when contemplating any type of surgery. Unless you have sudden muscle weakness, like a drop foot, or lose control of bowel or bladder function, there is no reason to rush into spine surgery.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
angmerca1 (10-12-2012)
Old 10-08-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
(male)

Boopie1963 HB User

Cfrost7

I'm right there with you but now only waiting on the consultation with the surgeon tried all other forms of treatment with no results

In fact it's lunch time and I'm now lying down in the backseat of my car to try to get my back to relax for the 2nd half of the day then I have to make the 55 mile commute home

I wish I had gone for the surgery first instead of wasting the summer being nothing more than a lump on a log

It's a matter of personal preference as to what you do but at least if you try the conservative rout you know you did all you could but to watch the children and not be able to do anything is hard

It's your decision

Old 10-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #5
(female)

angmerca1 HB User

Hi!!!
Thank you to take the time and wrote to me!! I still waiting to see the doctor. I been in physical therapy as I said before. I also taking MSM suplement was been very helpfull for the pain. I been also so far a week out from work and fill much better. Im hopping to get over with out go to surgery. The only think that I still have is the numbness on the toes and I still limping. But of course I be resting a lot. I keep my hopes and I wish the best to you!

Old 10-15-2012, 07:21 PM   #6
(male)

Boopie1963 HB User

I just got back from a consultation with the surgeon looks like the herniation is 12-15MM with nerve impingement I'm sceduled for surgery on 11/1 for a microdisecamy

Hope this will be the end on my pain I can't live like this that's for sure

Old 10-16-2012, 04:26 AM   #7
(female)

Calin HB UserCalin HB UserCalin HB User

[QUOTE=Boopie1963;5072936]I just got back from a consultation with the surgeon looks like the herniation is 12-15MM with nerve impingement I'm sceduled for surgery on 11/1 for a microdisecamy

Hope this will be the end on my pain I can't live like this that's for sure[/QUOTE]

Boopie1963...I responded to a post of yours and someone else in another thread. I wish you the absolute best success in your upcoming surgery. I will follow your progress as well if you post.

I will know tomorrow when I see the doctor if they will schedule another injection or if I will consult with a surgeon. Were you born in 63? I'm always wondering about age because I am 59 and I full-well know that as we age we take longer to heal, so while I support all here, I am always hoping to connect with someone who is near my age as recovery and other issues may be more similar, along with other more normal age-related degenerative spine issues that throw more into the mix along with the pain.

Take Care of you!

Closed Thread