HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Back Problems (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/back-problems/)
-   -   Please help!!!! (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/back-problems/922352-please-help.html)

shemika770 10-09-2012 05:04 PM

Please help!!!!

Hello all, I have been dealing with pain from an L4-L5 & L5-S1 herinated disc with nerve damage since Feb. 2012. I have tried everything possibe. I am taking pain medicine like candy and feel as if I have lost my entire life. Can anyone out there please help with any advice. I do not have any insurance so it is hard to go to the doctor the way I really need to. Any advice would be greatly appreicated.

cheryl1213 10-09-2012 07:59 PM

Re: Please help!!!!

That's tough. An MRI would prob be a useful step, read by a neurosurgeon or by an orthopedic spine doc. The lack of insurance poses an issue there...maybe there is a low-cost facility that might be able to help.

nochange 10-09-2012 09:16 PM

Nerve damage where? how do they know you have nerve damage?

Who prescribe you the pain killers?

shemika770 10-10-2012 06:28 AM

I had an MRI done and was told that I have the nerve damage as well. I have pain up and down my left leg everyday. I can not lie on my left side. I can not stand for more than 10-15 min. I can not sit up for more than 1-2 hours and I can not lie down long either. I am currently taking over the counter medicine but it does not really work. I haven't had any prescribed medicine since the last time I went to get a back injection from the local pain clinic. I have to pay $300 everytime I go, so I'm not able to go like I need to.

nochange 10-10-2012 07:34 AM

If you cannot sit and cannot stand. Then how do you work?
Aren't you on disability?

shemika770 10-10-2012 10:55 AM

I can not work. I have applied for disablity but it has not been approved yet.

cheryl1213 10-10-2012 11:23 AM

I hear you on that note....I'm waiting too. I tried to hold out for a long time, even well after I became mostly bed-ridden (push to get some time with the BF and some movement in to keep some fitness level), and finally gave in. Got the initial "no" that most folks get but got help on the appeal and just got some new info to supplement (not good news, but "proof" of the pain so good for the case). Seems like waiting is almost punishment for not giving in and applying before I was really certain it was going to be a long-haul and had tried a number of avenues. I could also use the added insurance options I believe come with approval (currently insured but at $870/month due to a change....found plans that TAKE you w/ issues but most seem to limit coverage for stuff you've been already in treatment for....)

I am NOT one of them, but some people here are pretty good at understanding MRI reports and hopefully someone can help in that sense. Just wanted to send more support on the SSDI front...

I do not know about it at all, but is Medicaid an option?? It is not an avenue for me right now, but thought it worth a mention

shemika770 10-10-2012 01:01 PM

No, it's not an option. I am getting tired of this waiting game myself. I feel like if they stop all these people that have never paid a dime into Social Security and have nothing at all wrong with them from filing all these false claims just to get some money, then the people that have actually paid in and are entitled to the benefits can actually get there benefits instead of the run around. I don't understand it.

teteri66 10-10-2012 04:47 PM

I have a couple suggestions for things you can try that don't cost much.

Use ice for pain when it is especially troublesome. 15-20 minutes per hour, round the clock if necessary, being careful not to freeze the skin.

Sometimes people get more relief from alternating ice with heat. Play around with it and see what works for you.

Assuming your still have herniated or bulging discs, get hold of a book by Robin McKenzie called [/B]Treat Your Own Back[/B]. McKenzie is a physio from New Zealand who designed a system for evaluating and treating disc issues that is used by PTs all over the world. This book contains a series of exercises that people have used to help heal disc herniations. The exercises are designed to get the pain to move up out of the legs into the lower lumbar area, and then hopefully, to heal the herniated disc without surgical intervention.

While you have these issues you must be very careful to avoid all activities that involve bending or twisting at the waist, pushing, pulling, reaching up overhead or to the side, limit what you lift to the weight of a gallon of mild, (no heavy gracery bags), no jolting or jiggling rides, rough roads, etc. And you have to avoid these things faithfully for a good eight weeks or so. Wear flat shoes; avoid walking on inclines, up or down hills, on rough ground. You have to really baby your back.

Another thing to try while dealing with sciatica. Lie on your back on the floor with your body in a straight line. Bend knees with feet flat on the floor. Arms should be close to your sides, with palms facing up. Tip chin ever so slightly toward chest --you don't want to be looking up toward the ceiling. Now, breathe deeply and slowly from the belly and relax. This position provides a sort of natural traction and allows the discs to unload.

Strike554 10-10-2012 05:19 PM

I know how you are feeling. Any type of medical visits/imaging/invasive techniques are very expensive.

Sounds like surgery is your best option, maybe you can work out some type of payment plan with a hospital or neurosurgeon?

Also stay away from injections for right now. there is a menigitis outbreak

workinmom572 10-10-2012 11:11 PM

That is just not fair you have to suffer like this. All medical.is negotiable if you call and ask for a discount if you pay cash upfront They may give you $50-$100 off. ( I used to be a medical biller) and also without insurance and unable to work your Dr should be able to help you apply for prescription drug assistance directly from.the drug manufacturers and often It's next to nothing or completley free with a hardship like this. Good luck and feel better soon I hope!

talisker 10-11-2012 10:38 AM

You say you have tried everything. What does that include?

Omazoliy 10-14-2012 08:10 AM

Shemika770 , I found lying down and stretching your back every now and then, doing the day helps relieve the back. Hot moist heating pads help and an hot shower. Massage pad vibrators used everyday bring some relief. As easy as it seems to just take a pain pill will cause other problems for you so be careful an not do any heavy work when you are on pain pills because this will end up damaging your back more.