It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
(female)

madter78 HB User
MRI on my back...

I am trying to understand the MRI that was taken on my back...

they are talking about the L1 L2 Disc is mildly sessicated and reveals mild diffuse buge. It indents the thecal sac, without any significant central canal or neural foraminal narrowing.. The bulge measures appro 2 mm in size...

Not quite understanding. I fell to my hands and feet about 9 years ago, I am wondering if this is from the fall....

Old 10-08-2012, 04:41 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User
Re: MRI on my back.....

First of all, the lumbar region, is the lower back of the spine. It is the most common area to have issues when it comes to the spine. Also the cervical or the neck region is very prone to injury. The thoracic is the mid back and is the most protected area of the back so less likely for an issue to occur in this region.

It is difficult to give you a great deal of information from what you posted. But disc dessication is this. First of all think of your spine is bone and in each level of bone there is this cushion; like a grape. It is very soft like a grape.

As we all age there will be changes in this cushion. As time goes on it will lose its height and tend to flatten out. So this cushion is getting smaller due to usually degenerative changes.

You didnt state how old you are. But most people past 18, if you take an MRI onf the spine you will notice changes in the spine. It is all part of the ageing process.

But the issue is this some people , most people at one point in time will experience back issues. Some others may show chagnes in the spine and yet show no symptoms.

But it comes down to what are your symptoms and how it is affecting your quality of life.

Mild disc bulges dont surprise me. But again are you showing any symptoms such as pain going down the leg; difficulty sitting for any length of time .

As to the size of the bulge I am not sure if that is a problem or not. That the doctor can tell you more as to whether that is a slight bulge or more advanced. If it progresses it can herniated which is more severe.

You said you fell about 9 years ago? Did you have any problems right after the fall. It's difficult for me to say if it is causally related or not to the current back issues.

Can you give us more details directly from the MRI and quote the report. There is usually a section at the very end of the report as well as to their Impression meaning the radiologist that is reading the report.

Who ordered the MRI? Are you seeing an orthopedist or neurologist/surgeon? If you are just a suggestion be sure that you see someone that specializes in spine issues and that is part of their primary practice.

Again what are you symptoms? Are you on any pain medication or anti inflammatory medication? What about physical therapy? Loads of questions but really need more input from you.

If you have any questions there are tons of people here that have spine issues. I have personally been dealing with spine issues for 24 years and still facing challenges. I have been thru 7 spine surgereis and have severe issues.

If in the event surgery does come your way I suggest conservative treatment first. meaning medication physical therapy accupuncture. Surgery should only be done as a last resort and as with any surgery especially the spine there are many risks.

Good luck and ask if you need more input.

Allan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
(female)

madter78 HB User

[QUOTE=pebblebeach3;5069212]First of all, the lumbar region, is the lower back of the spine. It is the most common area to have issues when it comes to the spine. Also the cervical or the neck region is very prone to injury. The thoracic is the mid back and is the most protected area of the back so less likely for an issue to occur in this region.

It is difficult to give you a great deal of information from what you posted. But disc dessication is this. First of all think of your spine is bone and in each level of bone there is this cushion; like a grape. It is very soft like a grape.

As we all age there will be changes in this cushion. As time goes on it will lose its height and tend to flatten out. So this cushion is getting smaller due to usually degenerative changes.

You didnt state how old you are. But most people past 18, if you take an MRI onf the spine you will notice changes in the spine. It is all part of the ageing process.

But the issue is this some people , most people at one point in time will experience back issues. Some others may show chagnes in the spine and yet show no symptoms.

But it comes down to what are your symptoms and how it is affecting your quality of life.

Mild disc bulges dont surprise me. But again are you showing any symptoms such as pain going down the leg; difficulty sitting for any length of time .

As to the size of the bulge I am not sure if that is a problem or not. That the doctor can tell you more as to whether that is a slight bulge or more advanced. If it progresses it can herniated which is more severe.

You said you fell about 9 years ago? Did you have any problems right after the fall. It's difficult for me to say if it is causally related or not to the current back issues.

Can you give us more details directly from the MRI and quote the report. There is usually a section at the very end of the report as well as to their Impression meaning the radiologist that is reading the report.

Who ordered the MRI? Are you seeing an orthopedist or neurologist/surgeon? If you are just a suggestion be sure that you see someone that specializes in spine issues and that is part of their primary practice.

Again what are you symptoms? Are you on any pain medication or anti inflammatory medication? What about physical therapy? Loads of questions but really need more input from you.

If you have any questions there are tons of people here that have spine issues. I have personally been dealing with spine issues for 24 years and still facing challenges. I have been thru 7 spine surgereis and have severe issues.

If in the event surgery does come your way I suggest conservative treatment first. meaning medication physical therapy accupuncture. Surgery should only be done as a last resort and as with any surgery especially the spine there are many risks.

Good luck and ask if you need more input.

Allan[/QUOTE]
Hi pebblebearch3, just replying to you... I had an injury back in 2001, I slipped on water walking into a building..I have had knee problems and also shoulder problems. 3 surgeries.....

This back stuff... I have alot of pain in the hip... I thought but doctor wanted a MRI and to find out it is the back.... I get numbness in the leg, pain in the hip and leg all the time.... I have never been in an accident at all just this fall....

the results read:

Diffused posterior and left foraminal bulge of L4-5 disc, causing mild narrowing of the central canal and neural foramina, bilaterally. The bulge meas is 3mm
Milk diffuse bulge of L1-2 and L5-S1 discs. without any significant central canal or neural foraminal narrowing... The bulges is 2mm in size.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
(male)

backem HB User

[QUOTE=madter78;5069588]Hi pebblebearch3, just replying to you... I had an injury back in 2001, I slipped on water walking into a building..I have had knee problems and also shoulder problems. 3 surgeries.....

This back stuff... I have alot of pain in the hip... I thought but doctor wanted a MRI and to find out it is the back.... I get numbness in the leg, pain in the hip and leg all the time.... I have never been in an accident at all just this fall....

the results read:

Diffused posterior and left foraminal bulge of L4-5 disc, causing mild narrowing of the central canal and neural foramina, bilaterally. The bulge meas is 3mm
Milk diffuse bulge of L1-2 and L5-S1 discs. without any significant central canal or neural foraminal narrowing... The bulges is 2mm in size.[/QUOTE]

Well, your hip and leg problems may have been a result of the fall which have just not recently started manifesting themselves. You may have injured your back in the fall (as well as your knee and shoulder) but your back issues are just now surfacing to a greater extent as you get older.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: MRI on my back...

The disc bulges are very small and are not impacting the spinal nerves in any way. Since your fall was so long ago, I would be amazed if the two events are related in any way. Usually a disc bulge of that size will heal on its own within six to eight weeks, or it will evolve into something larger and possibly herniate. This would not be evolving for nine years.

Closed Thread